ADVERTISEMENT

Facebook Marketplace

H. Lecter

Freshman
Nov 1, 2012
I’ve been thinking about getting Facebook mainly for marketplace but I’m sure I’d use it to check out my kids pictures that they put on there of my grandkids. Prolly use it to keep up with aunts and uncles and cousins I guess.
So I put a couple items up for sale on Craigslist and had zero response in like 2 weeks. Asked my wife to put them in her Facebook marketplace and it was nuts how many responses I got. Sold in 2 days.
I’ve been anti social media forever and this is the only place I visit and post (rarely, mostly I read everyone argue). To me it would be worth it to buy and sell on marketplace without asking my wife to message this person and have them call me.
My question is, how do I avoid the stupid?

Reactions: BlueTick2
With Facebook, you can't stop ads, but you can easily control what you see from your friends as well as what your friends see from you. To do the former just unfollow any friends whose posts you want to ignore, and to do the latter, just click the "Friends" option that appears under your name any time you go to post.

But if you're just using it for marketplace, then don't even send or accept friend requests, and you won't even have to worry about doing any of that.

Easy stuff. =)

Last edited:
With Facebook, you can't stop ads, but you can easily control what you see from your friends as well as what your friends see from you. To do the former just unfollow any friends whose posts you want to ignore, and to do the latter, just click the "Friends" option that appears under your name any time you go to post.

But if you're just using it for marketplace, then don't even send or accept friend requests, and you won't even have to worry about doing any of that.

Easy stuff. =)
That sounds easy enough. So can I look at my friends and kids stuff without being there “friend”?

Marketplace is kind of like Craigslist used to be. My family sells things on there and the responses are full of scams and nuts. I will say that everything that’s been posted has sold so there’s good exposure. I know a guy that flips cars and he keeps plenty of cash handy for marketplace ads and brags that he has paid cash for a car within an hour of the ad being posted.

As for friends, I discovered that my friends are way nuttier than I expected so be prepared. You can snooze folks for a while or block their posts altogether. I’ve got my feed down to close family, food, music, and entertainment and it’s working well for me.

I don’t post much on there but when I do

Half of them are fake profiles/scammers

Most try to bargain you down from asking price

Most won’t show up on time or at all so best tip is to ask for money up front

Reactions: JDHoss
As for friends, I discovered that my friends are way nuttier than I expected so be prepared. You can snooze folks for a while or block their posts altogether. I’ve got my feed down to close family, food, music, and entertainment and it’s working well for me.
Apparently my aunt is anti-vax and a family friend believes all sorts of conspiracies. Other than that, she's nice. I don't have Facebook but one piece of advice I'd give is join a neighborhood group. Typically your neighborhood, not a random one. You'll get scoop on any new stores/restaurants going up in your neck of the woods and my mom's group has folks who look out for neighborhood pets who've gotten out. She happened to be looking for a new dog and ended up with a great beagle that went unclaimed because of the group she's in.

I don’t post much on there but when I do

Half of them are fake profiles/scammers

Most try to bargain you down from asking price

Most won’t show up on time or at all so best tip is to ask for money up front
When we sold our house in Tennessee this summer, I sold a ton of stuff out of it on FBMP. Yeah, you'll have some scammers and people who want to haggle you down. I cut those people loose quick. I even sold some stuff to a lady who was from my old Virginia hometown. She was 3 years older than me, but we knew a lot of the same people and her brother in-law was a classmate. She got her stuff and we had a really nice conversation about where and how everyone we knew was doing.

I’ve been using EBay for years but I’m going to start selling on FBMP. The fees on EBay are just too much. One of your best bets is to join a group of what you are selling. For example, I have a bunch of Clock stuff I want to unload. I’ve joined a Clock repair/parts/sales group that I have sold a lot of stuff through. Set up PayPal or Venmo, any cash app I suppose would work, and go from there.

I’ve been thinking about getting Facebook mainly for marketplace but I’m sure I’d use it to check out my kids pictures that they put on there of my grandkids. Prolly use it to keep up with aunts and uncles and cousins I guess.
So I put a couple items up for sale on Craigslist and had zero response in like 2 weeks. Asked my wife to put them in her Facebook marketplace and it was nuts how many responses I got. Sold in 2 days.
I’ve been anti social media forever and this is the only place I visit and post (rarely, mostly I read everyone argue). To me it would be worth it to buy and sell on marketplace without asking my wife to message this person and have them call me.
Putting me on ignore would help some!

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Possibly sound advice, all. Sold various memory and SPARC CPUs on eBay for years between 1999-2003. Earned pretty good $. Accumulated over 1000 positive feedback.

Attempted selling a few new items lately on Craigslist. No bites. I mean zero. May try Facebook Marketplace.

Thanks.

Reactions: JDHoss
Still on the fence cause I’ve been proud to say “I don’t have Facebook”. Definitely leaning towards getting it now after reading how easy it is.

I don't facebook, but my wife does. I enjoyed marketplace up until...

my wife was banned from marketplace six years ago. An unknown rule to us concerned mentioning name brand clothing in the ad. Over spring break, she was cleaning out our boy's closets and dropped about 80 pieces of Nike, Polo, ect. on to marketplace.

Each post was a violation. At first it was a time out. It just stated we didn't follow terms of service. We didn't know what to correct. Every time we questioned an automated bot, that was an appeal. After three appeals, she was permabanned. There is no human to talk to. If she tries to go to marketplace now, it states the violation and that her appeals are exhausted.

From what I've read, it was the shear volume of posts at one time that red flagged her. To this day I don't follow the logic. I can list a Ford truck or a DeWalt impact with no consequences.

Our boys, now six years older still give her crap about it.

"Well mom, your facebook scamming caught up with you."

Still on the fence cause I’ve been proud to say “I don’t have Facebook”. Definitely leaning towards getting it now after reading how easy it is.

My wife has been cleaning out closets and sells on marketplace. Sold lots of stuff that we do not use anymore. Personally, I would not mess with any of it, but she said she likes it so guess who wins. Local sales they meet to pick up what they bought, usually a cracker barrel near us, and she takes stuff to the post office daily.

My mom runs into a number of scammers that are from nowhere near here. Also people wanting to use some unusual cash app. So she just tells them cash only. She's sold a car on there and some various other stuff.

My MIL is addicted to it, and it's kind of becoming a problem. She will buy almost anything if it's discounted even a little bit from the "new" price. So many things we have to be like "we don't need this please stop buying us random things"

With garage sales, there was only so many you could hit on a weekend, where you buy other people's shit. But now, someone can just sit on their phone all day and basically have one giant "garage sale" collective.

Only use FB for your stated purpose.......I don't follow anyone on my page....I don't have many friends listed......I use it to keep up with my grand kids......

My MIL is addicted to it, and it's kind of becoming a problem. She will buy almost anything if it's discounted even a little bit from the "new" price. So many things we have to be like "we don't need this please stop buying us random things"

With garage sales, there was only so many you could hit on a weekend, where you buy other people's shit. But now, someone can just sit on their phone all day and basically have one giant "garage sale" collective.
My problem with it is you get a 50% hit rate either someone no shows or at the last minute makes you postpone to another day.

My wife only does Venmo pay ahead if she sells something and porch pickups but then you have the randomness of people just showing up to a residence.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
My mom still has constant issues with it. Nearly every response is from people nowhere near here, they don't show up, or they want to pay with some unusual cash app. I think she has only had like 3 successful sales. She sold an old car that someone from Michigan drove down to Louisville and bought and towed it back.

My wife’s FB marketplace was hijacked and they sold thousands of fake goods. We got tipped off when she started getting emails asking where the stuff was they bought. She immediately tried to contact FB to get it shut down and it took weeks. There was absolutely no one to help her. Meanwhile people kept buying fake stuff and getting ripped off.

Most frustrating experience ever and she finally left FB for good. Hundreds of people got ripped off and FB offered no help or resolution. I’d NEVER buy anything off of there. Absolutely no way to know if it’s a legit listing.

• Wow
Reactions: AustinTXCat
My mom still has constant issues with it. Nearly every response is from people nowhere near here, they don't show up, or they want to pay with some unusual cash app. I think she has only had like 3 successful sales. She sold an old car that someone from Michigan drove down to Louisville and bought and towed it back.
One tip is when you get a message from someone you can view their profile - if it says created 2023 it’s most likely a bot…I tend to favor folks that have been on there a while.

One tip is when you get a message from someone you can view their profile - if it says created 2023 it’s most likely a bot…I tend to favor folks that have been on there a while.
She started saying cash only to cut some of the fake buyers out.

I’ve been using EBay for years but I’m going to start selling on FBMP. The fees on EBay are just too much. One of your best bets is to join a group of what you are selling. For example, I have a bunch of Clock stuff I want to unload. I’ve joined a Clock repair/parts/sales group that I have sold a lot of stuff through. Set up PayPal or Venmo, any cash app I suppose would work, and go from there.

Yeah so I’ve found this to be a real pain the ass too. Too many scammers that flood these pages.

Yeah so I’ve found this to be a real pain the ass too. Too many scammers that flood these pages.
Facebook needs to do a better job with that kind of thing. Maybe have everyone get verified in some way to where they can keep our the fake crap.

Another issue I hate is there are so many fake ads on Facebook. They are always some ridiculously low price with tons of positive reviews. I took a chance on one (something my mom wanted) and it had some sketchy tracking information. The tracking was acting strange with where it was supposed to be at and then the website changed when trying to investigate it.

The package ended up showing up after like 2 weeks, but it was some garbage earmuffs that weren't even wrapped up. Like someone had some used ones and just threw them in a package and sent it. Probably not worth $5 new and definitely wasn't what I ordered or worth the money I spent. It was supposed to be some kind of laser engraver. Called the credit card company and reported the scam.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT