ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Civil War

etowncatfan

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
I thought when Barnhardt went on TV to give Cal One More Year that the next Basketball Season would be a constant Fan Civil War with every game being dissected depending which side you were on. I was hoping that with a new hire that would not be the case. BUT, I was Wrong. We are right back to where we started. Intense Pressure on the Coach and Players like they have never seen before by the Fan Base. A Civil War is Coming and I’m afraid the Optics Nationally won’t be pleasant.

Everyone is afraid that bad optics on the fan base will hurt us nationally.

Are we the only elite sports program with fan expectations? This happens everywhere where a sport matters, but some of our fans look at it myopically because they don't get outside of their own team.

I

Are we the only elite sports program with fan expectations? This happens everywhere where a sport matters, but some of our fans look at it myopically because they don't get outside of their own team.
My guess you don’t remember how the National media destroyed us after we let Tubby go to Minnesota.

Zombieorpheus Detecting GIF by zoefannet

Every real UK fan will unite and root for Pope because we want to see him succeed

We might not believe he’ll succeed but we’ll root and cheer and PRAY he succeeds.

But if he shows signs he’s in way over his head, we’ll unite and demand he steps down.
^^^^^^
Exactly

Reactions: KFuqua
I thought when Barnhardt went on TV to give Cal One More Year that the next Basketball Season would be a constant Fan Civil War with every game being dissected depending which side you were on. I was hoping that with a new hire that would not be the case. BUT, I was Wrong. We are right back to where we started. Intense Pressure on the Coach and Players like they have never seen before by the Fan Base. A Civil War is Coming and I’m afraid the Optics Nationally won’t be pleasant.
I'm pretty sure we're all in Appomattox atm.

People will chill out once it becomes official. He’s going to be under a microscope though. He doesn’t show signs of real tangible success by year three and it’s going to be ugly af.

Have you not been paying attention? We are already damaged goods! All the talk, all the wish lists of coaches we believed we could get...out the window. There's a reason Duke and UNC didn't try to poach a successful coach. Once they are making a couple of million a year, and comfortable in their spot, nobody wants to leave for higher expectations. Just to make a few more bucks. They're already rich.
Add to thar the last 12 hours of petulant temper tantrum? We suck as a fanbase. Does anybody really believe rejecting one of our own, in a very public way, will get us a top-tier coach? This place is even worse than I thought.

People will chill out once it becomes official. He’s going to be under a microscope though. He doesn’t show signs of real tangible success by year three and it’s going to be ugly af.
People on here are already demanding success on year one. We are unreasonable

Reactions: CBBCrazy
Yup apparently we will be at a civil war until we get a Hurley like coach here. I know we all wanted it but they passed.

Reactions: chroix
Why is it unreasonable to expect Success in year One???
The term "rebuilding year" came from somewhere. Most people understand that changing a whole program will bring some growing pains. Not every coach will show up with Wall and Cousins. That was the exception, not the rule.
I'm not saying he can't have success. If a few players stay, he brings his best who already know his system, and the portal is good to us, it could happen. But demanding success and refusing to give a grace period? We just look like what the media portrays. A headache not worth the trouble.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL and chroix
Yup apparently we will be at a civil war until we get a Hurley like coach here. I know we all wanted it but they passed.
Hurley was a Pope like coach at Rhoad Island. Duke and UNC promoted assistants who were never head coaches. Based on schools that are most comparable to us, we're right on track.
What's happening now is the loud and proud crowd who believed we could pick any coach, and name it and claim it, are realizing they were wrong. But rather than adapt, they're throwing a tantrum. The fanbase that didn't want Cal because he wouldn't adapt...refuses to adapt to reality. Times have changed.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The term "rebuilding year" came from somewhere. Most people understand that changing a whole program will bring some growing pains. Not every coach will show up with Wall and Cousins. That was the exception, not the rule.
I'm not saying he can't have success. If a few players stay, he brings his best who already know his system, and the portal is good to us, it could happen. But demanding success and refusing to give a grace period? We just look like what the media portrays. A headache not worth the trouble.
No but most fans thought the next Coach would bring some players with him and win portal battles to make us highly competitive next year. With Pope I’m not sure either will happen. It will be a rebuild from the ground floor. I think the average fan didn’t expect this.

• Haha
Reactions: oldsports_
They’re not pleasant right now. This is why the media was saying why would any successful coach go there and have to deal with the fans.

Hurley was a Pope like coach at Rhoad Island. Duke and UNC promoted assistants who were never head coaches. Based on schools that are most comparable to us, we're right on track.
What's happening now is the loud and proud crowd who believed we could pick any coach, and name it and claim it, are realizing they were wrong. But rather than adapt, they're throwing a tantrum. The fanbase that didn't want Cal because he wouldn't adapt...refuses to adapt to reality. Times have changed.
As part of the Loud and Proud Club I expected a top 10 Coaching hire at UK. I’m not sure Pope fits that description. Especially when better Candidates didn’t seem to be vetted. This appears to be a knee jerk scared hire.

No but most fans thought the next Coach would bring some players with him and win portal battles to make us highly competitive next year. With Pope I’m not sure either will happen. It will be a rebuild from the ground floor. I think the average fan didn’t expect this.
Oh I agree. They expected too much. They expected the Cal experience from 15 years ago, all over again. We are a spoiled lot. Pope might surprise us. He might sweet talk some players to stay, bring a few, and grab some run and gunners from the portal. Either way he deserves at least a season of grace.

As part of the Loud and Proud Club I expected a top 10 Coaching hire at UK. I’m not sure Pope fits that description. Especially when better Candidates didn’t seem to be vetted. This appears to be a knee jerk scared hire.
You expected too much. And we don't have any idea who was actually contacted and who wasn't. Seems like the ones who likely were avoided had baggage.

You expected too much. And we don't have any idea who was actually contacted and who wasn't. Seems like the ones who likely were avoided had baggage.
Cal had baggage. And we know Mitch Barnhart could have taken another month to find a Coach and Mark Pope would have still been there for the taking.

Cal had baggage. And we know Mitch Barnhart could have taken another month to find a Coach and Mark Pope would have still been there for the taking.
And whoever he got in a month would have received a grace period. Our whole team would have gone into the portal.l, and been scooped up like everyone else in the portal that late.
It doesn't take long to make a phone call. I suspect a lot more people were talked to over the last few days, and turned us down.
It's over. Quit pouting and get over it. Other Blue Bloods are having success with untested coaches. At least ours has actual head coaching experience.

Reactions: Fox2monk
And whoever he got in a month would have received a grace period. Our whole team would have gone into the portal.l, and been scooped up like everyone else in the portal that late.
It doesn't take long to make a phone call. I suspect a lot more people were talked to over the last few days, and turned us down.
It's over. Quit pouting and get over it. Other Blue Bloods are having success with untested coaches. At least ours has actual head coaching experience.
Ben Robert’s is reporting Pope was Mitch’s second choice behind Drew if Hurley turns us down is all we need to know.

“One of their own.” This idea that someone is qualified cause they played here for two years and then we never saw him again for 30 years is crazy.

He’s a terrible hire. There’s no way to explain that away. Maybe this guy miraculously becomes good but he does not have a resume to justify this job at all and Kentucky basketball fans have never been asked to get behind a coach with such little success.

It's not a civil war. The ones opposing it now even though they have ZERO reason to, will quietly fade away as time goes on.

Ben Robert’s is reporting Pope was Mitch’s second choice behind Drew if Hurley turns us down is all we need to know.
Actually, all you need to know is that the media was wrong at every step. But what does it matter if it was his 2nd choice. This is Mitch's job. I'm sure he can do it better than you.

And that’s the issue right there. This is like taking a third round pick with the number three overall choice in the draft.

They made Pope a top six paid coach. 😂 What is wrong with you, Mitch? How is Pope this valued because it’s certainly not off of merit.

“One of their own.” This idea that someone is qualified cause they played here for two years and then we never saw him again for 30 years is crazy.

He’s a terrible hire. There’s no way to explain that away. Maybe this guy miraculously becomes good but he does not have a resume to justify this job at all and Kentucky basketball fans have never been asked to get behind a coach with such little success.
Please reply and post Hurley's record pre-UConn. I'll check back.

It's not a civil war. The ones opposing it now even though they have ZERO reason to, will quietly fade away as time goes on.
Zero reason to? Seriously?

The man has no postseason success to speak of. He has no recruiting success to speak of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT