ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Ombudsman: Deal with it

UKUGA

All-American
Jan 26, 2007
Washington metro
http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/831/not-sticking-to-sports-the-right-move-for-espn

He basically writes a piece defending a bunch of stuff they do.

Way to "listen" to your critics.

"Whether or not you’re on board with the heavy focus on culture and politics, The Undefeated’s body of work is impressive."

Is that really the ombudsman's job? To tell us they are impressive? How is that defined, exactly?

Among those satisfied with The Undefeated is one very important client -- Skipper, who, when asked about the site’s progress, said he is “very happy. We have seen remarkable growth in the first 10 months.”

As long as Skipper likes it.

"The expansion beyond FiveThirtyEight’s core of sports and politics doesn’t take away from the strong work it still does on both fronts. On Sept. 15, David Wasserman wrote a piece explaining how Donald Trump could win the White House while losing the popular vote, which is, of course, exactly what happened. During primary season, Clare Malone wrote a terrific piece titled “Why Donald Trump?” that used data and strong reporting to explain what seemed unexplainable -- then and now -- to many voters."

Hey, the stats geeks could do basic math. They knew what the electoral college was. Congrats.
Did he bother to reference the piece where Nate Silver talked about how unlikely that was? Where he discussed that generally, the popular vote would rise with the candidate who began plucking enough states to take the elector college. Whither 2000?

Clare Malone's piece was "terrific", declares the impartial ombudsman.

"But it’s outside of sports and politics where FiveThirtyEight hopes to expand most aggressively. On the science front, the site has examined tornadoes, space sex, gender and math, wildfires and more."

The Worldwide Leader in . . . "space sex"?

"Like all sites that attempted to project the results of the 2016 presidential election, FiveThirtyEight was subject to strong criticism after Nov. 8, since, on that morning, it had given Trump only a 29 percent chance of winning the election. Although that was more of a chance than any other highly cited forecast gave him, it was indisputably south of 50 percent."

"FiveThirtyEight’s Micah Cohen says the site got more right in the election than it got credit for. “We basically said that Trump had a real shot at winning and that he would overperform in the Electoral College,” he said. “It’s always touchy because I’m sympathetic to people who only looked at the forecast. But if you read our coverage, I think we got the election right.”

That said, Cohen has heard the criticism and understands it. “We do take that seriously. There’s a lot of research that shows people don’t see probabilities well,” he said. “We are thinking about -- and will continue to think about -- how we can present forecasts so that 70 percent isn’t perceived as the same as 99 percent.”

Condescending much?

So, our forecast showed Trump with a better shot than most forecasts did, and even though we panned him at every turn in our chitty-chats, we deserve credit for manipulating our polls less-downward than our friends at CNN.

"Its Grantland site, despite strong content, a deeply loyal fan base and a considerable investment from ESPN, closed in 2015 after, as one ESPN source told me, never coming close to making a profit."

"The Undefeated has followed loosely the same formula as Grantland. It has amassed immense journalistic talent and been aggressive in its embrace of new storytelling forms."

Except, Grantland was good. How exactly does a website calculate profitability, when links from one site (ESPN) will take you to articles on another (Grantland)?

Are we really supposed to believe that the Undefeated is reaching a broader audience?

Anyway.

Yeah, they really know what they are doing. That is why they are having to cut hundreds of jobs, and they are in trouble, financially. I can see where they wouldn't want to listen to their subscribers.

Games, highlights, scores and a few back stories here and there on players' lives mixed with some interesting 30 for 30's. That is fairly inexpensive to produce and a hell of a lot more entertaining than the garbage they show now.

In the last five or so years I've really tuned out espn, outside of UK games. I've gotten to the point I'll mute whatever pregame they have going on, and usually change the channel come halftime or walk out the room to avoid listening to their "experts."

This is coming from someone who use to watch a ton of espn. It's not even the political stuff for me, it's just I don't care for the vast majority of people they want to put on my screen. Too many of these types think they're bigger than the actual games.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/831/not-sticking-to-sports-the-right-move-for-espn

He basically writes a piece defending a bunch of stuff they do.

Way to "listen" to your critics.

"Whether or not you’re on board with the heavy focus on culture and politics, The Undefeated’s body of work is impressive."

Is that really the ombudsman's job? To tell us they are impressive? How is that defined, exactly?

Among those satisfied with The Undefeated is one very important client -- Skipper, who, when asked about the site’s progress, said he is “very happy. We have seen remarkable growth in the first 10 months.”

As long as Skipper likes it.

"The expansion beyond FiveThirtyEight’s core of sports and politics doesn’t take away from the strong work it still does on both fronts. On Sept. 15, David Wasserman wrote a piece explaining how Donald Trump could win the White House while losing the popular vote, which is, of course, exactly what happened. During primary season, Clare Malone wrote a terrific piece titled “Why Donald Trump?” that used data and strong reporting to explain what seemed unexplainable -- then and now -- to many voters."

Hey, the stats geeks could do basic math. They knew what the electoral college was. Congrats.
Did he bother to reference the piece where Nate Silver talked about how unlikely that was? Where he discussed that generally, the popular vote would rise with the candidate who began plucking enough states to take the elector college. Whither 2000?

Clare Malone's piece was "terrific", declares the impartial ombudsman.

"But it’s outside of sports and politics where FiveThirtyEight hopes to expand most aggressively. On the science front, the site has examined tornadoes, space sex, gender and math, wildfires and more."

The Worldwide Leader in . . . "space sex"?

"Like all sites that attempted to project the results of the 2016 presidential election, FiveThirtyEight was subject to strong criticism after Nov. 8, since, on that morning, it had given Trump only a 29 percent chance of winning the election. Although that was more of a chance than any other highly cited forecast gave him, it was indisputably south of 50 percent."

"FiveThirtyEight’s Micah Cohen says the site got more right in the election than it got credit for. “We basically said that Trump had a real shot at winning and that he would overperform in the Electoral College,” he said. “It’s always touchy because I’m sympathetic to people who only looked at the forecast. But if you read our coverage, I think we got the election right.”

That said, Cohen has heard the criticism and understands it. “We do take that seriously. There’s a lot of research that shows people don’t see probabilities well,” he said. “We are thinking about -- and will continue to think about -- how we can present forecasts so that 70 percent isn’t perceived as the same as 99 percent.”

Condescending much?

So, our forecast showed Trump with a better shot than most forecasts did, and even though we panned him at every turn in our chitty-chats, we deserve credit for manipulating our polls less-downward than our friends at CNN.

"Its Grantland site, despite strong content, a deeply loyal fan base and a considerable investment from ESPN, closed in 2015 after, as one ESPN source told me, never coming close to making a profit."

"The Undefeated has followed loosely the same formula as Grantland. It has amassed immense journalistic talent and been aggressive in its embrace of new storytelling forms."

Except, Grantland was good. How exactly does a website calculate profitability, when links from one site (ESPN) will take you to articles on another (Grantland)?

Are we really supposed to believe that the Undefeated is reaching a broader audience?

Anyway.
Keep telling yourself that chief. [roll] Espn will be a waste land in 5 years.

Reactions: Chase4UK
Keep running the company like assholes and keep losing money. Works for me. Unless UK is playing, I give those people no attention.

I use to love watching sportscenter but like you I only turn on ESPN when there is a UK game on or any other game/sporting event of interest. I bet it has been 15 years or longer since I tuned in to watch sportscenter or any of their shows.

I use to love watching sportscenter but like you I only turn on ESPN when there is a UK game on or any other game/sporting event of interest. I bet it has been 15 years or longer since I tuned in to watch sportscenter or any of their shows.
Getting up on Saturday mornings to watch SportsCenter was my favorite thing to do when I was a kid. Fast forward 12 - 15 years, you can't pay me to watch that crap.

they got greedy and overexpanded their sphere/brand with unnecessary relocations, and other ventures like their magazine, credit cards, extra channels, and productions. sportscenter and airing/contracts is why they got big. there was and is a market for it. when they cornered a piece of it and became "the world wide leader" it went to their head. cutting overhead is a bit ridiculous when they have 7 channels. they need to downsize their product not their help. if any venture proved worthwhile it is their columns/writing. not saying it's great, but acknowledged and effective media.

And they can "deal with it" when they are non existent and fold. Also, when you have people lecturing you 24/7 it's tiresome and a response like this is why many don't give two ***** about their "talent" getting fired, and mock who and what they've decided to push forward representing their brand.

All those clowns and left wingers on from 5 till 7 PM are the ones that they should have fired first. But why am I surprised, oh answered my own question. And even SportsCenter has become unbearable to watch. Just watch the college games and that's it.

Nonsense. Everything is fine at ESPN. Their political commentary is just what the people need. ESPN knows what is good for us, right? I mean, look at this example. Where would I be without ESPN providing this crucial content to me?

ESPN yanks poem honoring cop-killer Assata Shakur

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...s-poem-honoring-cop-killer-assata-shakur.html

I would actually watch ESPN again if they brought back the old school sports center crammed full of highlights and statistics.
Even the obscure sports shows were far more entertaining than the talking heads they have on now.

I would love to turn on the TV and get cricket rather than having to stream it. India is so far ahead in time zones the games are on during the morning rush at work so I can't watch. You can't watch good stuff like that or Australian Rules Football.

They're on the right side of history and the right-hand side of the ledger. Imagine how virtuous they will be when they're begging for Paypal donations.

Reactions: bluinbville
The 30 for 30 series and the amazing OJ documentary is proof ESPN can evolve if they would just be more creative about their programming.

Reactions: Cawood86
When they stopped reporting exclusively about sports and began attempting to insert their political views, their purpose and function as a business became devalued. If they had been sharper managers, they would have been more in tune with their viewers and recognized that their agenda and the perspectives of some of their sportscasters did not jive with their primary constituency.

ESPN is a victim of their own prideful arrogance, especially by making the key assumption that their viewers would simply swallow all of the rhetoric that they were espousing as part of the "sports narrative." I don't believe they will change direction because the leadership is more committed to an agenda than to reporting the news. Jmo

I'll start taking the 'Undefeated' seriously when it does an in-depth feature on how the UNC-Cheats bogus AF-AM program cheated scores of black athletes out of an education.

Until then, they are cowards working in John Skipper's factory and following orders from the boss man about what is really news.

People say they don't want to hear "politics" on whatever (sports shows, cooking shows, etc.). I think what people today don't want is to hear differing opinions. They certainly don't want to hear any facts supporting an opinion - even if it's the opinion they have latched onto (I say "latched onto" cause they sure as hell didn't arrive at through thoughtful contemplation). Actually, people do not want to hear facts - period. They think of themselves as being on a political team, and they espouse whatever opinion their team put out their. Loyal to the core. Like sheep to the slaughter. Then they claim others are the ignorant ones with "agendas"; and use labels to cover up their own ignorance and avoid having to explain why their opinion is justified. And nobody today is about to listen to, and certainly not contemplate, any opposing view. 24 hour news, social media, the internet - and I think we're more ignorant as a nation and world than anytime in the last 100 years.

We use to get 20 minutes of news each evening. That seemed to generally be enough to educate us about the facts. Now we have competing "news" channels regurgitating and spewing stuff 24 hours a day. The news is no longer the news, its entertainment by opinion cheerleaders. Seems to me we might as well get it from ESPN as anywhere else. At least cheerleaders started out as a sports thing.

Reactions: oceanna
Look no further than this very board for evidence of how a majority of sports fans like to leave politics at the door when it comes to the court or playing field. Anytime anyone injects politics into a thread, it spirals out of control pretty quickly. Full disclosure, I'm guilty of doing just that and I consider myself to be well versed in politics. BUT, 90% of the time when sports is involved I prefer to turn off that part of my brain that thinks politically.
I'd guess a vast majority of sports fans are exactly the same way. Something ESPN seems hell-bent on ignoring.

Clearly ESPN took all of your criticism and decided to double down on their non-white personalities and will continue to be a liberal left organization. If anything, ESPN is now telling their personalities to be free to state their political leanings....SC6, SAS, Pablo, Bomani, etc...

If you don't want to watch, change the channel...that is essentially what ESPN has said.

They need to get a bunch of unique and entertains personalities and talk wider variety of things. There are too many places to get your sports news to get by on just doing that.

To any employees at eSpN that weren't "Let Go" peeking in to our site...GOOD Luck...
0013.gif

Reactions: Jazzycat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT