ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations for 2024-25

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I'll have to say, my expectations have shifted multiple times since the end of the season...

When Mitch and Cal first said Calipari would be staying, with some expected changes (I didn't like it, wanted Cal gone), I expected this year's team to be talented and win a number of regular season games, but to ultimately finish the same way as all his recent teams failed, which was to get a decent seed but melt in the postseason.

April 9th, when Calipari announced he was leaving for Arkansas, I expected him to take everyone and leave the cupboard completely bare for whoever the next coach would be. I expected 2024-25 would be either around a .500 season or maybe even a losing season.

April 12th, along comes Mark Pope. My initial expectations weren't very high. In fact, I initially was upset with the hire. I thought UK could do better. I expected we'd be looking at maybe a .500 season.

April 14th: then came his introduction and I was sold on him as the right guy at the right time. But still, the cupboard was bare, and even with a group of Kentucky unforgettables, I thought they'd be struggling to even get to 20 wins and make the Dance.

And then Pope started recruiting and bringing in his assistants and the team started coming together. I like the experience on the team. I like the shooters on the team. I like that these guys can defend, which was something we were painfully missing last season. I expect Pope, an offensive savant, to get these guys scoring well. When Jaxson Robinson withdrew from the NBA draft, I was very excited. My expectations became much higher at this point, but I was still worried about worried about chemistry and cohesiveness from so many transfers. I was expecting a team that would win a good number of games, likely win every game they're favored to win but lose against the best teams. So, I expected a team that gets to 20, maybe up to 22 wins, makes the Dance in 7-10 range.

July 17: Then comes the practices and scrimmage with La Familia where this team beats La Familia and their shooting is off the charts, followed by additional summer workouts and reports. So, at this point, for better or worse, my expectations soared. At this point, I was thinking the team could go deep into the postseason and even make a Final Four with a couple breaks.

October 15: Ok, so now that I've looked at some of the best teams in the league- Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Texas, and some of these national contenders like Kansas, UConn, Houston, Gonzaga, Duke UNC, and I realize there are a bunch of really good teams this season. The transfer portal and NIL money has allowed coaches to sign key players. So, I still think this UK team has the ability (because they can shoot the ball and they can defend) to be very good. But I feel like Final Fours are out for now in my mind. It seems unreasonable to expect that for a first season with a new coach and an entirely new team. My expectations now are that this team will be very good, win a bunch of games this season, beat some teams they're not expected to beat, make the Dance, and could make a good run in the postseason if the team continues to improve. I'm expecting 24 or so wins, a 4-5 seed, a Sweet 16 with the potential to go deeper. It's much better than I expected when Calipari left but much less than I thought when I was giddy back in July.

My expectation is better than last year in the post-season so winning a single game in the NCAA tournament and not letting Arkansas come into Rupp and win. Anything more than that and they'll have exceeded my expectation and anything less will be a disappointment.

Last edited:
Reactions: IL Wildcat
My high level expectations for year 1:

Go above .500 in the big ooc games (duke, Clemson, Zaga, UL, and OSU). Do not lose to crappy teams in Rupp. Try and get double bye in SECT and make it to at least the semi finals. Land a 4-5 seed and get to second weekend of NCAAT.

Anything above that and I’ll be ecstatic. Anything below that, I can live with as long as we see continual improvement and roster moves for the future.

2to 3 pre conf. Losses
3 to 5 sec losses
I can live with 8 losses 1st year mark had to construct a full roster make ncaa win a game or 2 I am hoping for more and less losses go cats
This is quite the lofty expectation year one. “I can live with 8 losses” feels a bit unfair to Mark for a team built by transfers and freshman. I certainly hope most fans don’t feel this way.

For me year one, win two tournament games between the SEC and NCAA. That’s my goal. He will have out performed Cal the last 4 years if he were to accomplish that.

In a simple man and that’s all I can ask from Pope. Win the SEC reg season and the SEC tourney, top ten in AP by end of year and a deep run in March. He agreed that a banner is the mission so…. Now if he falls short I’m not gonna scream fire Pope by any means unless of course we have some BGC type antics like blocking free throws.

I expect a rough start with a smooth finish.

Even if they are veterans, getting a brand new team of players to all be on the same page is a mega tough task. Even the pros have a hard time doing that.

I expect once they learn their roles, and how to anticipate each other's tendencies, they will gel into a unit and be a dangerous team come March.

21-9 ish
3rd in SEC
Sweet Sixteen

I looked at the projected starting lineups for the pre-season top 25. And honestly, I think without bias, we are in that 11-20 tier of teams.
Say we split the "tough non-conf games" (Gonz, Duke, Clemson, Ohio St), take care of business in the other non-conf games, then in SEC play split vs the top half of SEC games, and win 8 out of 10 vs the rest, that would put us in the 8 loss area. Probably 4th-5th in SEC, and 4-5 Seed in NCAA-T.

I'll have to say, my expectations have shifted multiple times since the end of the season...

When Mitch and Cal first said Calipari would be staying, with some expected changes (I didn't like it, wanted Cal gone), I expected this year's team to be talented and win a number of regular season games, but to ultimately finish the same way as all his recent teams failed, which was to get a decent seed but melt in the postseason.

April 9th, when Calipari announced he was leaving for Arkansas, I expected him to take everyone and leave the cupboard completely bare for whoever the next coach would be. I expected 2024-25 would be either around a .500 season or maybe even a losing season.

April 12th, along comes Mark Pope. My initial expectations weren't very high. In fact, I initially was upset with the hire. I thought UK could do better. I expected we'd be looking at maybe a .500 season.

April 14th: then came his introduction and I was sold on him as the right guy at the right time. But still, the cupboard was bare, and even with a group of Kentucky unforgettables, I thought they'd be struggling to even get to 20 wins and make the Dance.

And then Pope started recruiting and bringing in his assistants and the team started coming together. I like the experience on the team. I like the shooters on the team. I like that these guys can defend, which was something we were painfully missing last season. I expect Pope, an offensive savant, to get these guys scoring well. When Jaxson Robinson withdrew from the NBA draft, I was very excited. My expectations became much higher at this point, but I was still worried about worried about chemistry and cohesiveness from so many transfers. I was expecting a team that would win a good number of games, likely win every game they're favored to win but lose against the best teams. So, I expected a team that gets to 20, maybe up to 22 wins, makes the Dance in 7-10 range.

July 17: Then comes the practices and scrimmage with La Familia where this team beats La Familia and their shooting is off the charts, followed by additional summer workouts and reports. So, at this point, for better or worse, my expectations soared. At this point, I was thinking the team could go deep into the postseason and even make a Final Four with a couple breaks.

October 15: Ok, so now that I've looked at some of the best teams in the league- Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Texas, and some of these national contenders like Kansas, UConn, Houston, Gonzaga, Duke UNC, and I realize there are a bunch of really good teams this season. The transfer portal and NIL money has allowed coaches to sign key players. So, I still think this UK team has the ability (because they can shoot the ball and they can defend) to be very good. But I feel like Final Fours are out for now in my mind. It seems unreasonable to expect that for a first season with a new coach and an entirely new team. My expectations now are that this team will be very good, win a bunch of games this season, beat some teams they're not expected to beat, make the Dance, and could make a good run in the postseason if the team continues to improve. I'm expecting 24 or so wins, a 4-5 seed, a Sweet 16 with the potential to go deeper. It's much better than I expected when Calipari left but much less than I thought when I was giddy back in July.
I fully expect us to advance farther in the NCAA tournament than we have for the last several years.

Probably around 9 losses. If this team can make it past the first weekend of the tournament, it'll be a big improvement over what we've seen the past 5 years.

This is quite the lofty expectation year one. “I can live with 8 losses” feels a bit unfair to Mark for a team built by transfers and freshman. I certainly hope most fans don’t feel this way.

For me year one, win two tournament games between the SEC and NCAA. That’s my goal. He will have out performed Cal the last 4 years if he were to accomplish that.
It's all going to depend on team chemistry. Expectations will rise if this team clicks and they'll plummet if the team just can't work cohesively. On paper, I think drc's assessment is about right. Maybe a bit optimistic with the SEC meat grinder, but anything is possible.

Catch a hot hand against Bama, we could win both matchups. Go cold a few games and we could drop a few to bad teams.

Going to be exciting to watch the Pope era unfold.

My expectations for year one: Make the tournament. If favored, win a game.

That at least matches what FEBUK did the previous five seasons.

I believe college teams will lose more regular season games and there won’t be a top 10 with several 2-3 loss teams. 8 losses at season’s end will be a top 15 team.

Reactions: drcats2013
SEC looks tough but I think we have the capability to compete for the regular season and tourney crown. It's so hard to peg teams in the portal/NIL era because rosters get completely overhauled. I am hoping we can come together for a championship run, but this early on there are too many variables and unknowns for me to be confident that this team can do that.

Minimum expectation - If we don't hit this mark, I will have some worries about the direction of the program

Regular Season: 22-9 (lose to Gonzaga, Duke)
Conference Record: 11-7
SEC Tourney Semifinalist
Record entering NCAA: 24-10 [Low #4/High #5 Seed Line]
Season Record: 26-11
NCAA Sweet 16

Outperform/overachieve - If we can hit these targets, I think the season will be a success and the Pope era will have started off very well, setting up Pope and the program for a nice run.

Regular Season: 26-5 (lose to Gonzaga or Duke)
Conference Record: 14-4
Top 4 Seed in SEC Tourney
SEC Tourney Runner-up
Record entering NCAA: 28-6 [Low #2/High #3 Seed Line]
Season Record: 32-7
NCAA Final Four

Everyone is focused on offense but IMO defense will define how good our record will be. Consistent defense makes up for a bad offense night. I look for this team to be outstanding defensively, especially by the time conference play starts. I think 6 or 8 loss season will be a good 1st year for Pope and this team. Lamont Butler will be the straw that stirs the drink.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT