ADVERTISEMENT

Film Fans - Greatest Movies

Wow amazing, and a good bargain. I actually don’t have all that many DVD’s to begin with so different situation I suppose, but I’ll keep it in mind.

Something in me is paranoid about going fully digital. Probably silly. While of course I use iTunes almost daily and Google photos I’ve kept hard copy CD’s of my favorite music and we print an album of “best of” photo’s for each year just in case.

I got rid of all my CDs around 2012.

I was leary of going digital with the movies too but I took a leap of faith.

So far when companies change hands they allow you to transfer all your movies to the new platform by a certain cutoff date.

Most Goodwill stores in KY only charge .99 for a single DVD now. Box sets and tv series can be slightly more, but it's a good deal. I got the complete six feet under series DVD boxset at the Nicholasville store for 9.99 🤣

I rarely ever buy movies that I want unless it's something I'll watch a lot and is an all time favorite or hard to find. When I managed Blockbuster I had over 1000 movies on DVD and VHS and sold most of them.

Reactions: bigdaddy741
I rarely ever buy movies that I want unless it's something I'll watch a lot and is an all time favorite or hard to find.
I’m gonna try to keep it to this approach. Saw plenty of other movies I love, but they’re streaming all the time. Planning to keep it to just all-time favs or hard to finds.

It's a hobby for me to collect them. Kinda like baseball cards.

I'm stingy though. I only buy digital movies on sale. Last year Vudu had several 3 movie for $5 sales. Combining that with the $2 disc to digital has allowed me to rack up and build my collection quickly.

The best deal I've gotten is the entire Saw movie collection for $2. I've still only watched the first 4 films though. lol

Saw Tenet this weekend. Anybody wanna explain to me WTF I just watched?
Um, yeah, this was hard to follow. I mean, as it unfolded, I began to get the what was happening for the most part, just can’t comprehend understand how it’s happening. Will definitely need a second watch to understand it better. Amazing Stunts and special effects though to be expected from C. Nolan. Things going backward and forward at the same time all over the place.

Last edited:
I have another question for y'all.

What movies do you rate higher than their normal average. I compare my rating to IMDB.

Mine with the biggest difference:

The Ladykillers (Tom Hanks version. Me - 9, IMDB - 6.2

2 Days in the Valley, Me - 9, IMDB - 6.5

Hall Pass, Me - 8, IMDB 5.8

Plan 9 from Outer Space, Me - 8, IMDB -4 (I know it's terrible but it's so bad it's good)

What movies do you rate higher than their normal average. I compare my rating to IMDB.

Plan 9 from Outer Space, Me - 8, IMDB -4 (I know it's terrible but it's so bad it's good)
So basically, what are some guilty pleasures? I like it. I’ll post some soon.

Just finished a rewatch of Blade Runner (Final Cut on HBO Max). It had been a long time. While not among my all-time favorites, I do like it and I definitely appreciate its influence. Such a visually stunning film.

Well I'm going to use the rating Flickchart says how I should rate it elsewhere based on where I have it ranked
+3.7 The Houses October Builter 8.9 vs. 5.2
+3.4 Semi-Pro 9.2 vs. 5.8
+2.9 Grave Encounters 9.0 vs. 6.1
+2.8 Can't Hardly Wait 9.3 vs. 6.5
+2.7 Talladega Night 9.3 vs. 6.6
+2.6 As Above, So Below 8.8 vs. 6.2
+2.5 Hereditary 9.8 vs. 7.3
+2.5 The Fountain 9.7 vs. 7.2
+2.3 Anchorman 9.5 vs. 7.2
+2.2 Creep 8.5 vs. 6.3
+2.2 It Comes at Night 8.4 vs. 6.2
+2.2 Blue is the Warmest Color 9.9 vs. 7.7
+2.2 Lost in Translation 9.9 vs. 7.7
+2.2 The Farewell 9.8 vs. 7.6
+2.2 Lady Bird 9.6 vs. 7.4
+2.2 Moonlight 9.6 vs. 7.4
+2.1 Before Midnight 10 vs. 7.9
+2.1 Garden State 9.5 vs. 7.4
+2.0 28 Days Later 9.6 vs. 7.6
+2.0 It (2017) 9.3 vs. 7.3
+2.0 Mallrats 9.1 vs. 7.1
+2.0 The VVitch 8.9 vs. 6.9

Most of mine with the largest difference are comedies. A few dramas though

Boiler Room: In my top 100, but in the 2000’s globally on Flickchart. I’m in finance so I really like this film.

Vanilla Sky: In my top 300, but in 3000’s on Flickchart.

Comedy:
Honeymoon in Vegas and Harry and the Henderson’s are in my top 300, but in the 5000’s on Flickchart

There’s plenty of other wide discrepancies, but the granddaddy for me may be RV. In my top 500, but in the 20,000’s on Flickchart, lol!! C’mon, it’s not that terrible is it? Haha

Boiler Room: In my top 100, but in the 2000’s globally on Flickchart. I’m in finance so I really like this film.

Comedy:
Honeymoon in Vegas and Harry and the Henderson’s are in my top 300, but in the 5000’s on Flickchart

There’s plenty of other wide discrepancies, but the granddaddy for me may be RV. In my top 500, but in the 20,000’s on Flickchart, lol!! C’mon, it’s not that terrible is it? Haha
Vanilla Sky is a good movie. It's a remake of a Spanish film though, have you seen the original Abre Los Ojos? The Spanish version is generally regarded as better

I think this is the best scene in this movie. With that said Arthur Lee Allen was more than likely not the zodiac. He sure freaked out Dave Toschi in real life. And I can see why with the answers he gave.

I think this is the best scene in this movie. With that said Arthur Lee Allen was more than likely not the zodiac. He sure freaked out Dave Toschi in real life. And I can see why with the answers he gave.

Good call.

I read the book in 1999 and I couldn't put it down.

Graysmith was 100% convinced Arthur Lee Allen was the Zodiac back then.

Comedy:

Okay, doing based on Flickchart here are some of mine:

The Life of David Gale 53 vs 4918

We Were Soldiers 86 vs 3256

Payback 107 vs 3133

Red State 114 vs 3740

I think Vanilla Sky is very good, too.

I'll keep looking to see if I have anything in my top 500 that's around 20,000. lmao

If we going to do based on flickchart standings, I have some real doozies in my top 100...

I kid you not with this one, this one might be a record
+69,543 A Secret Love - a very highly rated documentary on Netflix, but like most things Netflix has released, it's been poorly marketed, if any at all, and got lost in a sea of a million other things they release the same month, so not many have seen it.

+57,125 Shithouse - a nice chill independent romantic drama that released during COVID and like mostly everything else released during COVID, if it wasn't a major production it basically got buried

+55,996 for The Houses October Built - found footage horror movie, it's what most would call a deep cut in the horror genre.

+40,683 Unguarded - this was the Chris Herren 30 for 30

+10,296 First Cow
+8231 As Above, So Below
+7834 Semi-Pro
+7677 Grave Encounters
+6186 Anchorman 2
+5559 Minari
+5090 Creep
+5085 The Autopsy of Jane Doe
+4626 It Comes at Night
+4153 Seven Pounds
+3713 The Great Gatsby (2013)
+3680 Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
+3455 The Fault in Our Stars
+3180 The Notebook
+2932 The Blair Witch Project
+2549 Can't Hardly Wait
+2468 Talladega Nights
+2395 Saw
+2232 The Fountain
+2223 White Men Can't Jump
+2182 The Farewell
+2117 Pride & Prejudice (2005)
+2060 The Spectacular Now

If we going to do based on flickchart standings, I have some real doozies in my top 100...

I kid you not with this one, this one might be a record
+69,543 A Secret Love - a very highly rated documentary on Netflix, but like most things Netflix has released, it's been poorly marketed, if any at all, and got lost in a sea of a million other things they release the same month, so not many have seen it.

+57,125 Shithouse - a nice chill independent romantic drama that released during COVID and like mostly everything else released during COVID, if it wasn't a major production it basically got buried

+55,996 for The Houses October Built - found footage horror movie, it's what most would call a deep cut in the horror genre.

+40,683 Unguarded - this was the Chris Herren 30 for 30

+10,296 First Cow
+8231 As Above, So Below
+7834 Semi-Pro
+7677 Grave Encounters
+6186 Anchorman 2
+5559 Minari
+5090 Creep
+5085 The Autopsy of Jane Doe
+4626 It Comes at Night
+4153 Seven Pounds
+3713 The Great Gatsby (2013)
+3680 Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
+3455 The Fault in Our Stars
+3180 The Notebook
+2932 The Blair Witch Project
+2549 Can't Hardly Wait
+2468 Talladega Nights
+2395 Saw
+2232 The Fountain
+2223 White Men Can't Jump
+2182 The Farewell
+2117 Pride & Prejudice (2005)
+2060 The Spectacular Now

I've thought about watching The House October Built but I wasn't sure if I'd like it.

I love anything related to Halloween but I'm not too crazy about found footage movies.

Creep is excellent.

I just finished Sullivan's Travels.

It's pretty darn good in my opinion and has all the classic traits of a movie from the 1940's

I'm so glad cinema went away from the fast talking Transatlantic accent. You have to be on your toes to catch all of the banter.

Another thing that fascinates me about films from the 40's is when they talk about the price of items, income, etc. I remember in Double Indemnity that Fred McMurray talks about a mansion in LA costing around $20K. This movie talks about costs and income several due to the plot.

I just finished Sullivan's Travels.

It's pretty darn good in my opinion and has all the classic traits of a movie from the 1940's

I'm so glad cinema went away from the fast talking Transatlantic accent. You have to be on your toes to catch all of the banter.

Another thing that fascinates me about films from the 40's is when they talk about the price of items, income, etc. I remember in Double Indemnity that Fred McMurray talks about a mansion in LA costing around $20K. This movie talks about costs and income several due to the plot.
I’ll be damn. Earlier tonight before reading this, I swear I discovered I had a burned copy of Sullivan’s Travels. This is one of only 4 films on the AFI list (1998 and 2007) I haven’t seen. Was so excited to discover I had it and plan to watch tomorrow night.

Cary Grant should be the only person allowed to speak Transatlantic. He pulls it off in style and most everyone else sounds foolish.

I’ll be damn. Earlier tonight before reading this, I swear I discovered I had a burned copy of Sullivan’s Travels. This is one of only 4 films on the AFI list (1998 and 2007) I haven’t seen. Was so excited to discover I had it and plan to watch tomorrow night.

Cary Grant should be the only person allowed to speak Transatlantic. He pulls it off in style and most everyone else sounds foolish.

I remember that being one of the movies you haven't watched so I made sure not to include any spoilers.

What are the other 3 you have left?

I remember that being one of the movies you haven't watched so I made sure not to include any spoilers.

What are the other 3 you have left?
Just that and Nashville from the 2007 list and Stagecoach and Birth of a Nation on the 1998 list. So 4 total. Stagecoach is on HBO and I think BOAN is public domain on YouTube. Need to just knock these last few out. Got more excited about other lists (like Sight and Sound) and newer stuff for a while.

For those using it, how many movies are on your Flickchart? I’ve only ranked 900. Surprised it’s not a lot more. I have intentionally left a lot off though - because, while I’ve seen it, I don’t remember them well enough to rank. It would probably still be only a few hundred more though.

For those using it, how many movies are on your Flickchart? I’ve only ranked 900. Surprised it’s not a lot more. I have intentionally left a lot off though - because, while I’ve seen it, I don’t remember them well enough to rank. It would probably still be only a few hundred more though.

1917, but I've been using it for a couple of years.

Just that and Nashville from the 2007 list and Stagecoach and Birth of a Nation on the 1998 list. So 4 total. Stagecoach is on HBO and I think BOAN is public domain on YouTube. Need to just knock these last few out. Got more excited about other lists (like Sight and Sound) and newer stuff for a while.

I can't remember if I mentioned it before but there is an app called JustWatch and it shows where you can steam any movie or TV show.

I create a watchlist and just wait for my movies to be added somewhere.

I give Stagecoach and Nashville both 8/10.

I'd you're a Robert Altman fan you'll like Nashville more. I'm not a huge fan of his but Nashville is probably my favorite.

Birth of a Nation is worth the watch but it's long and racist AF. I think I would like it more edited down to about 2 hours.

I can't remember if I mentioned it before but there is an app called JustWatch and it shows where you can steam any movie or TV show.

I create a watchlist and just wait for my movies to be added somewhere.

I give Stagecoach and Nashville both 8/10.

I'd you're a Robert Altman fan you'll like Nashville more. I'm not a huge fan of his but Nashville is probably my favorite.

Birth of a Nation is worth the watch but it's long and racist AF. I think I would like it more edited down to about 2 hours.
I’ll definitely check out that App! Thanks for the recommendation. Only 3 AFI films to go as I just finished Sullivan’s Travels. Not sure it’s one of the Top 100 American Films, but it was enjoyable. Took a pretty serious turn in the 3rd act.

Stagecoach is on HBO so I’ll probably get to it in the next few days. I just need to find Nashville. I’ll check that App. Worse case I know can just rent it on Prime for a few bucks. I’m trying to prepare myself for some cringe-worthy moments in Birth of a Nation. Probably why I’ve put it off for last.

Apologies if someone has already mentioned..SAM PECKINPAH flicks (doubt that’s the case though)

THE WILD BUNCH

...brilliant, poetic, and insanely violent film

Apologies if someone has already mentioned..SAM PECKINPAH flicks (doubt that’s the case though)

THE WILD BUNCH

The hotel shootout in The Getaway (Steve McQueen not Alec Baldwin). Hard to beat Peckinpah directing with Walter Hill writing.

Walter Hill is underrated by the general public. This dude wrote some of the baddest ass movies in history with The Getaway, Hard Times, The Warriors, The Driver, Southern Comfort, The Long Riders and 48 hrs. Talk about a body of work for a writer. Amazing everyone on earth doesn't know his name like Quinten Tarantino. Every single one of those movies are badass.

I’ll definitely check out that App! Thanks for the recommendation. Only 3 AFI films to go as I just finished Sullivan’s Travels. Not sure it’s one of the Top 100 American Films, but it was enjoyable. Took a pretty serious turn in the 3rd act.

Stagecoach is on HBO so I’ll probably get to it in the next few days. I just need to find Nashville. I’ll check that App. Worse case I know can just rent it on Prime for a few bucks. I’m trying to prepare myself for some cringe-worthy moments in Birth of a Nation. Probably why I’ve put it off for last.

I've had lots of luck finding many of the movies at the local library.

I don't know if yours has DVDs or is close but it's something you might consider.

I first saw Nashville on TCM and I recently purchased it on Vudu for $2

I've had lots of luck finding many of the movies at the local library.

I don't know if yours has DVDs or is close but it's something you might consider.

I first saw Nashville on TCM and I recently purchased it on Vudu for $2
You’re blowing my mind dude. Literally one step ahead of me on numerous things, like Sullivan’s Travels the other day. Now the library! My local library is a block from my office. I walked down at lunch just earlier today! While they didn’t have Nashville they had Birth of a Nation so I checked it out just to go through the process and get my card even though it’s still on Youtube.

They had tons of DVDs so I’m gonna cross reference what else I need to see with the App you recommended and if it’s not streaming somewhere I’ll check the library. You’ve been a tremendous help and a blast to chat with too. Thanks so much!

You’re blowing my mind dude. Literally one step ahead of me on numerous things, like Sullivan’s Travels the other day. Now the library! My local library is a block from my office. I walked down at lunch just earlier today! While they didn’t have Nashville they had Birth of a Nation so I checked it out just to go through the process and get my card even though it’s still on Youtube.

They had tons of DVDs so I’m gonna cross reference what else I need to see with the App you recommended and if it’s not streaming somewhere I’ll check the library. You’ve been a tremendous help and a blast to chat with too. Thanks so much!

I don't like to brag but I'm a pro at this stuff. lol

I like this too and I don't see any reason this thread can't have a long life.

The Coronavirus thread is nearing immortality with only the same 5-10 posters.

We just need a few more to jump in here or some who have need to keep coming back.

Stagecoach completed. The cinematography was the best part IMO. I wonder if the wide panoramas were Monument Valley? I really want to get out there and see that part of the country. Parts were a bit campy but the action scene where the Apache’s were pursuing the stagecoach was really very good. Thomas Mitchell as Doc Boone was great.

Just 2 to go from both AFI lists!

Stagecoach completed. The cinematography was the best part IMO. I wonder if the wide panoramas were Monument Valley? I really want to get out there and see that part of the country. Parts were a bit campy but the action scene where the Apache’s were pursuing the stagecoach was really very good. Thomas Mitchell as Doc Boone was great.

Just 2 to go from both AFI lists!

Yeah, the camp is the biggest drawback for that movie.

The action is quite good for a 1939 film.

I haven't seen it in several years so it's a bit fuzzy for me.

THE WILD BUNCH

Along with Bonnie and Clyde, the Wild Bunch set a new bar for bloody violence in film. Some of the earliest “New Hollywood” films that began ushering out “The Golden Age”

The Shining
Eyes Wide Shut
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Nausicaä: of the Valley of the Wind
Howl’s Moving Castle
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Grand Budapest Hotel
Halloween
Interesting list. I’ve only seen the Shining and Halloween. Spirited Away is on my watchlist and I intend to get to it soon.

The hotel shootout in The Getaway (Steve McQueen not Alec Baldwin). Hard to beat Peckinpah directing with Walter Hill writing.

Walter Hill is underrated by the general public. This dude wrote some of the baddest ass movies in history with The Getaway, Hard Times, The Warriors, The Driver, Southern Comfort, The Long Riders and 48 hrs. Talk about a body of work for a writer. Amazing everyone on earth doesn't know his name like Quinten Tarantino. Every single one of those movies are badass.
Thanks for pointing those out as I’m not as familiar with some of the prolific screenwriters as I should be. Will have to check out The Driver and the long riders as those were the only ones I haven’t seen. I did enjoy Hard Times...Charles Bronson‘s like 47 and in incredible shape kicking ass...loved James Coburn also. 48 hours holds up well

Reactions: Lord Z
Along with Bonnie and Clyde, the Wild Bunch set a new bar for bloody violence in film. Some of the earliest “New Hollywood” films that began ushering out “The Golden Age”
Yes, good point. I’m actually watching a documentary right now called ‘A Decade Under the Influence‘ which is dedicated to the New Hollywood as you mentioned. Basically your guys like Jack Nicholson, Bruce Dern, Dennis Hopper,etc. are profiled. Also the key directors and screenwriters that made it all happen.

By the way a great book called “the kid stays in the picture“is worth a look regarding this era. It’s about Robert Evans who took Paramount Studios from the dumpster to producing films such as Rosemarys baby, Godfather one, Godfather two, Chinatown, on and on. He was married to Allie McGraw before Steve McQueen cut in and took her off his hands because he was the coolest bastard in town. Then he married Ms. America Phyllis George... then John Y. Brown took her off his hands... because he ripped off the Col. and had KFC $. He was the guy that was embroiled in the cotton club murders if you recall... went broke, lost his house, and his best friend Jack Nicholson bought his house back for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT