ADVERTISEMENT

Fayette County Schools property tax vote tonight (Sept 8th)

bbonds

Senior
Feb 8, 2007
In the computer
Those of you who don't live in Fayette Co...disregard.

They're voting tonight. Option 1 raises our taxes, Option 2 lowers our taxes. Those are the only two options. The FAQ linked in that article explains why keeping the rate the same is a bad idea. :rolleyes:

What they're voting on.

Made absolutely no sense when they sent the e-mail 2 weeks ago. Makes absolutely no sense now.

If they have lowering taxes as an option and chose to raise them while also refusing to keep them the same they’ve lost their mind. With skyrocketing home prices there’s no reason for property taxes to go up.

I just read the FAQ, they can’t keep taxes the same because it would bring in too large of an increase of budget…LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbonds
Agreed that it’s a strange scenario. I won’t pretend to understand. What I know is if the taxes don’t get raised then it sounds like no new construction or major renovations for a long time. There are schools that need renovation badly. Also, Lexington isn’t going to stop growing.

I'm not impressed with Ll the spending FCPS has done recently. Buying the Herald Leader building and letting it sit vacant, buying the Webb property for way over value either no logical plan for it...

Our superintendent has some brushes with shady dealings too.

Glad I refinanced a while back to knock a couple hundred of my mortgage a while back because by the time my assessment comes back around I’ll be back to paying the same thing again.

At least it’s going to the schools instead of interest I guess. 😐

Reactions: hmt5000
Just like JCPS, they’ll keep jacking up the tax and make the schools worse. Lib paradise…make problems so you can pretend to fix them. Rinse repeat.

Glad I refinanced a while back to knock a couple hundred of my mortgage a while back because by the time my assessment comes back around I’ll be back to paying the same thing again.

At least it’s going to the schools instead of interest I guess. 😐
And this will be what they failed to take into account. With home “values” so high, they were going to make more money, regardless. Now it will be worse for taxpayers.

As I type that out, maybe they knew what they were doing. 🤨

They're actually voting this time? Last time they just hiked it without any vote.

We were told for "school safety" which probably meant new apple laptops for central office

BTW, considering they were once again completely disingenuous about it, and considering it's the government and we have no idea how they'll spend it the community has 50 days to collect enough signatures to request an election to possibly recall the property tax rate. Which them walking away empty handed would be ideal considering they refused to compromise.

Last edited:
So is it common practice across other states to add school support type taxes -- to a utility or telecom bill?

If you look at the itemized list of the elements that constitute my KU bill (pretty sure its KU) -- >> there are taxes for the school system in KY?

Is that something that stems fm the theft and shameless theft of Kentucky teachers pensions?

Something else?
Odd place to layer in tax revenue for schools

And this will be what they failed to take into account. With home “values” so high, they were going to make more money, regardless. Now it will be worse for taxpayers.

As I type that out, maybe they knew what they were doing. 🤨
Yeah. That’s the reason they had to create a special fun. The way I read it with out the special fund they HAD to lower taxes because new housing values raised the budget over the allowed 4% from last year.

I know my hometown school board lowered their taxes from 52.2 to 51.1 this year for that very reason.

Reactions: bbonds
Probably not a great idea to have the beneficiary of a tax increase get to vote on whether taxes are increased but that is Lexington for you.
Kind of like Congress getting to vote on whether to give themselves and their staff raises.

I love how all of these schools constantly "need" millions worth of remodeling and seeing how much they're currently sitting on will make you sick. What a scam all of this is.

Saw on his Facebook someone asked the school board chair this:
So should we expect a tax increase next year or should we be able to hold off on tax increases for a few years with option 2? Was there an analysis done on necessity of future tax increases if option 2 was chosen?
His answer:
As was shared during the August board meeting, the bonding projections are not predicated on additional building fund revenues beyond what would be provided by the rate approved by the board. As a reminder, the Board reduced rates last year and kept the rates flat the year before.

What I get the exchange between those two - I guess we should expect more future tax hikes in the coming years (they will have to pay for all that borrowing power option 2 gives them 😉), and there was no study done to assess future tax hikes….awesome on both accounts!

Reactions: bbonds and 80 Proof
Despite the contrived math they used, this will actually represent an over 11% increase on your school property tax from last year, and put the District in a position to take on more debt (which means they'll surely come asking for more money later). The worst part is, there's a whole game plan here of how to sneak one past stubborn and ignorant residents who are against it (see school board handbook link below on this).

Recall efforts are underway. It will take 5,000 people willing to stand up and say, "Let's actually look at this with accurate information before agreeing to it." Once I have more info on the recall process, I’ll be glad to drive to anyone who wants to sign the recall.

Last edited:
If you are in district 4 in Fayette county, Matthew Vied is a great choice for school board member in November. He has fought for our kids the past several years, speaking at board meetings. District map is below. Also you can find him on Facebook where he has a good explanation on how wrong this tax increase is. Sure schools need repairs, but between the fund balance, covid money, increased revenue from huge increases in property valuations last year, and an unnecessary high overhead at central office, FCPS needs to figure this one out without taking more of our money.

Last edited:
If you are in district 4 in Fayette county, Matthew Vied is a great choice for school board member in November. He has fought for our kids the past several years, speaking at board meetings. District map is below. Also you can find him on Facebook where he has a good explanation on how wrong this tax increase is. Sure schools need repairs, but between the balance, covid money, increased revenue from huge increases in property valuations last year, and an unnecessary high overhead at central office, FCPS needs to figure this one out without taking more of our money.

I know Matthew. Good guy.

If you are in district 4 in Fayette county, Matthew Vied is a great choice for school board member in November. He has fought for our kids the past several years, speaking at board meetings. District map is below. Also you can find him on Facebook where he has a good explanation on how wrong this tax increase is. Sure schools need repairs, but between the fund balance, covid money, increased revenue from huge increases in property valuations last year, and an unnecessary high overhead at central office, FCPS needs to figure this one out without taking more of our money.

I don't know him but s good endorsement

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT