ADVERTISEMENT

"Evidence that a 9 game schedule is on the horizon "

Louisville game looks to be on its last leg if true
Screw Louisville and I'm fine with ejecting them from the schedule, but it also means that a very winnable game against Louisville becomes a game against a random SEC team, and unless that team happens to be Vanderbilt, it's less winnable than Louisville.

Not sure how much input each individual school is going to have on their OOC schedules. If we are wanting top money from TV deals the less SEC vs Sun Belt games the better. If Louisville offers 0 for playing them, what does playing Central Michigan offer? Right now UK clearly has the stronger program and who sees that changing anytime soon? Of course if CU and FSU are able to escape the ACC playing Louisville might become playing Central Michigan very soon and then it will be the P3. With the cost of attending games today, attending a cream puff game just isn't appealing to me. Playing GT does nothing for UGA, but kicking their teeth in for the last 20 years has been fun, and they are going to get better, may become competitive again soon, and I still want to play them.

Not sure how much input each individual school is going to have on their OOC schedules. If we are wanting top money from TV deals the less SEC vs Sun Belt games the better. If Louisville offers 0 for playing them, what does playing Central Michigan offer? Right now UK clearly has the stronger program and who sees that changing anytime soon? Of course if CU and FSU are able to escape the ACC playing Louisville might become playing Central Michigan very soon and then it will be the P3. With the cost of attending games today, attending a cream puff game just isn't appealing to me. Playing GT does nothing for UGA, but kicking their teeth in for the last 20 years has been fun, and they are going to get better, may become competitive again soon, and I still want to play them.
If they go 9 conference they'll go 13 overall, inevitable just too much money to be made. Regardless, it's time for UK to toss U6. If it wasn't for CM Newton U6 would've been in the OVC lo these many years. Eff'em.

Well you guys are ahead of ga tech…we are ahead of UL../but not nearly as you guys are.

Reactions: backinky2018
Right on, Grumpy. I don't get the idea that somehow we made UL's program or it means everything
to them and nothing to us. A lot of our fanbase were spewing the same zhit when it came to basketball.
If our athletics department backs out of this game it makes us look like chicken Sh!t We'd never hear
the end of it. JUST BEAT THEM!! Their athletics programs are struggling right now. Keep beating them
until they cry UNCLE!! or BIG BROTHER! If someone is going to back out of this thing make it be them.

Well you guys are ahead of ga tech…we are ahead of UL../but not nearly as you guys are.

Its true we are ahead of them right now, but it was a tight game last year with us winning by 8 and the stat line showing it was a tight game. GT has a new coach, an alumni who has publically stated his dislike for us, Brent Key. He is building relationships with state HS coaches, he is going to make them much better. Paul Johnson killed their program, he treated the HS coaches like they were 2nd class citizens and while he wasn't barred or anything they made no effort to welcome him the few times he visited a campus, plus his scheme did nothing to prepare kids for the NFL. But that's all changed, our games will become more competitive. Even if they beat us some alone the way I still want to play it.

Reactions: Blouman
Right on, Grumpy. I don't get the idea that somehow we made UL's program or it means everything
to them and nothing to us. A lot of our fanbase were spewing the same zhit when it came to basketball.
If our athletics department backs out of this game it makes us look like chicken Sh!t We'd never hear
the end of it. JUST BEAT THEM!! Their athletics programs are struggling right now. Keep beating them
until they cry UNCLE!! or BIG BROTHER! If someone is going to back out of this thing make it be them.

Not calling anyone chicken crap, but its an instate rivalry that has been going on for a century, I see no reason to stop it, even when we were on the short end of things, and the series has been in Tech's favor and was 25 years ago with O'Leary. But today, we have just about gotten their fans beaten down. Both of them.

Not calling anyone chicken crap, but its an instate rivalry that has been going on for a century, I see no reason to stop it, even when we were on the short end of things, and the series has been in Tech's favor and was 25 years ago with O'Leary. But today, we have just about gotten their fans beaten down. Both of them.
I wonder if they are planning on more "tourney" type of matchups instead of just bowl games?... Maybe do the top 12 and then 13 though 24 could have a playoff and 25 through 36 could have a playoff... Money wise... Could be a bigger payday than just one bowl matchup with a bunch of games nobody is watching. Instead of having 40 games and only 20 of them interesting... Just have great matchups week after week for 4 weeks.

Even the nba is doing the mid season tourney crap now. LOL.

Its true we are ahead of them right now, but it was a tight game last year with us winning by 8 and the stat line showing it was a tight game. GT has a new coach, an alumni who has publically stated his dislike for us, Brent Key. He is building relationships with state HS coaches, he is going to make them much better. Paul Johnson killed their program, he treated the HS coaches like they were 2nd class citizens and while he wasn't barred or anything they made no effort to welcome him the few times he visited a campus, plus his scheme did nothing to prepare kids for the NFL. But that's all changed, our games will become more competitive. Even if they beat us some alone the way I still want to play it.
An interesting analysis, but this is not a Georgia or Georgia Tech board. There you go again. 🙄

Reactions: entropy13
An interesting analysis, but this is not a Georgia or Georgia Tech board. There you go again. 🙄

What exactly did I say that offended you? I was responding to a thread about SEC going to 9 game schedule and instate rivals. Of the 4 SEC schools that have ACC instate rivals the only one that even considers giving up the series is UK, Clemson owns South Carolina but neither wants to give up the series, does me mentioning those 2 schools bother you too? UF and FSU has swayed back and forth but neither wants to give it up, how about those 2? But UK fans here want to give up the series, please explain that? Like it or not they are the instate rival.

Reactions: Soupbean
9 SEC games are going to be BRUTAL for the smaller SEC teams like us. This could quickly destroy the program if we don't win more than 50% of those extra games IMO.

It has nothing to do with us or them backing out but a nine game sec schedule has to eliminate teams from other power 5 conferences it's a gauntlet already at 8 games 9 games would be brutal other teams like us in the sec by end of the season have alot of players on the injured list and we can't recruit like the lsu's Georgia and Alabama to replace them it is what it is I personally don't want louisville gone either but I don't think there would be any other choice

I think our boys enjoy the devil out of the UL game. Any game, even MAC teams, come at a physical and mental cost. A week of prep and hitting another human being, and being hit.
Playing UL is too much fun to give up imho. As we have an SEC caliber team, I see us winning the vast majority of those games, especially as the ACC implodes.
I hope we keep it, I bet the players hope it as well.

Louisville game looks to be on its last leg if true

Good. A few years ago i started advocating getting rid of that game.

The acc is a joke so everyone knows its their only chance at any legitimacy. Thats one reason its their Superbowl. Compare that to us who have to battle through a murderous schedule just to deal with an amped up little brother at the end.

Just end it. We own their a$$ and they absolutely need that game whereas we need another dedicated home game and a week we can coast.

Reactions: Nuke99m
I think of it this way

Game 1 ..we all play a scrub to start
Gwme 2 non conference…within the first mknth another cupcake to work out kinks
Game 3 non conference…we need a breather in October

So by having to play UL…it’s last game and we’ll likely have no breathers after September if we keep them.

All signs point to just going 9 game sec snd 3 cupcakes…why sign up for more

At this point, I pray for sunbelt games. It would be more interesting football than watching drab games against 2 MAC teams and a midwestern FCS every season. We went away from CUSA/Sun Belt opponents because Stoops took a couple of non con L's from them early on. They switched Akron out this season for SoMiss with Ohio State so they didn't have to do the third game for the Akron contract. So Miss has been awful the last 3 years but I'll take awful So Miss over an awful Akron program. If nothing else there will be a little more speed.

Generally, I agree with what you're saying. The last 20 years environment of expanded bowls and 12 games to get to 6 wins has allowed UK to build its formula to achieve some things consistently. In this new era the environment is changing again and with increased tv money driving it all I don't see any way Louisville or someone equivalent doesn't stay on the schedule, even at 9 sec games, unless there are further conference developments that sort of necessitate it. I also think at some point in this new environment the bowl qualifications will likely be altered to fit in this new era. I'm not sure how many years it will take but I think if we're eventually looking at a p2/p3 we'll end up with no soft ooc games anymore. If these are the so called 'NFL of college' leagues then it will likely look like an NFL schedule so that every game has a chance to draw some audience on tv. It truly will be big boy football.

I'd be fine if we played 9 SEC and kept UL, as long as rules were in place to make scheduling fair across the conference. Like was tried and failed 10, 12 yrs ago, allegedly rules were put in that all SEC had to play an out of conference power 5 (then) opponent. Then, the powers that be started forcing in exceptions. Notre Dame, then BYU, then Army/Navy. Then Bama and other powers made their 1 game at "neutral" sites where they got 75% of the tickets.

Bottom line, UK shouldn't play UL when at the same time Miss St would schedule 3 Rum Dums, or Mizzou or Arkansas. But if they also have to play a Big or Big 12 or ACC, then yes UK should continue playing UL.

I think of it this way

Game 1 ..we all play a scrub to start
Gwme 2 non conference…within the first mknth another cupcake to work out kinks
Game 3 non conference…we need a breather in October

So by having to play UL…it’s last game and we’ll likely have no breathers after September if we keep them.

All signs point to just going 9 game sec snd 3 cupcakes…why sign up for more

Yeah, the battle to go 6 and 6 will replace the current frequent 7 and 5 IMO. You have to have three 100% winnable ooc cupcakes, especially the years you have 5 sec road games.

I remember when LSU and Tulane played every year for almost 100 years. All things end.

Reactions: backinky2018
This is just hypothetical, right now all SEC teams receive equal payment. TV money comes from what advertisers are willing to pay. They are willing to pay more for a game between say Bama and Kansas State than they are for a game between Bama and Arkansas State. When the 9th game is added and a new contract is bargained in with a clause stating games against group teams pay a reduced amount. What will the conference do? Will they
At this point, I pray for sunbelt games. It would be more interesting football than watching drab games against 2 MAC teams and a midwestern FCS every season. We went away from CUSA/Sun Belt opponents because Stoops took a couple of non con L's from them early on. They switched Akron out this season for SoMiss with Ohio State so they didn't have to do the third game for the Akron contract. So Miss has been awful the last 3 years but I'll take awful So Miss over an awful Akron program. If nothing else there will be a little more speed.

Generally, I agree with what you're saying. The last 20 years environment of expanded bowls and 12 games to get to 6 wins has allowed UK to build its formula to achieve some things consistently. In this new era the environment is changing again and with increased tv money driving it all I don't see any way Louisville or someone equivalent doesn't stay on the schedule, even at 9 sec games, unless there are further conference developments that sort of necessitate it. I also think at some point in this new environment the bowl qualifications will likely be altered to fit in this new era. I'm not sure how many years it will take but I think if we're eventually looking at a p2/p3 we'll end up with no soft ooc games anymore. If these are the so called 'NFL of college' leagues then it will likely look like an NFL schedule so that every game has a chance to draw some audience on tv. It truly will be big boy football.

10 years ago UK may have needed those games to get to a bowl, but that was 10 years ago. I am not saying sign up for OSU or Mich for an OOC game, but Indiana or BC, or even Perdue. UF always plays FSU, use to always play Miami, but moved away from that game. But for 24, they scheduled Miami, which at the time of scheduling wasn't a threat and UCF to go alone with FSU. A weak UF with 11 P4 games, should have went the Lincoln Riley route and begged for a cancelation on one of them.

But when things are finishing up at the end of the seasons and the selection committed is deciding on the 12, 16 or every how many the future holds. There will always be a tough decision on who is in and who is out. 3 non conference champion teams with 3 losses and 2 spots left. One team has 6 P4 wins they other 2 have 8 P4 wins, who do you think is out?

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
I understand this sentiment, and I'm not one of these blue glasses that thinks the game means everything to UL and nothing to us. I do think it means more to them than us, but I'd be lying if I said it meant nothing. in fact, our wins over them are some of our best "on paper" wins b/c they're weak schedules always lead to overratings and inflated records so our wins over them somehow look better than they are.

On the other hand, going to 9 SEC games makes it almost impossible to keep UL. We're better than them, but they're not a "gimme". If you're going to go to 9 SEC game,s then you need 3 gimmes every year.

I'd be fine if we played 9 SEC and kept UL, as long as rules were in place to make scheduling fair across the conference. Like was tried and failed 10, 12 yrs ago, allegedly rules were put in that all SEC had to play an out of conference power 5 (then) opponent. Then, the powers that be started forcing in exceptions. Notre Dame, then BYU, then Army/Navy. Then Bama and other powers made their 1 game at "neutral" sites where they got 75% of the tickets.

Bottom line, UK shouldn't play UL when at the same time Miss St would schedule 3 Rum Dums, or Mizzou or Arkansas. But if they also have to play a Big or Big 12 or ACC, then yes UK should continue playing UL.
It depends on if the ACC survives the next the few years. If FSU, Clem and the Carolina schools leave.... the conf is toast and the game doesn't make sense. ul game is important now because it's acc vs SEC.

Good Night ease up man. He's giving an analogy that falls right into the discussion of OUR sitution. Dont get the "get off our board" stuff. He's a long time visitor who contributes plenty to most discussions, he's not trying to divert it to just talk about his Bulldogs., he uses examples of UGA stuff to blend into tour own discussions. And our discussions are naturally goingt spill over to SEC talk all the time so unless we ban all talk about other schools hear ease up.

Maybe someone will see this but rumors floating around that CU and FSU are out of ACC and will join SEC and ND will be joining the Big10 and the biggest surprise is ATM is still upset about Texas joining the SEC they are leaving and will be joining the Big10. But lots of ifs there, ACC is still fighting to force CU and FSU to honor their contracts. Now if a team leaves, to keep an even number we will need to add an odd number, 1, 3, 5. I think 3 would be the number for now, and it will be CU, FSU and Miami.

The chance for Michigan/N. Ohio recruits to see the team live.

And gives players from those areas a chance for their families to see them play live.

It doesn't benefit UK to play UL. HS recruits in and around this state are well aware what we are all about.

Kids in NC or IL or PA or TX may not.

The chance for Michigan/N. Ohio recruits to see the team live.

And gives players from those areas a chance for their families to see them play live.

It doesn't benefit UK to play UL. HS recruits in and around this state are well aware what we are all about.

Kids in NC or IL or PA or TX may not.

Here is my reasoning, 2 P4 teams reaching the playoff, both with 9-3 records. both finish 6-3 in conference, one has 3 wins agains 2 P4 teams and a Mac team, the other has 3 wins against 2 Mac teams and conference USA team. Who gets left out of playoffs because they are short on quality wins, whatever those are. Too many fans are feeling UK 10 years ago when getting to 4 wins was a struggle, UK isn't that team any longer, now the task is getting to the playoffs.

This doesn't benefit UK playing UL, I don't get where that comes. How is beating your instate rival like a drum not benificial to UK?. Clemson owns South Carolina, but South Carolina nor Clemson want to end the series. SC almost went against SEC wishes and played them anyway in the covid year. Same can be said with the FSU and UF series.

I just feel its going to come out of Birmingham soon that we, SEC schools are going to be limited to the number of Group teams we can play. Why should teams playing 10 P4 teams not get a bigger cut of the TV money that a team playing 9? UF is playing 11 P4 teams this year. I have seen it posted more than once here that the fans would like to see UK play in one of the Kickoff games, put your name in the hat, UK has a brand now, fans travel very well, one of them would be glad to have UK, but don't expect to line up against Akron.

Last edited:
Here is my reasoning, 2 P4 teams reaching the playoff, both with 9-3 records. both finish 6-3 in conference, one has 3 wins agains 2 P4 teams and a Mac team, the other has 3 wins against 2 Mac teams and conference USA team. Who gets left out of playoffs because they are short on quality wins, whatever those are. Too many fans are feeling UK 10 years ago when getting to 4 wins was a struggle, UK isn't that team any longer, now the task is getting to the playoffs.

This doesn't benefit UK playing UL, I don't get where that comes. How is beating your instate rival like a drum not benificial to UK?. Clemson owns South Carolina, but South Carolina nor Clemson want to end the series. SC almost went against SEC wishes and played them anyway in the covid year. Same can be said with the FSU and UF series.

I just feel its going to come out of Birmingham soon that we, SEC schools are going to be limited to the number of Group teams we can play. Why should teams playing 10 P4 teams not get a bigger cut of the TV money that a team playing 9? UF is playing 11 P4 teams this year. I have seen it posted more than once here that the fans would like to see UK play in one of the Kickoff games, put your name in the hat, UK has a brand now, fans travel very well, one of them would be glad to have UK, but don't expect to line up against Akron.
The SEC will not allow UK to drop UL. It’s part of the SEC/ACC rivalry now and is great for UK exposure. Too many UK fans want UL to go back to their Metro Conference days but that isn’t going to happen. They are a P4 school and I don’t see that changing. The renewal of the rivalry 30 years ago has been as good, and bad, for us as it has been for them. We are not Georgia or Bama. We can’t dictate to anyone

The SEC will not allow UK to drop UL. It’s part of the SEC/ACC rivalry now and is great for UK exposure. Too many UK fans want UL to go back to their Metro Conference days but that isn’t going to happen. They are a P4 school and I don’t see that changing. The renewal of the rivalry 30 years ago has been as good, and bad, for us as it has been for them. We are not Georgia or Bama. We can’t dictate to anyone
Perhaps you are right that we will be stuck with Louisville, and perhaps not. I hope not- Devil take them. The SEC can set schedules as appropriate, because they want as many wins as possible, and they may decide, in a 9 game SEC schedule, that every SEC team gets 3 cupcakes at home, for revenue, and obviously Louisville won't agree to play in Lexington without a 50/50 home split. MAC and Sun Belt teams will, though.

Your second point was that the renewal of the rivalry benefits both teams and that's laughable. For one thing, 30 years ago, there was no rivalry to renew, unless you want to go back nearly a century. They were never a true rival. And this "rewenal" absolutely benefited them more than UK. Are you a Louisville fan, per chance? I smell a rat.

In summary, no, we're not Georgia or Alabama, but we are in the Southeastern Conference, and the SEC pretty much dictates to everyone outside of Ohio St. and very few others.

Last edited:

Okay, from that point right there... Whichever team will get more viewers and/or more ticket sales.

That simple.

Okay, from that point right there... Whichever team will get more viewers and/or more ticket sales.

That simple.

TCU throws that completely out the window. But if that is what you think does it mean the team with largest stadium gets the bid?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT