ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Article on UK's Draft Prospects

Did you just say those guys were well prepared for the NBA because of Cal’s offensive sets?
No, I accurately quoted Pat Riley who is among many who have said Kentucky players come into the NBA better prepared than others. It's all right there in my post for those who can read.

Reactions: wcc31
No, I accurately quoted Pat Riley who is among many who have said Kentucky players come into the NBA better prepared than others. It's all right there in my post for those who can read.
well that's the goal isn't it?

well that's the goal isn't it?
The tweet in the OP quoted an "expert" saying Kentucky's system and offense doesn't prepare players for the NBA. I cited Pat Riley's observations and other evidence that refutes that claim. It isn't more complicated than that. Not sure why that is hard to understand.

Reactions: EastCoastYoungCat
My main take from the tweet has nothing to do with Boston. The first thing that jumped out to me was the guy's characterization of Cal's offense as "archaic." His roster as "poorly constructed."

That's pretty harsh indictment on your coaching ability, to have NBA executives think your offense is "archaic."
Many many on this board have been saying the exact same thing for a long while.

Reactions: catben and rockout1
I’ve never read an article that I agree & disagreed with so much.
Highly Agree: The offense that Cal runs is archaic especially when you compare it to what the NBA does with shooters spreading the floor.

Highly Disagree: I don’t think the offense has held Boston back. When you can’t make shots or finish at the rim I’m not sure what offense is going to help that. Cal continues to give him every chance in the world to succeed...at this point it’s on him.

If Cal doesn’t change his offense and quick it’s going to be widely used against him in recruiting. You can point to all the NBA players from UK all you want but the truth is most don’t truly excel until they get into the NBA.

Reactions: catben
The tweet in the OP quoted an "expert" saying Kentucky's system and offense doesn't prepare players for the NBA. I cited Pat Riley's observations and other evidence that refutes that claim. It isn't more complicated than that. Not sure why that is hard to understand.
His offense is archaic, there is no denying that compared to what the NBA runs. That being said I do think he does a good job preparing kids for the NBA off the court and individual development. He certainly gives his 5 stars an abundance of playing time and freedom to miss shots and make mistakes.

31 Kentucky players on opening day NBA rosters played under the same system. People like Pat Riley and many others have praised to the skies the preparation of Kentucky players coming into the NBA. Players like Tyler Herro and Devin Booker and many others have far outpaced expectations coming into the NBA very recently. Kentucky players, all but one Cal recruits, obliterated the NBA Finals record for points by players from a college program THREE MONTHS AGO..but NOW Cal's system and offense is inhibiting BJ Boston's draft prospects?

LOL. It's okay to express an opinion. But when a basic review of the facts renders your opinion idiotic, it is time to change it.
You think Cal runs a modern offense?

Cal does a great job getting most guys mentally and physically ready for the rigors of the NBA as well as a team/unselfish mindset. I think that is what Riley refers to. But also to me the top guys the past 3-4 years just aren't as bought in to their one year of CBB as 10 years or so ago.

You think Cal runs a modern offense?
I'm not expert enough to say, if by "modern" offense you mean NBA offenses in vogue today. That's why my response didn't stray close to that. But it's faulty logic to say that "Cal's offense is hurting BJ Boston's draft prospects." How do we know it's faulty logic? The very recent statements to the contrary by top experts like Riley who say Kentucky players are MORE prepared than others, and the success of Kentucky players on entering the NBA, which proves they are prepared. That's all I said in my post.

Poor baby , that NBA exec done went and said something bad about Daddy Cal... I jest .. its so funny. If you dont think our offense sucks bad ass I dont even want to discuss with you .
ManitouDan, my question is (not to you in particular, but to anybody) why does it suck? I get that as a fan we don't have to know why things aren't going the way we want or think they should. Fans want to win, and if the team is not winning enough, then all fans should be expected to say is that something needs to be changed and it's on the coaches to figure it out.

But I would be interested to hear specifically what fellow posters think is wrong with the offense. Personally, I suspect the offensive system is not the real underlying problem, and doubt that it's that different from what's being employed at most every other top college basketball program. My belief is that the biggest issue is, and always has been, overreliance on freshmen - who, as a general and relative proposition, can't shoot and are not efficient at running any offensive system because of the lack of experience and comfortableness with the college game. Of course, if I'm right that doesn't let Calipari off the hook, because roster construction is his responsibility. Again, just curious to hear some good discussion on this, not start an argument.

Reactions: Kubballfan
Interesting that Kentucky’s “archaic offense” presented no challenge to Dontaie Allen, Devin Askew, Immanuel Quickley, Tyler Herro, PJ Washington, Nate Sestina, Wenyen Gabriel, Derek Willis, Tyler Ulis, Jamal Murray, Malik Monk, and Devin Booker.

Wonder why.

This is absolutely a shot from CAA and co who no doubt have close ties to Boston via LeBron and Leon Rose (now with the Knicks, formerly with CAA).

It's complete nonsense for the reasons you listed. Ky is the best by far at showcasing and developing talent. It isn't even close. If anything, UK runs the closest thing to an nba type offense of anyone in college imo

One part of the article was right, his lack of physical strength. I think a few more pounds on him would go a long way with him.

Interesting that Kentucky’s “archaic offense” presented no challenge to Dontaie Allen, Devin Askew, Immanuel Quickley, Tyler Herro, PJ Washington, Nate Sestina, Wenyen Gabriel, Derek Willis, Tyler Ulis, Jamal Murray, Malik Monk, and Devin Booker.

Wonder why.
there is a lot of great athletes who are not good basketball players.
comes down to something called skills.
and that requires development through hard work

Reactions: G-PIP
This is absolutely a shot from CAA and co who no doubt have close ties to Boston via LeBron and Leon Rose (now with the Knicks, formerly with CAA).

It's complete nonsense for the reasons you listed. Ky is the best by far at showcasing and developing talent. It isn't even close. If anything, UK runs the closest thing to an nba type offense of anyone in college imo
I mean, no we don't. The NBA is 3 pointer first, we are the opposite. Maybe you could say that 10 years ago, but now no.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I mean, no we don't. The NBA is 3 pointer first, we are the opposite. Maybe you could say that 10 years ago, but now no.

Guys like Tyler and IQ flourish because they came to uk. The list is a mile long. If Boston can't flourish, it's on him.

I think he will soon. He's now just starting to give in to the process. Cal has to completely tear down high school mentality, before he can rebuild you. I just hope Boston continues to give in and absorb

It's amazing how Cal fans believe that Cal is the reason why UK kids are showing out in the NBA.

Most of those dudes were damn good before they came to UK, struggled while at UK, then exploded when they got to the NBA. Booker, Bam, Herro, even Wenyen.

These players are playing and working out with NBA veterans and being coached by NBA coaches in free flowing offenses with refs that don't call every touch.

Anyone that thinks Cal's offense isn't outdated simply doesn't know or understand what they are looking at. It's awful and everyone that comes here struggles with it. Ulis, Fox, Murray, Wall and a few others were able to figure it out, but it takes legit transcendent players to consistently beat their man off the bounce, then beat whatever help defenders are coming. It's all iso and it requires great players to make it work.

He's been trying to get Jackson to beat his man from 15' out on the baseline. Like what? Cousins would struggle with that. Cal ran that play on 5 straight possessions, then another two later on. He needs help. Maybe enough people will get in his ear and he'll do something about it.

Having said all that, Cal's offense isn't what's causing Boston to struggle. He's missing wide open shots and he's the one that is deciding to settle for jump shots. He has the tools needed to dominate at the rim off the bounce, but he's not doing it, because it's hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
Cal fanboys....

If anyone here thinks AD actually improved his game because of Calipari you’re in a dream state. His game improved and opened up once he left. Same can be said for many players.

Riley is referring to how media savvy and mentally strong players are coming out of Kentucky. Cal does prepare well for the NBA as far as what to expect. His coaching has little to nothing to do with that.

Cal’s offense is laughable, and I only use that word because it is. He has to play a dumbed down style of play that coach K’s secretary could figure out how to stop because he’s got AAU kids out there who don’t have the time to learn anything more complicated. Just getting them into shape takes half the time.

If you’re actually defending Calipari’s system, as far as to support and make excuses for his offense, then you might want to just follow him when he leaves because you’re totally in man crush land. Nobody who has any credibility in this sport would suggest that.

Not trying to be rude or confrontational but what IS Coach Calipari’s offense? I am a Kansas Fan but watch as much UK basketball as I can.

I mean KU has the high low when we have the players (which we currently do not) or lots of ball screens for shooters or slip screens for bigs (again, not so much this year. I honestly think we have less than five successful lobs this season).

UK offense seems a lot like ASU ball. I’m willing to be wrong and again, not trolling. Honestly asking.

Reactions: ManitouDan
ManitouDan, my question is (not to you in particular, but to anybody) why does it suck? I get that as a fan we don't have to know why things aren't going the way we want or think they should. Fans want to win, and if the team is not winning enough, then all fans should be expected to say is that something needs to be changed and it's on the coaches to figure it out.

But I would be interested to hear specifically what fellow posters think is wrong with the offense. Personally, I suspect the offensive system is not the real underlying problem, and doubt that it's that different from what's being employed at most every other top college basketball program. My belief is that the biggest issue is, and always has been, overreliance on freshmen - who, as a general and relative proposition, can't shoot and are not efficient at running any offensive system because of the lack of experience and comfortableness with the college game. Of course, if I'm right that doesn't let Calipari off the hook, because roster construction is his responsibility. Again, just curious to hear some good discussion on this, not start an argument.

not enough overall player or ball movement. Over reliance on ” be better than your man “ ie one on one .. the sets we do run are rarely aimed at freeing a three point shooter - most of looks come off drives and collapses .. no OOBs plays . The entire thing is entirely simplistic . Pick n roll .. pick n pop .. weave . Not much screening away from the ball at all. How many lobs for dunks we had this year ...? And lastly and very much most importantly , the deeper the tourney goes , the tighter the reigns of running and three pt shooting . And the slower rate of play .

Reactions: G-PIP
Not trying to be rude or confrontational but what IS Coach Calipari’s offense? I am a Kansas Fan but watch as much UK basketball as I can.

I mean KU has the high low when we have the players (which we currently do not) or lots of ball screens for shooters or slip screens for bigs (again, not so much this year. I honestly think we have less than five successful lobs this season).

UK offense seems a lot like ASU ball. I’m willing to be wrong and again, not trolling. Honestly asking.
It's all iso with some screen and roll and bigs trying to score via back to the basket.
It requires a pg that can beat his man off the bounce and score or feed the post.

There aren't many high screens for shooters.

When I watch teams like KU and duke play, I am jealous at the offense I see. The 3 ball is used often and well. I wish we did that. Honestly, I don't understand how both those programs don't win more titles.

The good thing about Cals offense holding players back is they get drafted later in the draft, but usually to a contender. Use Herro to Miami as an example. The Bad news is it cost Tyler some money and Kentucky Fans getting to see a player at his best and possibly some wins.

This will likely cause Boston to play even more erratic and prone to force the issue even more so than he has been.

I’ll try to point out a little of what I understand – although I’m just going on what I have seen and read, not pretending to be a guru:

At UK Calipari has always used some sort of motion offense. He has utilized different sets and actions – and even different principles of motion – over the years. The dribble-drive motion he used more early at UK is a guard-oriented 4-out offense that features spreading the floor and dribble-penetration to the rim for lay-ups or kick-out 3-point shots. Without a couple of good shooters this one has to rely heavily on the PGs ability to get into the lane.

Like the NBA, Calipari apparently wants to create mismatches, and they will move the ball until someone can attack. The primary goal is a lay-up or getting fouled, or if it’s a miss the Bigs come in and try to dunk the miss. He has ran what some coaches call a “1-4 flat,” where the two Bigs come up to the elbow extended on each side of the lane, and the guards cross to catch the ball. Then the Big on the strong side drops to post on the block and – if you have a Bam or Karl Towns or Julius Randle - opponents have to double down on the block to keep the Big from scoring, then the Big throws the ball back out after the double down.

I think Calipari is now using a lot more ball screens (and ghost screens) and cutting, while still trying to drive to varying degree based on personnel. To me it looks like he has always relied more on movement than spacing or even passing – and the movement is more localized on one side of the floor between two players (the ole 2-man game), rather than from side-to-side.

By contrast, what we just saw with Vanderbilt is all stationary spacing and passing with very little movement except the person with the ball drives it with the primary intent to get defenders collapsing so they can kick it out more so than even getting the lay-up. While Bill Self reportedly runs a 3-out-2-in motion offense with a heavy reliance on high/low sets - but you would know that better than me.

On the other hand, Steve Kerr (Golden State), Popovich (Spurs), and Jay Wright (Villanova) all use the same basic offense as Calipari – although better, more experienced personnel will certainly make a difference. The Spurs add more backscreens, but Golden State uses less sets and actions than anybody, and Villanova doesn’t screen or drive as much.

Yeah, right!🙄 The offense and roster explains 36% overall and 15% from 3.
Lack of strength, is the ball too heavy for him to shoot.

i truly believe that Boston is having problems with the mental part of the game and see that players that he is playing against now are just as fast or just as good or better than he is. Everyone is not the same so maybe it is going to take him a little longer to adjust to college game.
And this is the problem with kids who “have” to be OAD. He’s putting so much pressure on himself to be great and show what he can do and it’s affecting his confidence and his mentality towards the team aspects of the game.

I think Boston will be fine. Seems like the coaching staff is giving him some bench time to get him refocused. I actually think he has shown some flashes of his potential the past couple games. Not where he needs to be by any means but the potential is definitely there. If he ultimately needs another year nothing wrong with that, a sophomore Boston would be awesome and likely a top 5 draft pick.
I think he declared the other night after the first possession going 1 on 4 when his shot from under the goal ended up closer to the PA than the rim. I thought that took balls and was creative.

When a coach says he doesn’t run a play for a 3 point shot then yes his offense is archaic. Those are Cals words. Can we at least agree that Cals baseline out of bounds plays are archaic?

He doesn't have an offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT