ADVERTISEMENT

Film Fans - Greatest Movies

And not a movie but I don't care I'm throwing it out there because it's foreign language - Dark on Netflix is one of the best things I have ever watched.

Reactions: Lord Z
I recommend going on an Alfred Hitchcock binge. I rewatched as many as I could a few years back and they are all great. They had better stars back then. We don't have Jimmy Stewarts and Cary Grants anymore.

Speaking of that, I'd like to see Ben Affleck's little brother Casey get a few better roles as he sort of reminds me of a young Dustin Hoffman, especially in The Killer Inside Me. He was great in Gone Baby Gone as well.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I recommend going on an Alfred Hitchcock binge. I rewatched as many as I could a few years back and they are all great. They had better stars back then. We don't have Jimmy Stewarts and Cary Grants anymore.

Speaking of that, I'd like to see Ben Affleck's little brother Casey get a few better roles as he sort of reminds me of a young Dustin Hoffman, especially in The Killer Inside Me. He was great in Gone Baby Gone as well.
Love Cary Grant. George Clooney would’ve been good for Hitchcock films IMO. My favorite Hitchcock films are:

North by Northwest
Vertigo
Psycho
Strangers on a Train
Rear Window

I re-watched Modern Times last night because it was the first Chaplin movie that I ever watched.

That was years ago and I didn't like it or appreciate it at the time. That is why I decided to re-watch it.

After a second viewing I've changed my opinion and I think it is really good. Especially the ending when **spoiler alert** he sings, which was the first time his voice was ever in a movie. It also has a sweet story line.

It's not as good as City Lights or The Gold Rush but it's very good.

With the help of Bigdaddy’s Flickchart I ranked my favorite Best Pictures top to bottom (have seen 85 of 93). Here’s my top 20:
  1. The Godfather
  2. Rocky
  3. No Country for Old Men
  4. The Godfather Part 2
  5. Gladiator
  6. The Departed
  7. Braveheart
  8. A Beautiful Mind
  9. Forrest Gump
  10. Lord o/t Rings: Return King
  11. Lawrence of Arabia
  12. The Silence o/t Lambs
  13. One Flew Over... Cuckoo’s
  14. Casablanca
  15. Titanic
  16. Unforgiven
  17. Schindler’s List
  18. Argo
  19. Amadeus
  20. On the Waterfront

Okay, here is mine for Best Picture

1. Spotlight
2. Unforgiven
3. Braveheart
4. Schindler's List
5. Parasite
6. Casablance
7. No Country for Old Men
8. Amadeus
9. The French Connection
10. The Godfather II
11. The Sting
12. Forest Gump
13. The Apartment
14. American Beauty
15. Gladiator
16. The Silence of the Lambs
17. Titanic
18. Annie Hall
19. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
20. The Godfather

I have actually only seen 56 of the 93 so I have some work to do.

Okay, here is mine for Best Picture

1. Spotlight
2. Unforgiven
3. Braveheart
4. Schindler's List
5. Parasite
6. Casablance
7. No Country for Old Men
8. Amadeus
9. The French Connection
10. The Godfather II
11. The Sting
12. Forest Gump
13. The Apartment
14. American Beauty
15. Gladiator
16. The Silence of the Lambs
17. Titanic
18. Annie Hall
19. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
20. The Godfather

I have actually only seen 56 of the 93 so I have some work to do.
Cool! Don’t know what you haven’t seen, but since we seem to have pretty similar tastes, I can make some recommendations on what you might enjoy watching first.

@point1zero okay, here are the best picture winners I haven't seen

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
Rebecca
In the Heat of the Night
12 Years a Slave
The Lost Weekend
Marty
You Can't Take it With You
Moonlight
A Man for All Seasons
Ordinary People
The Shape of Water
The Artist
Million Dollar Baby
Terms of Endearment
Ghandi
The Last Emperor
Mrs. Miniver
Wings
How Green Was My Valley
Grand Hotel
Hamlet
Oliver!
Out of Africa
Gentlemen's Agreement
Green Book
Going My Way
Gigi
Nomadland
Around the World in 80 Days
The Life of Emile Zola
Tom Jones
The Greatest Show on Earth
The Great Ziegfeld
The Broadway Melody
Cimarron
Cavalcade

I need to rewatch Kramer vs Kramer because I haven't seen it since I was a kid.

Foreign language, just going off my flickchart, which very likely doesn't include some I have seen and liked
  • Portrait of a Lady on Fire
  • Blue is the Warmest Color
  • The Farewell
  • [REC]
  • The Witch - it's Old English, I'm counting it lol
  • Minari
  • Parasite
  • Come and See
  • The Passion of the Christ
  • Pan's Labyrinth
  • Amelie
  • Cache
  • Letters from Iwo Jima
  • Apocalypto

Oh man, I forgot about Apocalypto!!

It's awesome, I'd put it at the very top foreign language film along with Oldboy.

@point1zero okay, here are the best picture winners I haven't seen

4/5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
3/4. Rebecca
4. In the Heat of the Night
4. 12 Years a Slave
X. The Lost Weekend
4/5. Marty
3. You Can't Take it With You
4. Moonlight
X. A Man for All Seasons
3. Ordinary People
3. The Shape of Water
3/4. The Artist
4. Million Dollar Baby
4. Terms of Endearment
3. Ghandi
3. The Last Emperor
4/5. Mrs. Miniver
4. Wings
3. How Green Was My Valley
3. Grand Hotel
2. Hamlet
X. Oliver!
3. Out of Africa
2. Gentlemen's Agreement
X. Green Book
2. Going My Way
1. Gigi
4. Nomadland
1. Around the World in 80 Days
2. The Life of Emile Zola
3. Tom Jones
2. The Greatest Show on Earth
3. The Great Ziegfeld
X. The Broadway Melody
X. Cimarron
X. Cavalcade

I need to rewatch Kramer vs Kramer because I haven't seen it since I was a kid.
Don’t be too mad at me if you end up hating these recommendations, but I’ll rank my best and least favorites on a 1-5 scale with 5 being the best score and X being I haven’t seen it. Hope I don’t steer you wrong, lol. Even if you don’t like some, it’s pretty cool to say you’ve seen them all.

Reactions: bigdaddy741
Don’t be too mad at me if you end up hating these recommendations, but I’ll rank my best and least favorites on a 1-5 scale with 5 being the best score and X being I haven’t seen it. Hope I don’t steer you wrong, lol. Even if you don’t like some, it’s pretty cool to say you’ve seen them all.
Not bad grading. I would raise Gandhi to a 4 & Around the World in 80 Days to a 3 and lower The Artist to a 2 for my own personal tastes. Filling in a few you didn't see:

4 A Man for All Seasons (Captain Quinn shark's got doll eyes... Robert Shaw is the man c'mon!)
4 Oliver! (who will buy these bright red roses!!!)
3 Green Book (One of the weaker BP winners in one of the worst group of BP nominees in history)
X. Cimarron (Just realized I've seen the 1960 version not the BP winner from 1931)

Thank you, sir.

I plan to watch them all so don't worrying about steering me wrong.

I started watching Marty last night, I picked it at random, and I was really liking it but I got to sleepy. I'll finish it tonight.

Thank you, sir.

I plan to watch them all so don't worrying about steering me wrong.

I started watching Marty last night, I picked it at random, and I was really liking it but I got to sleepy. I'll finish it tonight.
Of the Oldies, I really like Marty. Sweet story. Borgnine is so genuine. You just really pull for his character.

I was surprised how much I liked Mrs. Miniver. Was expecting to have to force my way through that one, but it was very good. Same for Rebecca to a lesser extent.

Sunrise is a must if your trying to see the most acclaimed all-time. It’s on on the AFI list, the Sight and Sound list, etc.

Some of these are tough to get through IMO such as Around the World in 80 days, The Greatest Show on Earth, and Gigi. Too long, too corny. But I’m still glad I’ve seen them.

Here’s my All-time top 20. Yes, Harrison Ford is in all of my top 3. What can I say?
  1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. Star Wars
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  4. Back to the Future
  5. The Godfather
  6. Rocky
  7. Shawshank Redemption
  8. Jaws
  9. Goodfellas
  10. No Country For Old Men
  11. The Dark Night
  12. Pulp Fiction
  13. The Gladiator
  14. The Godfather Part. 2
  15. Return of the Jedi
  16. Braveheart
  17. There Will Be Blood
  18. This is Spinal Tap
  19. Elf
  20. The Natural

What are some really good drama / thriller movies out right now ?

Just recently watched Gone Baby Gone, really enjoyed it. Love the sequence with "Cheese". "Cheese if you ever disrespect her like like that again, I will pull your FN card, okay.." "Your gonna wish you listened to me, cause your little shitty pool hall syndicate headquarters is gonna get raided, and your doped up bitches are going to get sent back to Laos and this F'N retard here is gonna testify against you for a reduced sentence while you are getting cornholed in your cell by a gang of crackers. Cause from what I have heard, guys that get sent up to Concord for killing kids, lifes a MFer."

Cheese "You got my money, you leave that shit in the mailbox on the way out, you feel me. Some other MFers let fools rob on them, I don't play scrimmage. But I don't Eff with no kids, and if that girl only hope is you, well I pray for her, because she's Gone, Baby, Gone."
Cheese "Bitches love the cheddar."
Cheese - "you ever come round here again, I am gonna get discourteous on your ass."

Cheese "I grant you audience, go."
Patrick "We found what were looking for in Chelsea."
Cheese "What I care about Chelsea ?"
Patrick "Because one of the idiots that robbed you, lived there."
Cheese "What idiot ?"
Patrick "The one and Chris beat with a pipe and shot in the chest."
Cheese "I don't know nobody getting kill, but if somebody rob me and end up dead, well you know, lifes a MFER."

Of the Oldies, I really like Marty. Sweet story. Borgnine is so genuine. You just really pull for his character.
Agree. It is also the infamous cheating question from Quiz Show. I love John Turturro begging "Please don't make me lose on Marty."

Here’s my All-time top 20. Yes, Harrison Ford is in all of my top 3. What can I say?
  1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. Star Wars
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  4. Back to the Future
  5. The Godfather
  6. Rocky
  7. Shawshank Redemption
  8. Jaws
  9. Goodfellas
  10. No Country For Old Men
  11. The Dark Night
  12. Pulp Fiction
  13. The Gladiator
  14. The Godfather Part. 2
  15. Return of the Jedi
  16. Braveheart
  17. There Will Be Blood
  18. This is Spinal Tap
  19. Elf
  20. The Natural
We do have very similar taste.

Speaking of Harrison Ford, I watched The Mosquito Coast for the first time 2 weeks ago. It was decent but could have been so much better.

My wife and I were looking for movies about people with narcissistic personality disorder because she just quit her job working for someone with that condition.

So far we've watched The Mosquito Coast and Mommie Dearest to fit that category. The Devil Wears Prada is another good example but we've seen it before.

Depen
What are some really good drama / thriller movies out right now ?

Just recently watched Gone Baby Gone, really enjoyed it. Love the sequence with "Cheese". "Cheese if you ever disrespect her like like that again, I will pull your FN card, okay.." "Your gonna wish you listened to me, cause your little shitty pool hall syndicate headquarters is gonna get raided, and your doped up bitches are going to get sent back to Laos and this F'N retard here is gonna testify against you for a reduced sentence while you are getting cornholed in your cell by a gang of crackers. Cause from what I have heard, guys that get sent up to Concord for killing kids, lifes a MFer."

Cheese "You got my money, you leave that shit in the mailbox on the way out, you feel me. Some other MFers let fools rob on them, I don't play scrimmage. But I don't Eff with no kids, and if that girl only hope is you, well I pray for her, because she's Gone, Baby, Gone."
Cheese "Bitches love the cheddar."
Cheese - "you ever come round here again, I am gonna get discourteous on your ass."

Cheese "I grant you audience, go."
Patrick "We found what were looking for in Chelsea."
Cheese "What I care about Chelsea ?"
Patrick "Because one of the idiots that robbed you, lived there."
Cheese "What idiot ?"
Patrick "The one and Chris beat with a pipe and shot in the chest."
Cheese "I don't know nobody getting kill, but if somebody rob me and end up dead, well you know, lifes a MFER."
Depends a little on what your definition of “out right now” is. Plus, don’t know what you’ve already seen, but here are some of my favorite drama/thriller/heist movies over about the last 10 years:

Inception 2010
The Revenant 2015
Dunkirk 2017
Looper 2012
American Hustle 2013
Argo 2012
Parasite 2019
The Big Short 2015
Joker 2019
Hell or High Water 2015

Got to add Sicario to that list. Same folks are making Angelina Jolie's new move "Those Who Wish Me Dead" and I can't wait to see it on HBOmax next week:

Saw Tenet this weekend. Anybody wanna explain to me WTF I just watched?
No spoilers!! I plan to.check that out in the next few days. Dealing with time travel properly, I’m sure it has the potential to be a mind-bender

Got to add Sicario to that list. Same folks are making Angelina Jolie's new move "Those Who Wish Me Dead" and I can't wait to see it on HBOmax next week:

Oh, yes, definitely! Don’t know how I forgot Sicario. Especially since I just listened to a podcast about it the other day.

Speaking of that podcast, I’ll again recommend checking out Raiders of the Lost Podcast. They have about 70 episodes so far discussing 1-2 movies each. It’s pretty good.

Speaking of Harrison Ford, I watched The Mosquito Coast for the first time 2 weeks ago. It was decent but could have been so much better.

My wife and I were looking for movies about people with narcissistic personality disorder because she just quit her job working for someone with that condition.

So far we've watched The Mosquito Coast and Mommie Dearest to fit that category. The Devil Wears Prada is another good example but we've seen it before.

Yeah, my 1-3 are locks in that order. My 4-14 are damn near interchangeable, but in the next tier. My 15-25 or so are near interchangeable and make a pretty solid 3rd tier above those that follow them.

Have never seen and frankly forgot all about the Mosquito Coast. I’ll try to check it out. I’ll give some thought to other NPD films.

Rashomon
Potemkin
Metropolis
Young Frankenstein
Playtime
The Kings Speech
The Thing
My Cousin Vinny
Gandhi
Tootsie
The Big Lebowski
Silence of the Lambs
Wizard of Oz
Gone with the Wind
The Exorcist

Rashomon
Potemkin
Metropolis
Young Frankenstein
Playtime
The Kings Speech
The Thing
My Cousin Vinny
Gandhi
Tootsie
The Big Lebowski
Silence of the Lambs
Wizard of Oz
Gone with the Wind
The Exorcist
Rashomon is very near the top of my “up next” watchlist. Very highly rated all-time. I’m eager to see it. Hopefully this weekend if not sooner. You like a lot of older stuff. Curious what age you are?

Some good movies about people with or traits of narcissistic personalities:

Margot At The Wedding
Magnolia (Tom Cruise's character)
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Hit the freakin’ jackpot at the thrift store. Found a few classics that seem to never come on HBO or Netflix on DVD like The Deer Hunter.

I’m never in a thrift stores and was pissed about having to go in, but my teenage daughter insisted and boom. Only $1.00 each to boot!

Reactions: UK82
Hit the freakin’ jackpot at the thrift store. Found a few classics that seem to never come on HBO or Netflix on DVD like The Deer Hunter.

I’m never in a thrift stores and was pissed about having to go in, but my teenage daughter insisted and boom. Only $1.00 each to boot!

What did you get?

I used to collect Blu Ray and DVDs but I got rid of them and now collect digital copies.

The Deer Hunter (wanted to see again)
Goodnight and Good Luck (never seen)
Eastern Promises
Children of Men

I've never seen Goodnight and Good Luck either.

I'm a huge fan of Eastern Promises and Children of Men.

The Deer Hunter is really good too but I rate it lower than most. I believe they should have cut out a big chunk of the wedding. The first time I watched it I almost turned it off because those scenes are long, boring, and in my opinion, don't add much to the story. The payoff of finishing it was great. The Russian Roulette scene might be the most intense thing I've ever seen on film.

The Deer Hunter is really good too but I rate it lower than most. I believe they should have cut out a big chunk of the wedding. The first time I watched it I almost turned it off because those scenes are long, boring, and in my opinion, don't add much to the story. The payoff of finishing it was great. The Russian Roulette scene might be the most intense thing I've ever seen on film.
I think Deer Hunter is slightly overrated, but I respect the film. While most bring up the Russian Roulette scene (and rightfully so), I think my favorite scene is when Stan forgets his boots on the hunting trip and Michael refuses to let him borrow a pair. Cazale comes off like Fredo, and as the scene gets more tense and emotions escalate, you don't think it's going to come to blows, but you also can't guarantee that it won't either.

I've never seen Goodnight and Good Luck either.

I'm a huge fan of Eastern Promises and Children of Men.

Not a bad haul for $6, right?! Made it through the prison escape in The Dear Hunter and to Mike’s homecoming. Shutting it off for the night and watching the rest tomorrow.

I think Deer Hunter is slightly overrated, but I respect the film. While most bring up the Russian Roulette scene (and rightfully so), I think my favorite scene is when Stan forgets his boots on the hunting trip and Michael refuses to let him borrow a pair. Cazale comes off like Fredo, and as the scene gets more tense and emotions escalate, you don't think it's going to come to blows, but you also can't guarantee that it won't either.
Your right, that’s a really freakin’ tense scene. Cazale was dying of cancer just trying to finish his scenes. He appeared in 5 films and they all won Oscars. Too bad his life was cut so short.

Not a bad haul for $6, right?! Made it through the prison escape in The Dear Hunter and to Mike’s homecoming. Shutting it off for the night and watching the rest tomorrow.

When I collected discs I would buy them at the local pawn shop for $1 each. I would also check out DVDs at the local library and copy them. I had around 1100 at one time.

I went digital, using Vudu, and I'm close to 800 movies on there. I converted all my DVD to digital for $2. All that were eligible that is. They allow you to convert 100 discs per year and I've taken full advantage of that for 3 years. The is a website that has all the barcodes for all of the eligible titles. It's cheating but I'm still paying $2 each. Sometimes you have to pay $5 to upgrade to HDX.

Bottom line, collecting movies is a hobby of mine in addition to watching them.

Reactions: Nightwish84
When I collected discs I would buy them at the local pawn shop for $1 each. I would also check out DVDs at the local library and copy them. I had around 1100 at one time.

I went digital, using Vudu, and I'm close to 800 movies on there. I converted all my DVD to digital for $2. All that were eligible that is. They allow you to convert 100 discs per year and I've taken full advantage of that for 3 years. The is a website that has all the barcodes for all of the eligible titles. It's cheating but I'm still paying $2 each. Sometimes you have to pay $5 to upgrade to HDX.

Bottom line, collecting movies is a hobby of mine in addition to watching them.
Wow amazing, and a good bargain. I actually don’t have all that many DVD’s to begin with so different situation I suppose, but I’ll keep it in mind.

Something in me is paranoid about going fully digital. Probably silly. While of course I use iTunes almost daily and Google photos I’ve kept hard copy CD’s of my favorite music and we print an album of “best of” photo’s for each year just in case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT