ADVERTISEMENT

Emotional Support Animals

Aug 31, 2014
Don't know that I'd call him an emotional support animal, but my 20 lb mutt sure makes me feel better sometimes. The couch belongs to him, and he has a little bed at the foot of our bed. I take him on a 3-5 mile walk every day unless the weather is bad. I even take him out with me to the store or do other errands sometimes. That said, his ass is always in the truck, and never in the stores. I don't understand the need some people have to include their dog in every single aspect of their lives.

Delta is cracking down on letting people's Emo support animals on the plane.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/delta-...policy-change-service-animals-dogs-incidents/

About time IMO, trained animals for truly disabled should able to be in the cabin and other public places like a grocery store. Keep your damn peeing, pooping, yappie Yorkie Emo support Pet out the meat department.
I wonder if these same folks have a handicap plate on their car....
I don't know how one gets their pet "service" status but it's probably as easy as getting a plate allowing a good parking spot...

I don't know how one gets their pet "service" status but it's probably as easy as getting a plate allowing a good parking spot...
All you do is go online pay like $20 and print it off. In the Keys, people take their dogs everywhere. Grocery, bars, restaurants, Home Depot, etc. I don’t mind except for the bars. If your dog barks at all, keep that thing at home.

I'm all for people bringing cats and dogs and pork belly pigs into wherever. Hell, dogs are awesome. So much more than humans. I see a dog at the grocery store, that increases the enjoyment of that trip 10%. And knowing it pisses off some tight ass in the store tacks on another 10%.

Reactions: CatCall and rudd1
I work at hospital in CA (the dumbass state that treats dogs better than they do their own children) and its becoming a major issue with everyone bringing their dog inside healthcare facilities claiming they are service dogs when they are not. I guess you can buy the vests online and what not.

Technically a service dog has to provide a "service" for their owner that they have been trained to do, whether it be medical, etc and said service should be labeled on the dog and should also have documentation. You can ask the individual what service has your dog been trained to provide for you?

Anything else is just a regular dog and needs to stay the eff outside.

DEFINITION OF A SERVICE ANIMAL
Q1. What is a service animal?

A. Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person's disability.

Q2. What does "do work or perform tasks" mean?

A. The dog must be trained to take a specific action when needed to assist the person with a disability. For example, a person with diabetes may have a dog that is trained to alert him when his blood sugar reaches high or low levels. A person with depression may have a dog that is trained to remind her to take her medication. Or, a person who has epilepsy may have a dog that is trained to detect the onset of a seizure and then help the person remain safe during the seizure.

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?
A
. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

Q4. If someone's dog calms them when having an anxiety attack, does this qualify it as a service animal?

A. It depends. The ADA makes a distinction between psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. If the dog has been trained to sense that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog's mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

Q5. Does the ADA require service animals to be professionally trained?

A. No. People with disabilities have the right to train the dog themselves and are not required to use a professional service dog training program.

Q6. Are service-animals-in-training considered service animals under the ADA?
A
. No. Under the ADA, the dog must already be trained before it can be taken into public places. However, some State or local laws cover animals that are still in training.

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

Q8. Do service animals have to wear a vest or patch or special harness identifying them as service animals?

A. No. The ADA does not require service animals to wear a vest, ID tag, or specific harness.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Reactions: BeaveUKGT
My favorite bar in Louisville promotes itself as being dog friendly and there is usually someone with their dog in there and for the most part I don't care. The problem is that they also allow kids and it's going to be the thing that puts them out of business. Some idiot is going to take their dog there and some kid is going to get bitten by the thing and they'll get sued into the stone ages over it. Most people's dogs are okay in situations like that but a lot are scared out of their mind being around that many people.

Per the Americans with Disabilities Act there is no certification for a service animal.
I'm a special ed teacher and this is the key reason almost no service animal is allowed in the school system. Animals can be too unpredictable to have in some areas imo.

My g/f works at a local community college. They recently had a student who brought a comfort animal with him to class to help ease his anxiety.

The comfort animal was a tarantula.

I'm guessing it gave more anxiety to other students than it did with helping his.

I’m gonna get Norman a vest so he can go everywhere with me. He’s a border collie- lab mix. Very popular with the ladies.

So according to the laws above the following must be true ...

Your disability is you can't get laid.
Your dog must assist you in getting laid
by alerting you to to the presence of, or bringing to you, women who are willing to have sex with you.

Sounds legit.

Bar where I live got sued because a patron tripped over the dog and fell. Got a decent chunk too. Now quite a few other bars have stopped allowing them too because of that incident.

What's bs is the stupid people and their fake service dogs. Real service dogs are heroes, not commonly seen, cost a lot of money/training, and are easy to spot against the fake service animals. They ignore everything but their owner, and are always working. It's pretty amazing.

And the only ones I've ever seen in action are labs/golden/sheppards. I've seen blind people with them the most. Then wheelchair people.

Sorry, I disagree. It seems we still can't acknowledge that mental illness is truly an illness just like a physical disease. I don't know how many people here have had the spirals. Where your mind just goes into a dark and negative place and you can't get out. Mine was supplement induced, but it took a while to get out of, and maybe says I have some underlying things I should work on..

But it was the worst feeling in the world. I'd take any physical pain over that. You don't understand if you haven't been through it. It's indescribable.

But I agree that these people need to be conscious of others. Maybe dogs give someone else anxiety. And yes, they could be hazards.

My favorite bar in Louisville promotes itself as being dog friendly and there is usually someone with their dog in there and for the most part I don't care. The problem is that they also allow kids and it's going to be the thing that puts them out of business. Some idiot is going to take their dog there and some kid is going to get bitten by the thing and they'll get sued into the stone ages over it. Most people's dogs are okay in situations like that but a lot are scared out of their mind being around that many people.

What bar is that, Glen?

Honestly have no sympathy for the "my life sucks and has no meaning" people. If it's actually a mental issue stay in a hospital or a place where you can receive help.

Reactions: entropy13
As a landlord, even if you don't allow pets and someone gets accepted into your unit and then discloses that they have a service animal, you have to lease to them. You can also be sued for questioning them about the animal. We had some annoying hussy pull this on us a few years ago. Didn't matter that people in our building were allergic to dogs. Its the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

If you're blind, epileptic, in a wheelchair, etc.. Then you have my full backing. If you have an emotional support animal you are a worthless moron that should go play in traffic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT