ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN: Its Pope

I tried to hint in the zagoria thread that this was unfolding. Sorry folks, as I know y’all are not enthused. I actually think it will be a very successful hire.
The guy has no recruiting connections. There is no structure and a guy to never win an NCAA game would be asked to build the program from scratch. That’s called set up to fail.

This is the most Mitch thing ever.

I hope it works because I like Mark Pope. But this is a poor gamble even if it magically works out.

So let me get this straight. Nobody proven wanted to come here that wasn’t a freaking geezer. You take a flyer on Pope, who has huge upside, and if it doesn’t work out, you cut bait after a couple years and go another direction. Doesn’t sound like such a huge risk to me. Again I reiterate, NOBODY PROVEN WANTED TO COME HERE.

Also Dan Hurley was like 150-105 when he got to UConn. Pope is currently like 110-50. Eerily similar winning percentages. Worked out pretty well for them.

So let me get this straight. Nobody proven wanted to come here that wasn’t a freaking geezer. You take a flyer on Pope, who has huge upside, and if it doesn’t work out, you cut bait after a couple years and go another direction. Again I reiterate, NOBODY PROVEN WANTED TO COME HERE.

Also Dan Hurley was like 150-105 when he got to UConn. Pope is currently like 110-50. Eerily similar winning percentages. Worked out pretty well for them.
Unless I hear Golden said no, it’s inexcusable

So let me get this straight. Nobody proven wanted to come here that wasn’t a freaking geezer. You take a flyer on Pope, who has huge upside, and if it doesn’t work out, you cut bait after a couple years and go another direction. Doesn’t sound like such a huge risk to me. Again I reiterate, NOBODY PROVEN WANTED TO COME HERE.

He wouldn't have been considered if he didn't play here. Pathetic hire.

He better shock the world because fans are gonna be after him right away because most of us know it was the wrong hire.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
If it is indeed Pope, I'll get behind him and give him the chance while rooting my lungs out for him. A UK player having success as a coach at UK would be a dream come true .

Please I just ask, you dont have to be excited if this is true but dont trash a former UK player. this isnt a Kenny Payne type head coaching situation, Pope did really well in the Big 12 this year ... If we melt down and salt the earth, we'll have no chance... lets give the guy 2 years and see what happens.

And also lets hope this is a smokescreen.... but if its not Pope... love ya man lets all die trying to get shit right.

200w.gif

I Made a mistake Mitch giving you the benefit of doubt with Calipari. Thanks Mitch, You truly succeeded! Absolute JOKE!!!

He wouldn't have been considered if he didn't play here. Pathetic hire.

He better shock the world because fans are gonna be after him right away because most of us know it was the wrong hire.

And if he does “shock the world” ? Will you admit that you don’t (and didn’t) know shit? I doubt it.

Barnhart shit the bed on this hire. Pope is the best we could do....he will fail and we will be looking again in 2 years....without Barnfart

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
In
Poor hire. He should be on the hot seat day 1. No offense but this smells like BCG all over again.
In fairness, you are still smelling BCG's gin. Mark doesn't drink...
I sure wish Pearl was sweating up our sideline instead.

Just wanted to repeat this: NOBODY PROVEN WANTED TO COME HERE.

Read the comments already. Listen to yourselves. Be a wee bit self-reflective. Why might some coaches not want to come here?

• Haha
Reactions: catben
It’s obviously personal opinion, but I think he runs good stuff and knows the Kentucky culture. I think he will do really well. I hope the fans give him a fair chance.
He is wicked smart, that is always a nice tool to have in the box.

I like his stuff too, it is more just needing more time to develop and grow.
I was calling for pairing him with an oldster like Pitino or Pearl as our HC in waiting type.

Reactions: bubba_bomb
What a past few days. If this ends up being true, I don’t know. If Donovan was not actually pursued, that’s terrible. I’ll support Pope and hope it works out, but he isn’t going have a long leash with many.

Better load up with a good staff and hope these nil talks are true.

I would bet part of this is that Mitch and UK staff got tired of not being able to get the proven coaches they wanted to for TWENTY years now... and figure to try their hand at going for a younger name and land UKs next coach for a long time.

Hopefully the boosters are behind this and we can get NIL back going. Will be interesting to see what he can do now that he's not handcuffed to a place like BYU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT