ADVERTISEMENT

Engineered Bamboo Floors

natron20

Junior
Oct 11, 2006
Curious if anyone has any experience with these in their home. I am buying a home that is currently being renovated down to the studs and trying to educate myself as much as possible. I read reviews talking about their issues with moisture but when I read about hardwood floors in general that is a potential issue with them all.

I've seen them and pretty sure I have two family member using them.... They can be of different color and mimic other woods ( or be hard to tell that it's bamboo). I personally haven't used them but they are aplenty... My guess is (the case in many building products) you get what you pay for...
One had professional installation and the other was DIY.... One thing I really like about them is the finish.... The engineered product can withstand sctratches very well (like pooch or your wife's fingernails)......... What's she doing down there BTW?

Reactions: homeytheclown
We built recently and installed bamboo pretty much throughout our first floor. We've been in for about 1.5 years now and I think they have held up pretty well...We have a 4 year old and a 60 lb bulldog who have yet to put any scratches on them. Supposedly they are harder than regular hardwood floors.

Been researching the stuff for 2 weeks now , I'm doing a new construction and its time to pick out the floors . Got 2 real expert opinions . The opinions vary some but the gist of bamboo floors is this : It is an extremely hard surface , the primary makers of bamboo carried by Lowes and others is Cali brand , they encourage the employees to bring their dogs to work to prove bamboo wont scratch . That seems to be their big marketing thing .. a floor dogs wont scratch up . Bamboo has a hardness rating of 4000-5600 or so .. Oak has a rating of 1800 or so . But we had a bamboo sample setting around that my lab pup got a hold of , he dented it all over . Here is the biggie for me , both the expert floor guys I spoke to said attempting to nail it is flat out dangerous and horrible to work with , it bends EVERYTHING , one guy said after two nails in the gun ended up in his beard he quit trying , the other guy said he took a job to install it , hes a real pro , does floors and floors only for a living , he said it took double the amount of time because it kept tearing up nail gun . So you can do a floating floor , un nailed I guess . But its hard to lay in general . One of the guys says he loves his after it was down . Has a rather unique look to it , a " love it or hate it " look .

Been researching the stuff for 2 weeks now , I'm doing a new construction and its time to pick out the floors . Got 2 real expert opinions . The opinions vary some but the gist of bamboo floors is this : It is an extremely hard surface , the primary makers of bamboo carried by Lowes and others is Cali brand , they encourage the employees to bring their dogs to work to prove bamboo wont scratch . That seems to be their big marketing thing .. a floor dogs wont scratch up . Bamboo has a hardness rating of 4000-5600 or so .. Oak has a rating of 1800 or so . But we had a bamboo sample setting around that my lab pup got a hold of , he dented it all over . Here is the biggie for me , both the expert floor guys I spoke to said attempting to nail it is flat out dangerous and horrible to work with , it bends EVERYTHING , one guy said after two nails in the gun ended up in his beard he quit trying , the other guy said he took a job to install it , hes a real pro , does floors and floors only for a living , he said it took double the amount of time because it kept tearing up nail gun . So you can do a floating floor , un nailed I guess . But its hard to lay in general . One of the guys says he loves his after it was down . Has a rather unique look to it , a " love it or hate it " look .
Heard the same thing about a lot of the “exotic” woods from our installer. He said he didn’t like working with them for that reason. Expect to pay more for the install.

Appreciate the info. The information I had been reading online gave me the impression that if I didn't monitor my humidity in the house on a daily basis the things would start to warp pretty fast. Seems to me if I keep the inside of my house at a comfortable temperature, and I don't have a problem with water getting into the basement or leaks then it should be fine.

I will ask another question here, just to get some other perspectives. This home has the original hardwood floors, narrow plank oak. The floors are in a position where they could be refinished in almost the entire house with the exception of the kitchen. When you walk in the front door its possible to see through the entire house. I'm afraid it will drive me absolutely nuts if I can see one kind of floor for 2/3rds of the house then a different floor for the back 1/3rd. I've tried to look for images of floor transitions, but nothing I see looks very good. So, what would you do? Refinish the original hardwood or replace with the bamboo from front to back?

I have no idea. I would assume 3/4 inch based on my recollection from my last walk through. What is the impact of the width of the boards? Sorry, I am absolutely clueless about every bit of this stuff.

Most common surface width is 3 1/4 . The thickness of the floor is usually 3/4 . Usually the wider the more $$ . And engineered Bamboo will not warp unless its been really wet .

Appreciate all the suggestions. The house is in Danville. I will try to get an idea of the thickness of the board next time I stop by. I was initially wanting to keep the floors then I changed my mind because of my OCD about the floor differences, but now I feel like I’m back to keeping them. I just gotta decide how to do this kitchen floor so it compliments the existing hardwood. ‍♂️

I wouldn't have wood or bamboo in a kitchen anyway. Check out porcelain tiles. They can last a long time, are perfect for kitchens and there is a crazy amount of designs available.

Reactions: robo222
-you won't have moisture problems with hard wood unless you don't have a/c in a house.

- refinish, can be done much cheaper, and look brand new

- put the same flooring in the kitchen that is throughout the house. You have to go to a specialty store,( like Lanhams flooring in Louisville) take a piece of your existing flooring. From your description it sounds like 3 1/4 inch oak or fur. They will match it with your existing flooring, and then it all gets sanded and stained together.

Last edited:
Dang, I’ll have to check and see if it is possible to match from a sample. That would be perfect. I hope the cost is comparable to new hardwood and not stupid expensive.

Wood floors in the kitchen is definitely attractive. Hopefully you never have your ice maker or dishwasher have a major leak. I like some sort of tile then you also don’t have to try to match the hardwood.

If you are worried about water damage to the kitchen floor, have them turn the wood a different direction at a reasonable transition point.

If you do have a leak and need a refinish job, then you have a stopping point that any good hardwood floor guy can finish too.

Icemaker leaks, sink overflows, and dishwasher leaks can all ruin a tile floor too. If tile is laid over wood subfloor, the water can get to the subfloor or between the durock.

I used cork in my kitchen:

Renewable resource
Acoustic
Soft on feet as I like to cook
Anti microbial
Soft for drops...
Great for high traffic.

Had solid wood floors in my last home (on a crawl) and they started warping so I had to get a de-humidifier installed in the crawlspace to get the moisture out. They ended up straightening out and looked fine. However, they scratched too easily and I was always fearful when moving anything that they would scratch. We are getting ready to build a new home and am thinking of going with the engineered wood (not bamboo). From I have been told and read, they do not scratch as easy, hold up much better to moisture (we will have a basement so not too concerned about that) and can be sanded several more times that solid wood can.

If anyone has some experiences between the two would be interested in your thoughts.

No way that engineered can be sanded more than hardwood ..... Engineered is basically wood veneer glued over solid plywood. Its far far far thinner ( on the sandable surface) than hardwood . All this hard wood talk reminds of me Joe Biden's famous (intentional) gaffe while observing HIGH SCHOOL cheerleaders and I quote " The stuff they do on hard wood , it blows my mind"

Engineered hard wood looks great , gets great reviews , is indistinguishable from solid hard , but it cost about the same as solid hard wood . I think its a big profit product since its contains far less solid wood than the other . I think we are going to go all bamboo in the downstairs part of our home .. I think .. lol

The engineered floors look great but when they get wet the plywood substrate breaks down, swells up, and just goes to hell. I have twice installed vynil planking. 100% water proof. Comes in different finishes. I prefer the thickest I can get. (They come in different thicknesses.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT