ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four: who y’all got?

Uconn
Baylor
Florida
Purdue

I am wrong most of the time so I hope I am on this one and UK is in there.

I've approached my bracket a little different this year.

I prefer ESPN's Tourney Challenge platform, but the "official" NCAA March Madness platform has a cool feature where you can create your own algorithmic analysis using a number of stats and metrics, and see picks using whatever analysis you create.

I created an analysis that, in my opinion, favors the most important stats historically in terms of tournament success:

Overall efficiency, effective FG%, 3PT%, offensive rebounding, second chance points, true shooting percentage, NET ranking (So SOS is taken into account), and a couple of other offensive stats.

My system really likes UConn over Purdue in the title game.

Some other notable outcomes:
- Colorado in the Sweet 16
- Alabama in the Elite 8
- UAB over SDSU
- James Madison over Houston
- Gonzaga in the Sweet 16
- Samford over Kansas
- UK to the Final Four
- Arizona to Final Four

Normally, I just go with my gut (and to be fair, some of the picks this generated do conflict with what my gut tells me) but I wanted to switch it up this season after I discovered this feature.

Reactions: Smashcat
UConn
Baylor
Houston
Tennessee

I think it could turn wild like last year, but picking who those teams might be is nearly impossible.

It's crazy how many posters on here expect UK to make the Final Four.

I'll be rooting like crazy for my Cats (as always), but this team has not done anything that makes me think they can do it. Hell, I'm just hoping they can make the 2nd weekend.
If we didn’t have such a great draw, I might see your point. We have a tremendous opportunity to go to the final weekend.

Reactions: BlueBomb
It's crazy how many posters on here expect UK to make the Final Four.

I'll be rooting like crazy for my Cats (as always), but this team has not done anything that makes me think they can do it. Hell, I'm just hoping they can make the 2nd weekend.

I personally don't think we will. But, my algorithm says we will, so I went with it, just to take a different approach this season lol.

UConn (who I have winning the title)
Arizona
Houston
Purdue

Probably a little too chalky to be totally accurate, but a just don’t feel strongly enough about any of the dark horses to actually pick them. Auburn was probably the one I considered the most, but they have the misfortune of being lined up for a Sweet 16 game with UConn.

Hoping our Cats make it but , IMHO, we have not shown we can play well enough to advance that far, regardless of our draw. Hope like I'm wrong and KENTUCKY wins the whole thing.

I'm also liking Mississippi State, as they are playing well and have all the pieces to make a run. I have Houston winning it all in my bracket.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
My final 4 are….

Iowa St.
Arizona
Houston
Purdue

Iowa St. vs Houston for title

Iowa St 2024 National Champion

I have

UConn
New Mexico
South Carolina
Kentucky
Seeing the top 10 lose as much as they did this year. I feel like this could be a crazy turbulent tournament or just chalk. I'm going with turbulent. I know UConn has the greatest chance to repeat, but I hoping something like.

BYU
Baylor
Kentucky
Creighton

As far as the 1s go I just don't trust Purdue, UNC or HOU to make PHX. I do think UConn gets there. I also think KU, ARZ and Dook could all choke early.

Well there was another whole thread on this earlier in the week, but mine are:
UCONN
Houston
Arizona
Creighton

Seeing the top 10 lose as much as they did this year. I feel like this could be a crazy turbulent tournament or just chalk. I'm going with turbulent. I know UConn has the greatest chance to repeat, but I hoping something like.

BYU
Baylor
Kentucky
Creighton

As far as the 1s go I just don't trust Purdue, UNC or HOU to make PHX. I do think UConn gets there. I also think KU, ARZ and Dook could all choke early.

UConn might have the highest chance of winning this tournament, but their chances of repeating are very low. Only thirteen teams have repeated as champions.

• Oklahoma A&M – 1945-46
  • Kentucky – 1948-49
  • San Fransisco – 1955-56
  • Cincinnati – 1961-62
  • UCLA – 1964-65, 1967-68, 1968-1969, 1969-70, 1970-71, 1971-72, 1972-73
  • Duke – 1991-92
  • Florida – 2006-07

Only eight teams have won their conference tournament and gone on to win the NCAA tournament since 2002.

2004: UConn
2006: Florida
2007: Florida
2008: Kansas
2010: Duke
2011: UConn
2013: Louisville
2018: Villanova

Only one in the last ten years.

UConn (who I have winning the title)
Arizona
Houston
Purdue

Probably a little too chalky to be totally accurate, but a just don’t feel strongly enough about any of the dark horses to actually pick them. Auburn was probably the one I considered the most, but they have the misfortune of being lined up for a Sweet 16 game with UConn.
I have one bracket with Same 4 and another switching out Purdue for TN.

Me and my fellow posters who picked Creighton are starting to sweat about now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT