ADVERTISEMENT

ET-over rated movies

Dy4BXzXX4AAZZ5R.jpg

I hate, HATE, HAAAATE 2001: A Space Odyssey. I’ve tried to watch it 3 times and I can’t do it. I get that it broke boundaries in special effects at the time. But no matter how “visually stunning” it was, I just find 6 minutes & 9 camera angles of a guy floating in space to be pretentious and self-indulgent.

I hate, HATE, HAAAATE 2001: A Space Odyssey. I’ve tried to watch it 3 times and I can’t do it. I get that it broke boundaries in special effects at the time. But no matter how “visually stunning” it was, I just find 6 minutes & 9 camera angles of a guy floating in space to be pretentious and self-indulgent.

Funny! I watched for the 1st time 2 weeks ago and it was AWFUL. The heavy breathing was pathetic and they used it to fill time.

Reactions: jrpross
Never saw ET until I was an adult although I was a teen in the 80’s. Didn’t see anything special about it. Maybe I would have enjoyed it when I was younger?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Never saw ET until I was an adult although I was a teen in the 80’s. Didn’t see anything special about it. Maybe I would have enjoyed it when I was younger?

Like most movies, especially kids movies, watching them when you're older for the first time probably won't work.

I didn't get Baby Driver. Not sure what the buzz was about.

I won't go as far as saying John Wick is overrated.. but I left all 3 slightly disappointed. Good, Solid movies. Great and tactical gun play, but it kinda gets old. Plot got wonky, not the greatest bad guys.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music

Clearly you weren't high enough.

Chariots of Fire

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Both really pretty dull

Citizen Kane - OK, but the greatest? Nope. Casablanca >>> Citizen Kane
A lot of Best Picture winners were downright boring - too many to name.
I know this will nullify all future takes but I thought Pulp Fiction was a shit movie. I HATE Tarantino movies: comic book-levels of ridiculously over the top violence, not much/if any plot, just tedious in the extreme. Kill Bill, PF, Django - watched them and quickly forgot them. Just not enjoyable or clever or particularly well-made. I know - I'm wrong but that's my opinion.
All of the Matrix movies were just a metaphysical mess of goofy nihilism and pop psychology. Way overrated.

Citizen Kane - OK, but the greatest? Nope. Casablanca >>> Citizen Kane
A lot of Best Picture winners were downright boring - too many to name.
I know this will nullify all future takes but I thought Pulp Fiction was a shit movie. I HATE Tarantino movies: comic book-levels of ridiculously over the top violence, not much/if any plot, just tedious in the extreme. Kill Bill, PF, Django - watched them and quickly forgot them. Just not enjoyable or clever or particularly well-made. I know - I'm wrong but that's my opinion.
All of the Matrix movies were just a metaphysical mess of goofy nihilism and pop psychology. Way overrated.
I agree with everything there except, I gotta admit, I freakin love The Matrix. Super interesting concept, and I loved the execution of it, although I could see someone feeling like the effects were a bit over the top. The sequels.....eh.... not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT