ADVERTISEMENT

Elite PG visit next week??

Didn't realize they were visiting me.... must of missed the call.

Crazy how word gets around

Reactions: MO_Blue
Hawkins is a good player. Elite is a stretch. If Cats get him-hope he plays so well I'm on here eating crow but seeing him all year--would've kept looking and maybe they have and just don't like what they are hearing. He's short like Wheeler but quicker and tougher both in mindset and as a player. Then again a teenage girl who can decide which outfit to wear is tougher than Wheeler mentally.

Based on zero footage, total Rafters BS, I'd take Hawkins just as soon as Daivon Smith just based on the stat sheet. Probably even take him first.

They're both right under 6 feet, they're both assist machines, but smith is a 60% ft shooter and was at 25% on threes every year until last (where his % was unusually high), whereas Hawkins is an 80% ft shooter who was a little above and a little below 40% 3 point shooting the last 2 years.

He does turn it over a little more than Smith, though, and Smith is a great rebounding guard.

Hawkins is a good player. Elite is a stretch. If Cats get him-hope he plays so well I'm on here eating crow but seeing him all year--would've kept looking and maybe they have and just don't like what they are hearing. He's short like Wheeler but quicker and tougher both in mindset and as a player. Then again a teenage girl who can decide which outfit to wear is tougher than Wheeler mentally.
Don’t leave out the 3 pt % when comparing wheeler and Hawkins.

Shoots it way better than wheeler.

Don’t leave out the 3 pt % when comparing wheeler and Hawkins.

Shoots it way better than wheeler.
Right. Picks spots. You don't have to sell me on talking honestly about Wheeler. I've yet to even address his lack of professionalism and dietary choices in disrespecting his teammates/coaches . He's about as "ME" as it gets. One of those guys who always had an excuse and claimed he didn't eat/drink poorly. The air doesn't have calories--so something was going down to make him gain bad weight during the season.

I’d say Hawkins is definitely the next best PG available if we can’t make Deivon Smith happen.
Def sounds like the transcript issues are real if we are onto Hawkins and got Butler to commit.

I’m sure we will be hearing that the smith visit is cancelled but as of now it’s still on.

Based on zero footage, total Rafters BS, I'd take Hawkins just as soon as Daivon Smith just based on the stat sheet. Probably even take him first.

They're both right under 6 feet, they're both assist machines, but smith is a 60% ft shooter and was at 25% on threes every year until last (where his % was unusually high), whereas Hawkins is an 80% ft shooter who was a little above and a little below 40% 3 point shooting the last 2 years.

He does turn it over a little more than Smith, though, and Smith is a great rebounding guard.
Hawkins is closer to 5'9 then 6'0. He's a guy who will look All Conference for spurts/Half of a game and then disappears. Smith is a better player. But we know his situation is he's having admissions issues so you have to move on and this is why you cast a large net.

For UK's sake, hope someone else enters the Portal before May 1st.

Hawkins is closer to 5'9 then 6'0. He's a guy who will look All Conference for spurts/Half of a game and then disappears. Smith is a better player. But we know his situation is he's having admissions issues so you have to move on and this is why you cast a large net.

For UK's sake, hope someone else enters the Portal before May 1st.
So from your description, it sounds like Hawkins would be on the low end of effort given for what Pope tolerates. Or is it not an effort thing?

edit: probably not because I've also seen that he has a good defensive rep

Def sounds like the transcript issues are real if we are onto Hawkins and got Butler to commit.

I’m sure we will be hearing that the smith visit is cancelled but as of now it’s still on.
Butler can play and is a winner/part of winning program. To get that alone is invaluable. Biggest weakness of Cal's use of the Portal was bringing in players who have no winning DNA at that position. Wheeler was a loser--played like one when games mattered-be it down stretch or in Postseason. Mintz--Creighton improved upon his departure.

Oscar was a great player for UK as was Reeves. But they didn't win anything either. Hard to convince guys what to do/not do when they've never won anything.

This guy hit a game winning shot in the Final Four. He's coming from a team that is 7-2 in the last two NCAA Tournaments with their 2 losses being to UConn. Won Conference/Conference Tournament Championships. Butler is all about winning.

Smith's a guy I love but he's not done what Butler has as a player in his career.

So from your description, it sounds like Hawkins would be on the low end of effort given for what Pope tolerates. Or is it not an effort thing?
He's a strange player to watch in that he'll come out on fire.....you think he's elite and then you have moments where you wonder WTF is going on. They had several games where they'd be up big and blow the lead--Missouri and Iowa games stand out as they went 0-3 against both teams and were a 19-16 NIT team. He's not a good defensive player on the ball-he'll dig and get a few steals but he gambles.

Our nickname up here was "Draft Kings" because he's going to get his stat and effects winning but for which team in a given Half/Night?

Reactions: Jkwo
He's a strange player to watch in that he'll come out on fire.....you think he's elite and then you have moments where you wonder WTF is going on. They had several games where they'd be up big and blow the lead--Missouri and Iowa games stand out as they went 0-3 against both teams and were a 19-16 NIT team. He's not a good defensive player on the ball-he'll dig and get a few steals but he gambles.

Our nickname up here was "Draft Kings" because he's going to get his stat and effects winning but for which team in a given Half/Night?
Maybe better coaching fixes that??

Everyone is throwing names out there. Now, Hawkins is “elite”..[roll]

Ok, I will play…

We got Pope and Butler, all is missing is a Supreme Cook … he would be in the same elite” category like Hawkins but for different reason, party.

Maybe better coaching fixes that??
It'll be his last dance so he's onto Coach #3 wherever he goes.

I do think Pope being committed to playing faster pace would help a great deal. Minnesota would tend to be a Bipolar team in that they'd be out on fire and running teams off the court and then turn into some grind it out team for some strange reason-which was odd to the players.

They have a well respected former HS coach (Dave Thorson) who is Ben Johnson's former HS coach and many around program think Ben defers to him/his mindset too often and he doesn't care for the aggressive offensive approach.

So that very well could be a case-because Howard was in NCAA Tournament when he played there. So he's won/been part of winning.

I'd give up posting for a year on this site if Cam Christie would enter the Portal. He's younger brother of Max and Hawkins teammate at Minnesota. He'd be #1 player in the Portal upon his entry.

Reactions: BassProCat
Maybe one of the reasons players are a bit hesitant to come here is because of the damn near stalking behavior of some of you on this board. Some of you have allowed your obsession of Kentucky basketball to possibly appear threatening to some of the players. It is certainly understandable why some players would wonder if they are even allowed to take a dump without fans wanting to know and post about it. It is understandable why some coaches and players prefer to avoid this fishbowl if they have similar offers elsewhere that allow them to maintain some semblance of normalcy. NOT A SERMON; JUST A THOUGHT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT