ADVERTISEMENT

Film Fans - Greatest Movies

also not quite the same. There are some movies that I know that I have seen. But haven't watched it in 20+ years. that hurts the comparisons as well
I figured out pretty fast if it was a film that I felt didn’t deserve to be among “My Greatest” to just check I haven’t seen it so it doesn’t keep trying to make me rank it. I think it’s pretty fun. Probably be tinkering with it for days, lol!

What's your favorite comedy films? Mine are:

Airplane
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Weird Science
Back to School
The Naked Gun
What About Bob
Serial Mom
To Wong Foo..
Dumb and Dumber
Clueless
Kingpin
Dodgeball
Anchorman
Step Brothers
The Other Guys
I Love You, Phillip Morris

Reactions: RunninRichie

Airplane
Weird Science
Back to School
The Naked Gun
What About Bob
Serial Mom
To Wong Foo..
Dumb and Dumber
Clueless
Kingpin
Dodgeball
Anchorman
Step Brothers
The Other Guys
Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Monty Python Holy Grail
This is Spinal Tap
The Jerk
Kingpin
Office Space
Dr. Strangelove
Modern Times
Happy Gilmore
Billy Madison
Planes Trains Automobiles
Dumb & Dumber
40 Year Old Virgin
This is the End

Christmas:
Elf
Christmas Vacation
Christmas Story

TV:
The Office
Cheers

Last edited:

Airplane
Weird Science
Back to School
The Naked Gun
What About Bob
Serial Mom
To Wong Foo..
Dumb and Dumber
Clueless
Kingpin
Dodgeball
Anchorman
Step Brothers
The Other Guys

Airplane
The Naked Gun
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Step Brothers
Dodgeball
Borat
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Duck Soup
Clerks
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

I don’t recall seeing The Big Lebowski.
Yeah...well...that’s just like...your opinion, man.

But seriously, what the hell are you waiting for? No fan of comedy should deprive themselves of this classic. Probably the most quotable movie ever made.

A word of warning: it takes a couple viewings to fully appreciate it. I saw it in the theater because I loved Fargo and this was the Coens’ follow-up. I didn’t care for it at all. I just didn’t get it. A friend convinced me to watch it again a few years later, and I’m damn glad he did.

But seriously, what the hell are you waiting for? No fan of comedy should deprive themselves of this classic. Probably the most quotable movie ever made.

A word of warning: it takes a couple viewings to fully appreciate it. I saw it in the theater because I loved Fargo and this was the Coens’ follow-up. I didn’t care for it at all. I just didn’t get it. A friend convinced me to watch it again a few years later, and I’m damn glad he did.
I think he means he doesn’t recall seeing it mentioned up to that point in the thread

Reactions: bigdaddy741
There Will be Blood belongs on any Top 10 list IMO.

I saw it in the theater and I guess I need to watch it again. It was weird to me. I liked everything about it. The acting, the dialogue, the score, etc, but overall didn’t think it was the great. Like giving me a medium rare ribeye topped with vanilla ice cream and capers

My favorite genre of movies is dark/depressing dramas that really illustrate the aspects of life that we often to try to avoid because they're too harrowing, traumatic, etc. A lot of independent films with directors who stay true to their vision to express these ideas are often times 1-2 watchers that are so heavy you can't watch again but they're amazing movies. To me it's movies like:

Anything by Lars Von Trier, Noah Baumbach, and Todd Solondz.

Manchester By The Sea
The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Door In The Floor
In The Company Of Men

I have so many favorite movies it basically depends on my mood what my answer would be haha.

Reactions: Zissou87
In no order:
The Matrix
The Usual Suspects
Seven
Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hoosiers
Terminator 2
Pulp Fiction
Inception
Independence Day

Oh, I've seen the movie, I meant I didn't recall seeing anyone list it in this thread, yet. lol

Alien
American Pie
Audition
Bull Durham
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Fletch
Foul Play
Funny Games
Glory
The Mist
Moneyball
The Omen
The Rules of Attraction
Scarface
The Silence of the Lambs
Wall Street

Here is a fun, time killing website for movie lovers

It takes time but you can eventually rank all your favorite movies.

I try to keep my top 50 - 100 accurate but more than that would take A LOT of time.
Oh I love this.

You know anything like this but for TV shows?

I've done over 3K matchups since yesterday lol, my top 20 on there thus far is
  1. Before Sunrise
  2. Before Sunset
  3. Her
  4. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
  5. Blue Is the Warmest Color
  6. Lost in Translation
  7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  8. La La Land
  9. Requiem for a Dream
  10. The Farewell
  11. Joker
  12. Hereditary
  13. Se7en
  14. The Fountain
  15. Interstellar
  16. Pulp Fiction
  17. Fight Club
  18. The Martian
  19. Call Me by Your Name
  20. Lady Bird

Oh I love this.

You know anything like this but for TV shows?

I've done over 3K matchups since yesterday lol, my top 20 on there thus far is
  1. Before Sunrise
  2. Before Sunset
  3. Her
  4. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
  5. Blue Is the Warmest Color
  6. Lost in Translation
  7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  8. La La Land
  9. Requiem for a Dream
  10. The Farewell
  11. Joker
  12. Hereditary
  13. Se7en
  14. The Fountain
  15. Interstellar
  16. Pulp Fiction
  17. Fight Club
  18. The Martian
  19. Call Me by Your Name
  20. Lady Bird

I do not know of a similar website for TV shows but that would be cool.

One of the things I don't like is once you get a lot of movies on your list it adds new movies really low sometimes.

Example for me, The Natural is one of my favorite movies and it was somewhere in the 900s on my list before I noticed it and moved it up.

One thing I started doing to level this up is voting among my own list. You can narrow it down to top 100, 250, 500, etc. Option 2 is search for the movie and "re-rank" it.

From you list it appears you like dramas with deep meaning.

My favorite genre of movies is dark/depressing dramas that really illustrate the aspects of life that we often to try to avoid because they're too harrowing, traumatic, etc. A lot of independent films with directors who stay true to their vision to express these ideas are often times 1-2 watchers that are so heavy you can't watch again but they're amazing movies. To me it's movies like:

Anything by Lars Von Trier, Noah Baumbach, and Todd Solondz.

Manchester By The Sea
The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Door In The Floor
In The Company Of Men

I have so many favorite movies it basically depends on my mood what my answer would be haha.
Jim Jarmusch fan?

It's been discussed here before... but "The Other Guys" is a seriously underrated comedy film. And to add to that, Andy Sambergs Popstar might also be one of my favorite comedies of the last 10 years.

One of the things I don't like is once you get a lot of movies on your list it adds new movies really low sometimes.

Example for me, The Natural is one of my favorite movies and it was somewhere in the 900s on my list before I noticed it and moved it up.

One thing I started doing to level this up is voting among my own list. You can narrow it down to top 100, 250, 500, etc. Option 2 is search for the movie and "re-rank" it.

Yeah I've noticed that too. I've been ranking just from within my list a good bit and look at what a movie is ranked in the right sidebar after the matchup. If the rank seems low I'll click the option to rerank it. I do kinda wish it did the rankings a bit different. Like instead of having to beat another movie one-on-one to rank ahead of it, I wish it would rank the movies based on how often they win a matchup. I mean I know if you rank enough it will end up being that way, but when you get into hundreds of movies, it's going to take forever for it to work itself out.

Tis true. I also value realism and minimalism alot, hence why Before Sunrise and Before Sunset rank #1 and #2 and why basically the entire top 10 is what it is.

Many casual movie fans don't even appreciate those much less prefer them. lol

I had to do a presentation on realism for a film class way back in college.

I used the scene from the movie "Alive" when (spoiler alert!) they debated on whether or not to eat their dead co-passengers in order to survive.

Looking back I wish I'd gone with something better but I was only 20.

I tell you what though, an amazing score goes a long way for me too - hence La La Land, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Her, Interstellar. (500 Days of Summer) is reasonably high we well because of the score.

Many casual movie fans don't even appreciate those much less prefer them. lol

I had to do a presentation on realism for a film class way back in college.

I used the scene from the movie "Alive" when (spoiler alert!) they debated on whether or not to eat their dead co-passengers in order to survive.

Looking back I wish I'd gone with something better but I was only 20.
The Before trilogy should be in GOAT tier trilogy discussions. Ehtan Hawke and Julie Delpy's chemistry on screen is top tier. I know Sunset has generally been considered the best of the two, but for me it's impossible to choose. I really like how Hawke and Delpy were co-writers for the second and third, gives it even more authenticity since they are basically the only characters, especially in Sunset whereas Midnight gets a few other folks involved some. Midnight, in my opinion, is no where near as good as Sunrise or Sunset (even though it's generally the best reviewed of the three) but is still a damn good movie. I mean to this day Before Sunrise still has a 100% fresh rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's like you get the two most beautiful women in the planet in a room and then this other person who is objectively the most beautiful woman in 99% of other situations one could ever possibly encounter, but you're like "who in the hell is this sloppy cow? Be gone you beast!" Then you step back and process things for a moment and are like "alright well she still looks pretty ****ing amazing even though she doesn't look as amazing as these other two women."

Rumor is there will be a 4th movie in the series. Insert Bart_Scott_Cant_Wait.gif

It's been discussed here before... but "The Other Guys" is a seriously underrated comedy film. And to add to that, Andy Sambergs Popstar might also be one of my favorite comedies of the last 10 years.

"Who wants Arnie Palmieeeees?!"
"Don't go chasing waterfalls"

The TLC references, Will Ferrell being mean to his hot wife, so many funny things in this movie. I love it!

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yeah I've noticed that too. I've been ranking just from within my list a good bit and look at what a movie is ranked in the right sidebar after the matchup. If the rank seems low I'll click the option to rerank it. I do kinda wish it did the rankings a bit different. Like instead of having to beat another movie one-on-one to rank ahead of it, I wish it would rank the movies based on how often they win a matchup. I mean I know if you rank enough it will end up being that way, but when you get into hundreds of movies, it's going to take forever for it to work itself out.
I finally figured out the re-rank button too and it helped a ton. Got some of my favorites toward the top finally like No Country, Goodfellas, Empire Strikes Back, etc.

Anyone watched any of this years Best Picture nominees? I’ve seen 3 of the 8 - Nomadland, Mank and The Trial of the Chicago 7. Easily liked Nomadland best of the three. Hope to catch the Sound of Metal before Oscar night.
I guess no one remembers back in 66-67 when the SDS tried to burn down UKs campus? I do. Student For a Democratic Society should have been hung.

Favorite Horror movie: The Thing (Kurt Russell)
Favorite Sci-Fi movie: Blade Runner
Favorite Comedy: Something about Mary
Favorite War movie: Apocalypse Now
Favorite Drama: I Walk the Line (Gregory Peck)
Favorite Thriller: Seven
Favorite Action movie: John Wick 2
Favorite Western: TGTB&TU

Reactions: rudd1
Makes sense to break it down by genre. My categories would be:

Favorite Modern Era Drama (late 60’s+)
Favorite Golden Age Drama (pre late 60’s)
Comedy/Musical

I’d define “Modern Era” roughly with Kubrick and certainly by the time Spielberg, Lucas, Coppola and Scorsese started to take off. There may be a more official name for that era.

I like that breakdown. Here are mine.

Favorite Horror movie: Halloween
Favorite Sci-Fi movie: The Empire Strikes Back
Favorite Comedy: Christmas Vacation
Favorite War movie: Saving Private Ryan
Favorite Drama: The Shawshank Redemption
Favorite Thriller: Memento
Favorite Action movie: The Dark Knight
Favorite Western: Tombstone

And I MUST add 2 more

Noir: The Third Man
Neo-noir: Pulp Fiction

It's hard for me to put some movies in a specific genre.

Most of mine could fall into crime/drama/noir/neo-noir/thriller.

Reactions: Lord Z
@point1zero, since you're watching the AFI 100 what are the movies that you dislike the most.

I have 2 that I don't like at all. M*A*S*H* and West Side Story.

Others I'm not crazy about but appreciate: Doctor Zhivago, The Jazz Singer, Midnight Cowboy.

I looked up the AFI 100 movies list and these are the ones I really don't like: Casablanca, E.T., Lord of the Rings, Raging Bull, Do the Right Thing, Close Encounters of The Third Kind, Jaws

I haven't seen about 20 of the movies on the list, mostly from before 1960 but the ones from that period I have seen I usually like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT