ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Daniels coming up on KSR in a few minutes

I'm not saying Cal has done a bad job. I'm not saying anything negative about the coaches or team or anyone else.

I'm saying that's it's ridiculous to act like losing the kid doesn't matter.

You say Icing on the Cake--we have had cake without the icing since 2015. The "icing" is the difference between playing in the Final 4 and just another good Calipari team

Exactly. Add Bridges to that 2017 team and even two versions of John Higgins couldn't have stopped UK.

The last piece is often the difference. People will always remember the 2012 team for Davis and MKG. But what if they lacked Jones?

Getting as many of these guys as possible is so important, especially in recent years when about half our incoming guys have needed vast amounts of development.

I'm not saying Cal has done a bad job. I'm not saying anything negative about the coaches or team or anyone else.

I'm saying that's it's ridiculous to act like losing the kid doesn't matter.

You say Icing on the Cake--we have had cake without the icing since 2015. The "icing" is the difference between playing in the Final 4 and just another good Calipari team

The fault in this logic is that we were a shot away from the Final Four in 2 of the last 3 seasons. In 2 of Cal’s 4 Final Four seasons, we basically made it by a shot. ‘17 and ‘19 were better seasons than ‘11 or ‘14, right up until the coin flips at the end.

Bottom line is that our results haven’t drastically changed. Cal has put 3 dominant teams on the court. One lost in the Elite Eight, one lost in the Final Four, one won it all.

I would prefer domination. I’m sure we all would. But the truth is that Cal has fielded 2 of his top 5 UK teams over the past 3 years. The ball has just bounced the wrong way on us.

Thanks for the grad school line, @Aike . I'm an independent research class away from being done. I've actually exceeded my own expectations here, but I plan to return to secondary teaching when I'm done as opposed to continuing in a PhD program.

I'm frustrated if we don't get McDaniels. Cal has not been able to land elite wing forwards (outside of MKG, Whitney, Knox) and it hurts his sale's job when going toe to toe with Duke. We need to get these guys if we're ever going to bridge the gap and overtake K in this regard. This isn't just about Jaden. It's also about what Cal is able to sell Jalen Johnson, Jonathan Kuminga, etc.

This stuff is vitally important on the recruiting trail. If you don't believe me, ask Tatum and company why they keep picking Durham over Lexington. It's not just about Nike. It's also about a real history of success with similar wing players.

Understood SS, (Glad you are doing well. I never could justify the dough of the PhD route so I stopped.) my problem is, why has that same premise not recently translated in great Big Men for Cal? Cuz, KAT, WCS, Randle, yadda, yadda, yadda....why in the world would any 5 man choose any other than UK at this time and the last few years? It does not compute... (I do know about the pay for play angle and that is a large part of it (I feel) but certainly not all...

I don’t think it “matters” and I don’t think I’m silly. If a player doesn’t want to be here, I’m not going to lose my mind complaining about it.

Cal tends to put together a pretty good team. I’m going to cheer for whomever we put on the floor next season. I suspect that I’ll be cheering deep into March, as usual.

I’ll lose my mind enough for the both of us and just....I guess start swingin. Y’all look out.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
The fault in this logic is that we were a shot away from the Final Four in 2 of the last 3 seasons. In 2 of Cal’s 4 Final Four seasons, we basically made it by a shot. ‘17 and ‘19 were better seasons than ‘11 or ‘14, right up until the coin flips at the end.

Bottom line is that our results haven’t drastically changed. Cal has put 3 dominant teams on the court. One lost in the Elite Eight, one lost in the Final Four, one won it all.

I would prefer domination. I’m sure we all would. But the truth is that Cal has fielded 2 of his top 5 UK teams over the past 3 years. The ball has just bounced the wrong way on us.

P_SS on those bounces too!!!

Reactions: Aike
I’ll lose my mind enough for the both of us and just....I guess start swingin. Y’all look out.

Lol it’s all good. I just talk everybody off the ledge. I like the team we will have next year even without adding anyone else. I think they will be as good as the team we just had, and that team was Final Four quality.

Of course I would rather have 2010, 2012, or 2015 talent. I hope we get at least one more year like that before the rule changes. But any team that can hang around in the 1-2 seed range all year will be fun to follow.

Lol it’s all good. I just talk everybody off the ledge. I like the team we will have next year even without adding anyone else. I think they will be as good as the team we just had, and that team was Final Four quality.

Of course I would rather have 2010, 2012, or 2015 talent. I hope we get at least one more year like that before the rule changes. But any team that can hang around in the 1-2 seed range all year will be fun to follow.

Am I the only person here that sees this as misdirection because too much broke too soon and his family wants him to have “ his moment” (roll eyes emoji)

I mean it seems right on the mark with how it would go. Some families back off when too much is released.

I’m keeping his seat warm and just waiting for the told ya so’s.

I tend to prefer the literal translation over the analogy. The literal translation is that having a 6'10" guy with guard skills, who also projects as a top 5 pick (247 has him ranked the lowest by the way - most have him in their top 6 or 7), is just the type of thing that could put you over the top in an Elite Eight game when you're tired 60-60 with 13 seconds left.

Keldon Johnson kicking to Tyler Herro instead of going bull in china shop would have probably had the same impact.

So I’ll believe that next year, Tyrese Maxey kicks to Juzang for the win. I’m an optimist.

Am I the only person here that sees this as misdirection because too much broke too soon and his family wants him to have “ his moment” (roll eyes emoji)

I mean it seems right on the mark with how it would go. Some families back off when too much is released.

I think there’s logic to what you’re saying. But there’s also logic to him getting massive heat from the locals when news started to leak, and he wouldn’t be the first prospect who caved.

Understood SS, (Glad you are doing well. I never could justify the dough of the PhD route so I stopped.) my problem is, why has that same premise not recently translated in great Big Men for Cal? Cuz, KAT, WCS, Randle, yadda, yadda, yadda....why in the world would any 5 man choose any other than UK at this time and the last few years? It does not compute... (I do know about the pay for play angle and that is a large part of it (I feel) but certainly not all...

Good question.

I do think Nike plays a part, but not the whole part. The other element of why Duke has been successful is the part that most of our fans understate - which is that Duke has historically landed a plethora of elite wings. Has it always translated into tournament success? I'd argue that they've failed miserably when it comes to advancing with their recent elite wings, but they still have the history, and that matters to these kids (as does K's involvement with Team USA). I also don't think Duke has locked up as many elite bigs as we might think. They landed Carter and Carey, but missed on Stewart, Bamba, and others. I'd argue that Bagley was a Nike kid, bought and paid for.

Also, Cal's success with bigs has continued to pay off. It helped us land Travis, Bam, Skal, Richards, and Montgomery in recent years.

But your point is a valid one. That said, Cal has virtually nothing to point to when it comes to elite wings. MKG is mostly irrelevant now and even in his prime, he represented the antithesis of how many of these guys want to play. Knox is a great name to throw out and the UK staff has used him frequently for a reason. Whitney will also likely be in that category down the road.

But having a plethora of these guys helps. It may not help you land the Marvin Bagley-level guy who's bought and paid for, but it will help you land the Bam-level guys of the world. Sometimes these kids want to look at a coach and find a player that plays like he does. Jaden fits the mold for where the game is trending. There will be more kids like him down the road and it will help Cal to have a few guys like that that he can pull from a hat and say, "Look what I did with McDaniels and Knox. I can do the same with you."

I think there’s logic to what you’re saying. But there’s also logic to him getting massive heat from the locals when news started to leak, and he wouldn’t be the first prospect who caved.

No wouldn’t be the first. These parents just aren’t very bright today. Fandom aside, it’s a no brainer. I mean damn dad, remove head from ass.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt and Aike
Yeah, who needs a 6'10" potential top 3 pick with elite guard skills at the one position that Calipari has historically sucked at (wing forward) and often failed to convince recruits he can do better than Coach K at when it comes to player development?

We will be fine. We haven't missed a crucial piece the last few years when trying to advance in the tournament and our roster already looks more than good enough to win it all. Adding another elite player the potential gem of the class?

Who needs all that? We're good to go!
So....are you finished ranting? What key part was missing in 2017 except for an honest official?.

So....are you finished ranting? What key part was missing in 2017 except for an honest official?.

A 6'7" built-like-a-man Miles Bridges who could guard Justin Jackson and give us elite-level consistency from the 4 spot for starters.

Evidently, you also didn't think missing on him was that big of a deal.

Thanks for advancing my point.

I'm sure this is part of it, but I struggle envisioning a world where Jaden's great uncle, teammates, and the local gas station attendant are that involved in Washington Huskies basketball enough to hound the kid upon the twitter rumors breaking.

I mean, Cal isn't stealing this kid from Bloomington, Indiana or some place like that. This is Washington we'red talking about. Are their fans/Jaden's family really that invested in keeping him local?

No wouldn’t be the first. These parents just aren’t very bright today. Fandom aside, it’s a no brainer. I mean damn dad, remove head from ass.

So the family has had a full year or so to consider the pros and cons of moving Jaden east of the Mississippi, but now they're caught up in the sudden avalanche of what it will actually mean to move him to Lexington?

The potential fragility there just seems a bit unreasonable for a kid who projects as a top 3 pick in next summer's draft.

Nope, there’s several others. Then there are those cough Evan Daniels cough, that just want to be right. Sometimes in recruiting, you just know when it feels right. For me, this is one of those times.

So the family has had a full year or so to consider the pros and cons of moving Jaden east of the Mississippi, but now they're caught up in the sudden avalanche of what it will actually mean to move him to Lexington?

The potential fragility there just seems a bit unreasonable for a kid who projects as a top 3 pick in next summer's draft.

I think he’s coming. This sounds like last minute theatrics and misdirection. That build up was too strong to lose it at the last second.

Daniels got in contact with the dad and asked has he signed his LOI, has he committed to UK?

No.

Ok then, I guess I’m foggy.

From there everyone is doing exactly what they want. Making his announcement decision unknown.

Exactly. Add Bridges to that 2017 team and even two versions of John Higgins couldn't have stopped UK.

The last piece is often the difference. People will always remember the 2012 team for Davis and MKG. But what if they lacked Jones?

Getting as many of these guys as possible is so important, especially in recent years when about half our incoming guys have needed vast amounts of development.

I've said this almost every year we've lost under Cal.

2010 - Meeks/Xavier Henry
2011 - Kanter
2013 - would take more than just one guy, but Teague/Shabazz/Bennett
2014 - Wiggins/WCS not getting hurt
2015 - a healthy Poythress
2016 - Dakari coming back (still probably don't win the title, but that team would be much improved with a legit post presence)
2017 - Bridges
2018 - Bamba
2019 - Zion

I always feel like UK is 1 recruit away from being a strong contender to a dominant, 2012/2015 type team instead of (1 of X teams that could win it all). I've blamed injuries on a lot of our losses in the tournament, but add 1 more recruit and some of those injuries don't derail our season.

McDaniels seems to be more of an undecided kid than someone who is "keeping his recruiting close to his chest". He's either getting cold feet or is being swayed to stay home and play for the powerhouse that is Washington.

Be interesting to see what happens. I've always thought that the best recruits for Kentucky are the ones who want to be here and see the value Cal brings. If McDaniels can't see that, is a bit apprehensive, and doesn't want to make enemies back home.. then Washington suits him best.

McDaniels seems to be more of an undecided kid than someone who is "keeping his recruiting close to his chest". He's either getting cold feet or is being swayed to stay home and play for the powerhouse that is Washington.

Be interesting to see what happens. I've always thought that the best recruits for Kentucky are the ones who want to be here and see the value Cal brings. If McDaniels can't see that, is a bit apprehensive, and doesn't want to make enemies back home.. then Washington suits him best.
His high school coach thinks he picks tomorrow so we might know soon

I thought Stewart going to UW and Brooks here took UK out but Cal and staff have done a really good job keeping us in it.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I tend to prefer the literal translation over the analogy. The literal translation is that having a 6'10" guy with guard skills, who also projects as a top 5 pick (247 has him ranked the lowest by the way - most have him in their top 6 or 7), is just the type of thing that could put you over the top in an Elite Eight game when you're tired 60-60 with 13 seconds left.
I think that most think Mcdaniels has a much higher upside than anyone else we're getting
I'm not going to speak in definites because I really only keep up with the kids on our roster - so my working knowledge of any recruit is limited. Meaning, I'll defer to you guys on how good or important he is. I'm not as concerned about "upside" - if he's only here a year, most of that won't be realized, so as a differentiator, it's of limited use. If JM really has "guard skills" that changes things - provided guard skills includes shooting skills. Don't lump me in with the crowd that only values shooting, but it is becoming undeniably more important in the college game. Cal has historically found his footing in great defense and rebounding. Length is paramount. It will be interesting to see if he evolves on that, or if he thinks this all just a fad, and his is a blueprint that will always serve the purpose of winning. Old Cal would gladly cover the floor with guys having +7 wingspans, presenting a suffocating defense, blocking shots and owning the glass - even if shooting was limited. Is McDaniels that kind of player? Or does he have more offensive skill than that? The answer to that tells me how crucial he is, in my own mind. Which is irrelevant, of course......

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I think he’s coming. This sounds like last minute theatrics and misdirection. That build up was too strong to lose it at the last second.

Daniels got in contact with the dad and asked has he signed his LOI, has he committed to UK?

No.

Ok then, I guess I’m foggy.

From there everyone is doing exactly what they want. Making his announcement decision unknown.
I am with you on this, because you would think we may hear something from Cal trying to reach out to McDaniels, or maybe he won't because he knows what is going on.

Last edited:
A 6'7" built-like-a-man Miles Bridges who could guard Justin Jackson and give us elite-level consistency from the 4 spot for starters.

Evidently, you also didn't think missing on him was that big of a deal.

Thanks for advancing my point.
No I don’t because with just a decent whistle we win in that going away

No I don’t because with just a decent whistle we win in that going away

Or just get Bridges and add a 13 and 6 guy to your roster who matches up with anyone.

Defending legit forwards was our issue all season with that team. Bridges would have given UK a fourth dynamic player. Put him on that team and you don't have to worry about Higgins.

It is all opinions...I have thought we would get McDaniels ultimately. I also said I thought JM was better than Hurt and would rather have him.

Per Daniels he thinks Juzang was more important for us to get than McDaniels.
It is all opinions...I have thought we would get McDaniels ultimately. I also said I thought JM was better than Hurt and would rather have him.

Per Daniels he thinks Juzang was more important for us to get than McDaniels.
Have agreed with this for a while

Reactions: HagginHall1999
If it was the home town school why not just commit and look like one of the saviours in that class. Only ones he is hurting is UK fans and he’s clear across the country so why would he care. Now if the pick was UK the locals would harass the hell out of him.

I've said this almost every year we've lost under Cal.

2010 - Meeks/Xavier Henry
2011 - Kanter
2013 - would take more than just one guy, but Teague/Shabazz/Bennett
2014 - Wiggins/WCS not getting hurt
2015 - a healthy Poythress
2016 - Dakari coming back (still probably don't win the title, but that team would be much improved with a legit post presence)
2017 - Bridges
2018 - Bamba
2019 - Zion

I always feel like UK is 1 recruit away from being a strong contender to a dominant, 2012/2015 type team instead of (1 of X teams that could win it all). I've blamed injuries on a lot of our losses in the tournament, but add 1 more recruit and some of those injuries don't derail our season.

This!

Reactions: Mr_GG
If it was the home town school why not just commit and look like one of the saviours in that class. Only ones he is hurting is UK fans and he’s clear across the country so why would he care. Now if the pick was UK the locals would harass the hell out of him.
...and Bingo was his Nameo!

This is why I think they've done some redirection, and believe (with not too much confidence) that he'll be a Wildcat.

Basically Evan saying he made his pick for UK because of info he'd heard he was confident. Then in the last few days he's heard info that makes him believe the kid has changed his mind. If he picked tonight it would probably be Washington. BUT, he's obviously wavering and can change him mind 10 more times before he commits, he's a 17/18 year old kid and that's what they do.
So...

He knows as much as any random poster on this board... got it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT