ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN: "Some, not all, coaches share colleges' burden amid coronavirus pandemic"

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
https://www.espn.com/college-sports...are-colleges-burden-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

Two of the highest-paid coaches -- Calipari and Texas football coach Tom Herman ($6.75 million) -- have not taken cuts even as their universities announced reduced pay for other employees, furloughs or layoffs.

i

Thoughts?

I said previously, just riding what everyone is doing doesn't always mean its the best idea.

Cal always comes up with a plan and executes that. He can do whatever he wants with his money and how he will contribute.

Reactions: Blueaz
I wouldn't have thought about this with this story.

Cal might want to address the optics of it in some way.

that said, I'm sure ESPN is hurting too

might be a good time for writers to take on more burden as well
if dukespn died I wouldn't really care.

time to replace them with a real sports network and lose the social justice woke network.

And notice what field they left blank on the survey for ratface.
They are a private university so don’t have to report it.

Here is a huge difference between big time college basketball and mid major college basketball. I work at Loyola University Maryland, a member of the Patriot League. Every head coach got furloughed for 2 weeks, even the head basketball coach. Can you imagine a coach like Cal being furloughed! Never in a million years.

As for the question, I believe almost all furloughs and pay cuts at UK have been on the medical side. I’m sure there are a number of coaches (including Cal) that have done a lot for their university and are doing things right now.

Reactions: hamidousvertical
They are a private university so don’t have to report it.

Here is a huge difference between big time college basketball and mid major college basketball. I work at Loyola University Maryland, a member of the Patriot League. Every head coach got furloughed for 2 weeks, even the head basketball coach. Can you imagine a coach like Cal being furloughed! Never in a million years.

As for the question, I believe almost all furloughs and pay cuts at UK have been on the medical side. I’m sure there are a number of coaches (including Cal) that have done a lot for their university and are doing things right now.
There’s already a rebottle on the story published. Cal in the UK athletic department take zero

. Look closely at the ESPN article and note the zero to the right of Cal’s name.That means he takes no money from student fees for other university funds. The basketball program indeed the entire University athletic program runs in a profit. In addition to this Cal has raised more money for more charities over the last 10 years than any coach in America.

There’s already a rebottle on the story published. Cal in the UK athletic department take zero

. Look closely at the ESPN article and note the zero to the right of Cal’s name.That means he takes no money from student fees for other university funds. The basketball program indeed the entire University athletic program runs in a profit. In addition to this Cal has raised more money for more charities over the last 10 years than any coach in America.
Yep, I know UK is one of the few schools out there that gets zero money from university funds. It’s something to be very proud of! I also love how the athletic department is paying $65 million towards the $100 million science building. It’s extremely rare for athletics to do both of those things. Something the university should be very proud of!

The optics of it aren't good to those that don't know Cal and what he does on his own. He didn't need a pandemic to give to charity. Take the cut or just donate to UK employees just to kill the story and be done with it. I have a feeling Cal won't miss a couple bucks.

Reactions: ashlandcatfan600
This is the off-season and I doubt Cal gets paid every 2 weeks, maybe I'm wrong. The media stirring up shit as usual.

Reactions: kl40504
Raise your hand if you voluntarily took a pay cut during the Pandemic. (Not me)

But I am blessed to be in the position where I increased my church giving (because it's needed) and privately helped some others. I say that NOT bragging (because to whom much is given, much is required).

I think that describes who Cal is. All the time.

Raise your hand if you voluntarily took a pay cut during the Pandemic. (Not me)

But I am blessed to be in the position where I increased my church giving (because it's needed) and privately helped some others. I say that NOT bragging (because to whom much is given, much is required).

I think that describes who Cal is. All the time.
I took a pay cut alright, just not voluntary. It was shoved down my throat.

Reactions: uky8unc5
The optics of it aren't good to those that don't know Cal and what he does on his own. He didn't need a pandemic to give to charity. Take the cut or just donate to UK employees just to kill the story and be done with it. I have a feeling Cal won't miss a couple bucks.

You would actually give your money away every time someone made a wrong assumption about you? A fool and his money are soon parted...

Reactions: kl40504
JMI and Nike pay for 90% + of Cal's salary... if he took a paycut... it would literally only pay 3-4 salaries for employees. Cal is donating and raising more money for people that need money than taking a pay cut would deliver.

Pathetic ass hit piece on Cal. If Cal did take a 100K paycut, 0% chance they'd of praised Cal for doing so..... they'd just figure out another story to bash Cal and UK about.

I wouldn't have thought about this with this story.

Cal might want to address the optics of it in some way.

that said, I'm sure ESPN is hurting too

might be a good time for writers to take on more burden as well
Is Stephan a Smith taking a pay cut?

ESPN is garbage.... I do not care or believe anything they report or say. I dismiss it right off hand and go about my day not caring at all.

If from a financial standpoint the University or Athletic Dept need Cal to take a pay cut, I’m sure he will.
If Eli says from a PR standpoint, we need you to take a pay cut, I’m sure he will also.
Cal is very good with keeping his finger on the pulse of public opinion and doing the right thing.
Not worried at all.

The optics don't mean anything to me because I care less. It only means something to people that want to stir up crap. Those same people are for reparations.

Most of Cal’s salary is actually sponsorships. If the sponsors are still happy and keep paying, what’s he supposed to do exactly?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I was furloughed for 11 weeks which equated to a substantial pay cut. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone else or suggest that anyone do it voluntarily.

Definitely wouldn’t let someone guilt me into giving up some of my money with trillions of dollars floating around and a lack of clarity about where it will all land.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
If you're going to talk the woke, left wing "man of the people" talk, you should probably walk it by giving back a million or so the the sports that will be suffering...or at least to the general scholarship fund.

Reactions: WildcatofNati
Most of Cal’s salary is actually sponsorships. If the sponsors are still happy and keep paying, what’s he supposed to do exactly?

plus, he may make that money, but he’s hardly a selfish mother****er. He donates money to charities and helps raise money all the time.

hopefully someone gets my hidden reference. It may be rather obvious actually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT