ADVERTISEMENT

Favorable whistle

Fun team to watch!!! LOVE finally having a true stretch 4. So many good things with this team.

I do think we got a pretty favorable whistle throughout. Not saying that to take anything away from the team. Just an observation.
My friend you've just caused a bunch of folks' heads to explode, LOL. Basketball fans in general and UK fans in particular will never accept that they got a favorable whistle.

I'll admit that it's hard for me to judge that watching UK because I'll be biased no matter how objective I tried to be.

Yeah, I agree this team was fun to watch in those Canada games. Mitchell making threes was nice to see. Reeves picked right up where he left off. The freshmen all looked really good.

As for the whistles in Canada, I thought we got a favorable whistle against Canada the first time we played. Against Germany, I thought it was ok, but there were some head scratching calls. The worst whistle we got was against Africa. There were multiple calls in that game that were pretty bad, in my opinion. The championship game against Canada was pretty even.

I will say, when you're winning every game by double digits most of the game, bad calls aren't as noticeable or as important to the outcome.

I think your confused, what the rest of the world would call a fair whistle your referring to as favorable. 😂😂😂. SEC refs are horrific and I truely believe they don’t care for Cal. Despite whether I like Cal or not (I don’t), I don’t believe UK gets a fair whistle in league play consistently and they should. As much money is tied to these games it should have professional refs for every game. The NCAA makes enough to pay enough to expect it.

The whistle were fine to me…but the refs basically called in ball fouls and not all of this off rhe ball nonsense lke Doug Shows and sec drama queens make up. No fouls for moving screens, positioning in post, etc

And to be fair, players were not flopping to draw fouls or trying to sell calls either. Not a ton of dudes trying to get under an offense player to draw charges. When guys made cuts not a ton of grabbing So I think that players made it easy to officiate

The whistle were fine to me…but the refs basically called in ball fouls and not all of this off rhe ball nonsense lke Doug Shows and sec drama queens make up. No fouls for moving screens, positioning in post, etc

And to be fair, players were not flopping to draw fouls or trying to sell calls either. Not a ton of dudes trying to get under an offense player to draw charges. When guys made cuts not a ton of grabbing So I think that players made it easy to officiate

Agreed. I also noticed that nobody was diving on top of an opposing player when the player was on the floor with the ball. It was a very "clean" tournament. I also think that none of the teams were playing with the philosophy of "they can't call ALL the fouls."

Reactions: K_TIME
Got a little tweet happy in the BAL game and 2Qtr of the gold game. And they weren't bad calls per se (except for the missed walks that resulted in fouls on us) but no one wants to see EVERY foul called. People came to watch a basketball game...not a whistling contest.

Overall though, and especially the first couple of games, it was called cleanly and was enjoyable to watch.

I don't know if it was favorable to any team. Pretty even officiating in Canada for all the games. Bad calls happen in every game. Just far better than SEC officials. But so are junior high officials.

We think we get bad calls in the SEC. Other SEC teams think UK gets a favorable whistle every game. SEC officials are so bad it's hard to think they favor any team.

Thought the tourney was well officiated overall.

Canada got away with a lot of hacking and holding in the second meeting, but I was proud to see our guys fight through it.

They'll definitely face even worse once SEC play begins.

Reactions: bbncal02
I mean this whole "tournament" was essentially set up for us to play exhibition games and get a "medal".

Interesting. I remember about midway through the first half of the Germany game, I was thinking, we're getting a pretty friendly whistle. It was such an unfamiliar thing I wasn't sure how to feel about it. But then I started to realize, no - it's just being called evenly. And that's all anyone can ask for. But yeah, as someone else stated, there wasn't any flopping and no drama. I love how the teams played, and how the games were called.

However, there was one foul that blew my mind. It may have been the first game against Canada. A foul was called on Thiero, and his reaction was one on sincere bewilderment. So I went back to see what happened. He was literally 3-4 feet away from the closest Canadian player. I can only guess they got the player's number wrong.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Interesting. I remember about midway through the first half of the Germany game, I was thinking, we're getting a pretty friendly whistle. It was such an unfamiliar thing I wasn't sure how to feel about it. But then I started to realize, no - it's just being called evenly. And that's all anyone can ask for. But yeah, as someone else stated, there wasn't any flopping and no drama. I love how the teams played, and how the games were called.

However, there was one foul that blew my mind. It may have been the first game against Canada. A foul was called on Thiero, and his reaction was one on sincere bewilderment. So I went back to see what happened. He was literally 3-4 feet away from the closest Canadian player. I can only guess they got the player's number wrong.

He wasn't happy and for a good reason. He wasn't close to the foul.

Reactions: Jireh
I didn't notice the refs except for one play. Sheppard drove to the rim, jumped, and pivoted to throw the ball out to the 3 pt line to Dillingham (I think.) As Sheppard pivoted, a Canadian player was pushing him out of bounds with his hip. Sheppard wound up getting moved several feet. No call and UK got a 4 point play since Dillingham was fouled on the 3. But getting moved several feet is a foul in most jurisdictions.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
I thought the first 2 games were favorable. The refs "let them play" on both sides and both teams got away with some junk but the flow of the game was fun and I didn't have an issue with it. The last two kinda sucked though. There were some bad calls and I felt like it wasn't very even.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Baylor isn't afraid of competition to prepare them for a season. Cal doesn't really share that view.
Bring your Baylor team on then. Your place, our place or neutral court.

At least 2 of those refs were wearing maple leaf man-panties. Guaranteed

Baylor isn't afraid of competition to prepare them for a season. Cal doesn't really share that view.
tell them to bring their gold medals......oh, wait.

Sadly for me, my team isn't Baylor. My team has been down for years.

We just play the same tournament Baylor did last year so your comment doesn’t make any sense but that’s the norm for you. I get you a cow and there’s no problem with that but you’re one of the few on here that the little any good the team accomplishes consistently

I’ve noticed that anything that can be viewed as a positive ,no matter how slight it is, you say something incredibly stupid to try to negate it such as this statement.

I started to post a comment about officiating during Globl Jam as well. Stated several times during the games “we will not enjoy this level of officiating when SEC starts”. It was great seeing two teams aggressively compete without a flippin’ whistle on every possession. Obvious question remains will our Cats be able to perform as well when they experience a lot of ticky-tack calls against them.

I’ve noticed that anything that can be viewed as a positive ,no matter how slight it is, you say something incredibly stupid to try to negate it such as this statement.
Am I wrong? Was Baylor's competition as bad as ours?

Am I wrong? Was Baylor's competition as bad as ours?
It’s the same tournament Baylor played in just last year lol. I guess you think the teams in it this year weren’t very good and Cal knew it so that’s why he agreed to play? That’s something only an idiot would think lol.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
I started to post a comment about officiating during Globl Jam as well. Stated several times during the games “we will not enjoy this level of officiating when SEC starts”. It was great seeing two teams aggressively compete without a flippin’ whistle on every possession. Obvious question remains will our Cats be able to perform as well when they experience a lot of ticky-tack calls against them.
Won't hurt the guards, we've got depth there Where it will hurt is if Mitchell picks up three and the Ugo picks up a couple. Then we're going to be stretched a bit.

It’s the same tournament Baylor played in just last year lol. I guess you think the teams in it this year weren’t very good and Cal knew it so that’s why he agreed to play? That’s something only an idiot would think lol.
No need to belittle me. You have your opinions and I have mine. And you didn't answer whether I was wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT