ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN/SECN and the SEC

cathouse

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2002
If you have been following conference realignment and TV broadcast rights ( in other words, following the money in sports), and everything that has happened in conference realignment is about $$$$$, then you already know that in the next 2 years, ESPN will own all the broadcast rights to SEC games.

No more Saturday SEC games of the week, SEC championship game, etc. Also, no Fox and no NBC telecast of SEC games.

I think this will result in the SEC falling behind the Big 10 and other conferences.

Last night was a perfect example. If UT-Ball State is the best game ESPN/SECN can broadcast on national TV on opening night of the 2022 FB season, we are doomed for failure, just like about every other sport ESPN has gained total control over.

I, like 99.99% of the other FB fans in America, watched a very competitive and exciting Penn State/Purdue game, or a very exciting Pitt/UWV rivalry game.

Both games went down to the last play, while the UT game was over in 30 seconds, and then the 3 hour SECN slurpfest of all things UT filled the rest of the game time..

The cultures of ESPN and the SEC are as different as Venus and Mars.

I can't wait to hear more arguments between Paul Finebaum and Steven A Smith on SEC football, which neither have a clue about. Ugh!!

I believe ESPN will do irreparable damage to the SEC and the fans of SEC teams over the next decade.

Especially if they continue to feature UT/Ball State games on the biggest night in college FB for the opening of a new season.

Putrid.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
I don't agree with all of your thoughts, but I do think you're on to something.

The BIG made a conscious decision to play conference games on opening weekend and to play on Friday nights. The SEC has gone the opposite direction. Almost all of its games are Saturdays and the rare Thursday game is against a scrub. The BIG will reach a wider audience via FOX, CBS, and NBC. While I don't think it's good for BIG to have ZERO presence on ESPN, I think they will still have better exposure than the SEC. Add to this fact that the BIG has more and better media markets, and the SEC will be perceived as more of a regional league.

I don't agree with all of your thoughts, but I do think you're on to something.

The BIG made a conscious decision to play conference games on opening weekend and to play on Friday nights. The SEC has gone the opposite direction. Almost all of its games are Saturdays and the rare Thursday game is against a scrub. The BIG will reach a wider audience via FOX, CBS, and NBC. While I don't think it's good for BIG to have ZERO presence on ESPN, I think they will still have better exposure than the SEC. Add to this fact that the BIG has more and better media markets, and the SEC will be perceived as more of a regional league.
Yes. I agree. I think the SEC will become less of a national league and more of a regional attraction only.

And ultimately, that will hurt all sports in the SEC.

Sanky needs to fix this. Less exposure means less revenue. If Sanky doesn't fix this soon the BIG will have a tremendous revenue advantage. I think the SEC is going to have to add teams and go to a 10 game conference schedule in order to keep up with the BIG.

Cathouse, you are spot on about the SEC opening up with a blowout game on opening night.

By the way, the CFP is supposed to have a unanimous vote today for a 12 team playoff today.

For anyone interested, there's a great article in the Athletic (link below) detailing the network battles going on between the SEC and the B1G, including some of the key events that led us to where we are. Bottom line, the B1G (which has always earned more revenue and distributed more dollars to member schools than the SEC) will increase it's revenue margin over the SEC, to some degree. How the SEC counters and how big an impact it will ultimately have, are the big questions.

SEC vs. Big Ten enters new chapter of TV deals

Reactions: cathouse
It was a big move for the Big 10 but it's still a 2 team league.

SEC will no doubt have to do something a little different, but winning titles is what SEC does in football. 3 in a row currently and only Clemson has prevented more the last 6-8 years.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT