ADVERTISEMENT

Explain the 3-point shooter that can't shoot free throws

UK3K

Sophomore
Mar 24, 2013
This statistical anomaly never ceases to amaze me: when I watch other games going on around the country or even teams playing against us and they have player who is a go to 3 point shooter and shoots a serviceable %, but then at some point in the game that guy gets to the line and their free throw % is only say 67%. How can you shoot well from the arc and not from the free throw line? At that point the, "their hands are too big" argument goes out the window, because obviously they can shoot.

Aka, the Jason Williams syndrome who played for puke in the early 2000's nobody really has a sure fire answer for the reasoning of this disease. Scholars maintain the reasoning for this genetic defect were lost years ago. Also lost in this terrible tragedy was why white guys over 6'7 rarely succeed to the nba with the an ability to not only shoot but play defense. We can only hope that one day science will solve these terrible mysteries.
I'm

It's mostly mental. You have time on a FT to think about your form, knee bend, hand placement, etc. Most of the time threes are hit off the catch with a defender closing out so it's just reaction.

In my playing days, I shot only 60% from the free throw line, but I shot 50% from the 3-point line.

My experience was that free throws are more difficult because you are not taking anything like a standard shot. As an outside shooter, I shot hundreds of jump shots per day in practice, some of the them from three and some from all over the court, inside and outside. But these were all jump shots, whereas free throws are set shots.

In addition, free throws do not mimic other shots. The mechanics are completely different and you have to take a lot off the shot.

Shooting free throws is 90% mental. The other half is technique.

h/t to Yogi Berra

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT