Goodfellas
Magnolia
Eyes Wide Shut
Mulholland Drive
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Black Swan
Interstellar
Moonlight
Was not expecting to see Black Swan or Moonlight on this thread. Not that it isn't a good movie, not the type of crowd I would expect to see like it. I really liked both of them, especially Moonlight.

Was not expecting to see Black Swan or Moonlight on this thread. Not that it isn't a good movie, not the type of crowd I would expect to see like it. I really liked both of them, especially Moonlight.

The cinematography and acting in both of those films were amazing. I saw Moonlight at the Kentucky theater before its wide release on a Sunday afternoon and it got a standing ovation and I was overcome with joy that an authentic beautiful film about black gay sexuality was so positively received by a bunch of middle aged affluent white people of both genders.

Darren Aronofsky says Black Swan is a companion piece to The Wrestler which is so intriguing in the way it shows a male and female so dedicated to the sacrifices necessary to perfect their craft.

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
I’d love to see some of those Oscar “do over” lists if you can send a link.

Maybe "do over" wasn't the best phrase but here are some.

Reactions: blubo
Looking back at some of those articles, 1976 was loaded and open for debate.

Rocky won.

My personal pick would be All the President's Men.

Tons of people would say Taxi Driver.

The article says Network.

Any of those four would be a clear favorite in other years. (In my opinion)

Part II

Muholland Falls
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Tombstone
Gladiator
Patton
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Batman trilogy
Lord of The Rings trilogy
Spartacus

Just crossed Mulholland Drive off the list (finally). Wow, mind bender! Very good, especially, ehh hmm, a couple scenes in particular. Hehe! Gonna take a while to digest this one though

Maybe "do over" wasn't the best phrase but here are some.

Awesome, thanks for the links, I’ll check ‘em out! I grew up on Rocky, so I love it won a Best Picture. But, I agree each of the others you mentioned from 1976 are just as deserving.

Just crossed Mulholland Drive off the list (finally). Wow, mind bender! Very good, especially, ehh hmm, a couple scenes in particular. Hehe! Gonna take a while to digest this one though

If you liked it you'll love Twin Peaks, especially the most recent season. David Lynch loves abstract expressions of dreams and multiple universes

The cinematography and acting in both of those films were amazing. I saw Moonlight at the Kentucky theater before its wide release on a Sunday afternoon and it got a standing ovation and I was overcome with joy that an authentic beautiful film about black gay sexuality was so positively received by a bunch of middle aged affluent white people of both genders.

Darren Aronofsky says Black Swan is a companion piece to The Wrestler which is so intriguing in the way it shows a male and female so dedicated to the sacrifices necessary to perfect their craft.
Aronofsky has done some damn good stuff. I particularly enjoyed The Fountain.

Did anybody mention Schindler's list?
How about The Big Country?
Schindler’s List was one of the last 4 films on the AFI 100 list I had not seen... until about 2 weeks ago. Finally checked it off. I had seen parts of it years ago, somehow a few of the most brutal and graphic scenes, and I just kept putting off watching it knowing it would be pretty rough. Glad I finally watched.

Schindler’s List was one of the last 4 films on the AFI 100 list I had not seen... until about 2 weeks ago. Finally checked it off. I had seen parts of it years ago, somehow a few of the most brutal and graphic scenes, and I just kept putting off watching it knowing it would be pretty rough. Glad I finally watched.
SL is more disturbing than Saving Private Ryan IMO. The girl in the little dress walking around really bothers me.

SL is more disturbing than Saving Private Ryan IMO. The girl in the little dress walking around really bothers me.
Agreed. War violence can be rough to watch for sure, but just cold-blooded, point-blank mowing down of unarmed civilians is another level.

Uh oh, I found another “Greatest Films” list, apparently a highly regarded list widely accepted among both critics and directors - the “Sight & Sound 100 Greatest Films” published by the British Film Institute.

While I’ve seen 98 of the AFI Top 100 and 84 of 92 Oscar Best Pictures, I’ve only seen about 1/3 of the 100 on this prestigious list - largely due to the high percentage of foreign language films.

Dang, right when I thought I was coming down the homestretch and completing my my lists I find I’ve got another 70 films to see! Wait, why am I complaining? This isn’t a bad thing I suppose.

Uh oh, I found another “Greatest Films” list, apparently a highly regarded list widely accepted among both critics and directors - the “Sight & Sound 100 Greatest Films” published by the British Film Institute.

While I’ve seen 98 of the AFI Top 100 and 84 of 92 Oscar Best Pictures, I’ve only seen about 1/3 of the 100 on this prestigious list - largely due to the high percentage of foreign language films.

Dang, right when I thought I was coming down the homestretch and completing my my lists I find I’ve got another 70 films to see! Wait, why am I complaining? This isn’t a bad thing I suppose.

Yeah, I keep finding lists too.

I have 2 books.

"501 Must-See Movies"

"500 Must-See Movies" which has 100 each from 5 genres.

I've probably seen at least 300 from each book and there is a lot of overlap.

Edit:. I went back and counted and I've seen 263 of the 501 book and I've seen 358 of the 500 book.

Last edited:
My favorite movie is partly set in Kentucky and has some of the best acting performances in history and it seems like nobody but me has seen it.

My favorite actor won an oscar the second time he played this character, though he was way better the first time.

I'll edit and say the movie in a while after I see if anybody knows which movie I'm talking about...

Didn't care much for the second one, but the first one was fantastic. George C. Scott killed. I heard a rumor that he spent a lot of time drinking at the old Tates Creek Country Club back then.

Reactions: parrott
Refreshing to see some acknowledgement about how overrated Citizen Kane is. Still a good movie and enormously important and influential, but just as a movie, it's not even close to the greatest ever made.

Raging Bull doesn't make enough people's list IMO. Great script and absolutely brilliant acting. The scene where De Niro confronts Pesci about his wife is some of the best acting ever captured on film.

Refreshing to see some acknowledgement about how overrated Citizen Kane is. Still a good movie and enormously important and influential, but just as a movie, it's not even close to the greatest ever made.

Raging Bull doesn't make enough people's list IMO. Great script and absolutely brilliant acting. The scene where De Niro confronts Pesci about his wife is some of the best acting ever captured on film.

Raging Bull is in my top 20 and is definitely my favorite sports movie.

Reactions: Cat_outta_Hell
Here is a fun, time killing website for movie lovers

It takes time but you can eventually rank all your favorite movies.

I try to keep my top 50 - 100 accurate but more than that would take A LOT of time.

I have 2 books.

"501 Must-See Movies"

Edit:. I went back and counted and I've seen 263 of the 501 book and I've seen 358 of the 500 book.
Jackpot

I have 2 books.

"501 Must-See Movies"

Jackpot! Scrolling through the Sight & Sound 100 Greatest, I’ve found over 20 on HBO Max alone. This will keep me busy a few months, lol!

Reactions: bigdaddy741
In no particular order

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Hustler
Cool Hand Luke
Vertigo
North by Northwest
Inherit the Wind
Shawshank Redemption
Unforgiven
Apocalypse Now
A Clockwork Orange

I try to keep my top 50 - 100 accurate but more than that would take A LOT of time.
Can’t wait to check this out! Thanks for the link. I’ve got a Top 25 in a rough order and a list of another 200 or so that I want to put my own Top 100 down from.

I honestly don't think I have a favorite movie. If I did it would be more along the lines of The Burbs than it would be Saving Private Ryan. There are so many good movies and so many moods. Match the movie to the mood and that's the best.

Happy to help.

This website is a freakin’ blast! Been hooked since last night. Love the match-up format, Sometimes hard to choose between a favorite comedy and a favorite drama - like Spinal Tap vs There Will Be Blood - but I can split my list in drama/comedy later if I want. Been too much fun. Thanks for the recomendation!

Last edited:

Sometimes the matchups are just absurd. I just got "Beethoven" vs. "Saving Private Ryan"

:|

"schindler's List" vs. "Road Trip"

😑

I'll stop

Of course there are going to be ridiculous matchups.

After you get a few hundred movies on your Flickchart you can go back and re-rank them against other good movies to get them where you want them.

It's very time consuming but it's a great way to kill time in a waiting room, visiting in-laws, etc.

Also, after each choice it shows what percentage the movie you choose wins the matchup and I'll sadly guarantee Shindler's List is not 100%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT