ADVERTISEMENT

Fact UK is Winning is Mircaulous Given QB Play

Stoops has Wilson in there because he coaches like Jerry Claiborne. If he does not change things up he will blow this season and the next one will be back to .500

PS Wilson is no Ramsey

I find it funny that some on here have completely forgotten some of the good things Wilson has done to help us win 5 out of 6 games to start the year, including a big game on the road at Florida.

Also, for all the folks who claim Hoak is this great passer, he's completing 57% of this pass attempts this year and that was against Murray State and CMU. That's a small sample size and many other variables come into play, but let's not act like Hoak is some super-accurate pocket passer.

I don’t think many folks are arguing the fact that Wilson has done some good things — especially in the Florida game. But a blind man can see that he has struggled as well. Saturday night, he was just downright terrible. He kept us behind the chains all night long. It’s hard to make a defense for why Hoak shouldn’t have gotten an opportunity.

If he does not change things up he will blow this season and the next one will be back to .500

An overtime loss on the road to the team all said was the second or third toughest we would face on the season, and we fear blowing the season, or next season?

We are 5-1 and ranked in the Top 20, so WTF is Going On?

An overtime loss on the road to the team all said was the second or third toughest we would face on the season, and we fear blowing the season, or next season?

We are 5-1 and ranked in the Top 20, so WTF is Going On?
Many, me included, are starting to think 1977 may be a dweller of locales under bridges.

I know that TW didn’t play well Saturday. He was terrified and it showed. He didn’t make reads he should be capable of; he didn’t use his feet when he should have; he slid early and missed a couple of critical first down opppoerinities; he just flat out didn’t get it done. He was scared and impacted greatly by that early hit he took, and the speed of the safety lurking around out there.

But, we could have, and should have won the game. Play calling did us in, not TW. Gran just vomited his dinner on the side line Saturday. And that play call, after a time out, with a 3rd and 2 - taking the ball out of Benny’s hands? WTF? We had to get that first down. 3rd and 2, on the road, in front of 100K. He should have let Benny run it twice and at least lost the game with our best option with the ball. No way in hell he should have let TW try to do that. Did Stoops call that play? I don’t know, but it was just dumb.

Reactions: UKGrad93
His game against A&M wasn't a good one, but abysmal is a stretch/ He isn't the starting QB for UK because he is a great passer, but because he gives the defense a 2nd running threat to take some attention off Snell. I do agree that sometimes a change at QB can add a spark to an offense that is struggling, but for that to happen the other QBs must have the trust of the coaching staff. I haven't watched any UK practices, very few who post here probably have, but for whatever reason the other 2 QBs haven't gained enough trust to be put into a pressure situation. I have no idea why, maybe a question someone from the media should ask at the next press conference.. As for not going back to Conrad, maybe defensive adjustments were made, One thing people tend to overlook is other teams also have good players and coaches who are making 7 figured salaries and they are trying to win too.

Not just seven figure salaries but also 8 figure contracts.

We can all play "ifs and buts" but we all know Wilson is a far superior athlete to Hoak. Also, going into last night's game, Wilson had a higher completion percentage.

Wilson sucked last night. No doubt about it. But until last night he had done everything that was asked of him. He was great at Florida and made big plays with both his arm and feet against MSU and USC. We are 5-1 and in fantastic shape for the back half of the year. Benching Wilson at this point because of a bad game in a crazy environment against a team we were supposed to lose to would be a big mistake.
He had 89 total yards and an INT vs MSU. Couldn’t have been many big plays there.

I find it funny that some on here have completely forgotten some of the good things Wilson has done to help us win 5 out of 6 games to start the year, including a big game on the road at Florida.

Also, for all the folks who claim Hoak is this great passer, he's completing 57% of this pass attempts this year and that was against Murray State and CMU. That's a small sample size and many other variables come into play, but let's not act like Hoak is some super-accurate pocket passer.
Hoak is made out to be a dink and dunker but if we want to bring up his 57% you also have to add that he averages 10 yards per attempt and 15 per completion, Wilson is at 6 and 9. Hoak has been pushing the ball down field on his limited pass plays, whereas Wilson dink’s and dunks.

Hoak has 2 TD passes in 4 series of play and Wilson has 3 in 6 games of play.

Hoak has about 15% of our total passing yards on the season. Another 11% of our passing yards came off 2 plays - the sweep to Bowden vs A&M and the reverse to Hughes vs Murray.

Snell and Hoak combine to match TD passes thrown by Wilson.

Not sure I have seen calls for a complete benching - but it may be nice to change up a few series a game or so.

Last edited:
1. Do you honestly think Gunnar Hoak at QB in the swamp and UK wins that game?
- Hoak literally could never have thrown the TD pass to Bowden...he simply has not arm strength for it
- Wilson ran in the other TD on a crazy athletic play with his feet.
- 3 other time he simply ran away from UF pass rush with his elite speed
2. Wilson is completing 66% completion percentage...but only 117 yards passing per game. But if you add in his rushing (which is only fair)...his stats go up to 170 yards per game total.
3. Wilson's legit threat on read option helps Benny in running game....you run Hoak out there and those OLB/DE will be crashing down on read option plays every single play.

I'll grant you he was awful from Texas AM....but he won the Florida game IMO. I do hope Gran/Stoops are quicker to give Hoak a series if Wilson is stale throwing it 3 series in a row.....but benching Wilson would be a knee jerk reaction IMO.
Would bet Hoak and Clark can make the 54 yard throw. They, along with Wilson warm up in pregame throwing 35-40 yarders flat footed.

Wilson doesn’t keep the ball or read on the read options. Teams aren’t having to hang out on him because he always has a predetermined read.

I agree he is the only one who could have had that performance vs UF and only one to lead us to a win. Not so sure the other QBs couldn’t have matched performances in the rest of the games or even bested his performances (especially vs MSU and AM). We are at a point we should have some series with the backup QB(s).

Last edited:
Wilson is taking too long to make decisions both at the line and when the ball is snapped.He is having a difficult time catching up to the speed of the game.He got his bell rung a couple of times and was ducking contact from that point on(he was looking for #6 more than anyone else)

A pretty big stage down there and a lot on the line ,tough night,we will see where he goes from here

Last edited:
Would bet Hoak and Clark can make the 54 yard throw. They, along with Wilson warm up in pregame throwing 35-40 yarders flat footed.

Wilson doesn’t keep the ball or read on the read options. Teams aren’t having to hang out on him because he always has a predetermined read.

I agree he is the only one who could have had that performance vs UF and only one to lead us to a win. Not so sure the other QBs couldn’t have matched performances in the rest of the games or even bested his performances (especially vs MSU and AM). We are at a point we should have some series with the backup QB(s).
Clark does have the arm to hit a deep shot...I've seen Hoak enough with my own eyes...he couldn't have hit that Florida TD to Bowden. He would have had to float it very high which the Florida DB would have had enough time to get back on it. Almost every time Hoak throws a pass deeper than 20 yards the WR have to wait on it...hardly ever hits them in full stride.

I do agree Wilson isn't keep near enough on read options...he needs to get some of his runs on those plays and less of the designed runs for him IMO.

I'm eager to see how much our coaches can evolve Terry Wilson the last 6 games. Stephen Johnson's first year he sort of hit a way better passing feel down the stretch of his first year. I'm hoping Wilson can evolve a bit as well.

Reactions: sefus12
Simple, we would likely be 6-0 and ranked in the top ten had they swapped out QBs in the second half.
I would like to be a millionaire. I have a friend who wants a Ferrari. Mick Jagger said you can’t always get what you want, but if you try so hard you just might find that you get what you need.

I have all the sympathy in the world for mature UK fans who have stuck by our team and are disappointed that we came close but lost in OT. But I am amused by people who have tried as hard as they could to tear down our team and our coaches and now complain self riteously because we are 5-1 with a ranking in the polls. Grow up.

Clark does have the arm to hit a deep shot...I've seen Hoak enough with my own eyes...he couldn't have hit that Florida TD to Bowden. He would have had to float it very high which the Florida DB would have had enough time to get back on it. Almost every time Hoak throws a pass deeper than 20 yards the WR have to wait on it...hardly ever hits them in full stride.

I do agree Wilson isn't keep near enough on read options...he needs to get some of his runs on those plays and less of the designed runs for him IMO.

I'm eager to see how much our coaches can evolve Terry Wilson the last 6 games. Stephen Johnson's first year he sort of hit a way better passing feel down the stretch of his first year. I'm hoping Wilson can evolve a bit as well.
You'd have to watch again - they can all hit that pass distance wise except for Walker Wood.

Hoak has better passing numbers in YPA and YPC so while his passing style may be more Dusty Bonner/Phillip Rivers he has shown in limited action to be more successful pushing the ball down the field, contrary to many arm strength debates.

TW is 25th in completion percentage in FBS.

TW is 105th in YPA in FBS.

Pass plays are either ultra safe short or on the sideline long. Not much else.

If they continue to run plays send 4 receivers into patterns where they go 10+ yards before they turn around any QB will struggle.

You'd have to watch again - they can all hit that pass distance wise except for Walker Wood.

Hoak has better passing numbers in YPA and YPC so while his passing style may be more Dusty Bonner/Phillip Rivers he has shown in limited action to be more successful pushing the ball down the field, contrary to many arm strength debates.
He was wobbling 30 yard post patterns in spring game...he can't throw a rocket over the top of a Florida zone defense covering 50 of the 54 yards w/o Bowden breaking stride. We can argue it all day long...Gunnar simply has no hose for that kind of play. That alone doesn't dictate he can't be effective passing on college....but there were 2-3 big plays from Terry Wilson in Florida game that Hoak simply wouldn't have made no matter what.

He was wobbling 30 yard post patterns in spring game...he can't throw a rocket over the top of a Florida zone defense covering 50 of the 54 yards w/o Bowden breaking stride. We can argue it all day long...Gunnar simply has no hose for that kind of play. That alone doesn't dictate he can't be effective passing on college....but there were 2-3 big plays from Terry Wilson in Florida game that Hoak simply wouldn't have made no matter what.
LOL - I said I think Wilson is our only QB that could put on that performance and beat Florida.

But Yeah, I believe Hoak can throw it 50 yards in air...he and Wilson throw back and forth to each other (team managers) from 35-40 yards pre game flat footed. Walker Wood struggles with the 35 yard...Danny Clark just flicks it with ease.

Now if you extend the distance, Wilson does have a stronger arm...I also have no argument about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT