ADVERTISEMENT

ET-over rated movies

Big yikes on the 2001 hate in here.

Asking the Paddock as a whole about movies is like asking GYERO about music.

Kubrick's easy my favorite director and in my humble opinion 2001's easily his most overrated movie. It's a technical masterwork and its influence can't be understated, but watching paint dry's more entertaining.

Reactions: jrpross
Loved Pulp Fiction, but overall, a lot of Tarantino movies are sort of meh

Similar to Spike Lee, loved Do the Right Thing, but a lot of other stuff, not all that great. Just watched his new move, Da 5 Bloods, and it had a clever plot, but got off on too many tangents and too much random preaching that added nothing to the story. Like too many of his other movies, just not that great.

Reactions: JFCats22
I had to sit thru Out of Africa with my then GF at her parents house.

My vote for "most overrated movie of all time" with the "most overrated actress of all time".

Like most movies, especially kids movies, watching them when you're older for the first time probably won't work.

I didn't get Baby Driver. Not sure what the buzz was about.

I won't go as far as saying John Wick is overrated.. but I left all 3 slightly disappointed. Good, Solid movies. Great and tactical gun play, but it kinda gets old. Plot got wonky, not the greatest bad guys.

Came here to find a thread on overrated movies as I watch John Wick.. still not seeing what all the fuss is about.. and looks like me from two years ago was already on this take.

Don't get it. I actually think even less of it now than I did. If it wasn't for some name actors this would be a direct to DVD bargain bin type movie.

Acting is bad, many decisions make no sense. It doesn't nothing really "new" with the genre. Every few minutes there's another "he'd have been killed" scenario that just feel way more unbelievable than most action films.

Reactions: blubo
I may be in the minority but I found the Matrix movies to be overrated. I watch a movie to be entertained and if I have to spend the whole movie trying to figure out what the heck is going on it is not entertaining to me.

Reactions: VernHatton52
I didn't like ET when I was a kid but I appreciate it more now as an adult. I saw it in the theater a few months back and it was amazing. You can see it influencing so many things nowadays like Stranger Things. I've never gotten the love for 2001; I get that it's a technical marvel but it's the most boring movie I have ever seen.

Reactions: J_Dee
I've watched Citizen Kane many times. A decent flick but the greatest movie ever made? I just don't see it. Film noir? OK.
Citizen Kane was considered great because of Orsen Welles' genius new filming techniques. The story was just average at best.

Last edited:
I thought ET was so bad as a kid, I still refuse to watch it again.
I also think Star Wars was way overrated, it was "eh.." at best.
Gladiator was a solid movie though.

Prometheus. And the Prometheus "the movie is too deep for you" fanboys are insufferable.

Just curious on your guys opinion of Goonies. Just to see if its timing or taste.

I like Goonies but as an adult Corey Feldman and Sean Astin are really annoying. Gremlins is one I really like. Feldman is much better in that and Stand By Me.

Last edited:
I like Goonies but as an adult Corey Feldman and Sean Astin are really annoying. Gremlins is one I really like. Feldman is much better in that and Stand By Me.
I told my dad about River Phoniec over the holidays and he likes Joaquin. After I showed him a couple of River's older films he really loves Joaquin now.

Reactions: christophero
Shawshank
Scarface
Gladiator
Top Gun (both of them)
Wedding Crashers
Inception
Any Rocky that isn't the original Rocky

Just curious on your guys opinion of Goonies. Just to see if its timing or taste.
I enjoyed Goonies when I was younger and still like it as an adult. I think the nostalgia in movies you enjoyed as a kid keeps it entertaining when you're older. I wouldn't mind seeing a new Goonies with everyone grown up in it. Maybe have Astin's character find a new map and he wants to get the gang back together for one last treasure hunt. Could include the characters' kids and make it a big Disney movie to introduce to today's kids. Make it like National Treasure meets Grown Ups.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Picking newer films as overrated is tricky. While I think Memento is just fine, no one ever talks about it except if you occasionally listen to a nerdy film podcast and they happen to bring it up for five minutes and then move on. So is Memento or Inception actually overrated when no one talks about them?

One I will mention is Avatar. The 3D looked great, but it's a very simplistic story, far too long, and the characters in Pandora really don't look that impressive to me from a creative standpoint. The creatures in Aliens are far more impressive. The world of Avatar looks like a 3D screensaver from the mid-2000s but both films grossed billions which means we're probably getting Avatar movies until 2045. I just don't get the series and Cameron's idea of wanting several of these made for the rest of his life.

Never quite understood all the fuss over The Big Lebowski.

I think there's definitely part that is just me "not getting it".. but also part fans of this movie blowing waaay too much smoke up its ass.

Shawshank
Scarface
Gladiator
Wedding Crashers
Inception
Joe Burrow can't even look at your awful take.

bh187-home-alone.gif

Reactions: christophero
Picking newer films as overrated is tricky. While I think Memento is just fine, no one ever talks about it except if you occasionally listen to a nerdy film podcast and they happen to bring it up for five minutes and then move on. So is Memento or Inception actually overrated when no one talks about them?

One I will mention is Avatar. The 3D looked great, but it's a very simplistic story, far too long, and the characters in Pandora really don't look that impressive to me from a creative standpoint. The creatures in Aliens are far more impressive. The world of Avatar looks like a 3D screensaver from the mid-2000s but both films grossed billions which means we're probably getting Avatar movies until 2045. I just don't get the series and Cameron's idea of wanting several of these made for the rest of his life.
I know several teens that really liked it, and that’s really the target audience. It’s hard to get me, a middle aged nearly empty nester to go to a theatre when I would rather see it on Netflix or just read the book. If you can make a visually appealing movie with a decent message, more power to you. I fell asleep watching it on tv but my kids loved it in a theatre.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT