ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards will step it up

Edwards has skills. What he does not have at the moment is a killer instinct. His attitude reminds me of Alex Poythress. UK has had guys in the past who were kind of quiet but would tear your throat out on the court. MKG and Tayshaun Prince come to mind. Edwards needs to play with a chip on his shoulder.

Some freshmen take a little longer to adjust to CBB than others. I'm not worried about Edwards he will be fine.

Reactions: true blue1
You are correct, it will be pretty hard to put up such putrid numbers for the Supposedly #3 NBA pick. Here’s to better days ahead!

DJ and Edwards will be fine, and frankly we have to have them playing and playing well to get anywhere in March. I kept thinking in the last 5 minutes last night, if either one could just make one play, a 3, and drive and 1, put back, anything, we probably win.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
DJ and Edwards will be fine, and frankly we have to have them playing and playing well to get anywhere in March. I kept thinking in the last 5 minutes last night, if either one could just make one play, a 3, and drive and 1, put back, anything, we probably win.

Look, you’re not wrong that we need both these guys to get where we all want to go.

But the fact is, we had a guy sitting on the bench who had ALREADY DEMONSTRATED in the game that he was playing with the confidence needed to get us that bucket. Reed Sheppard had already hit 3 treys and only a moment earlier had blown by his man for an easy layup. Neither of those things were done by Wagner or Edwards all night. By the time Cal put Reed back in the game, it was too late.

I get Cal wanting to show these guys that he believes in them… I really do. But you can’t bench a dude who is balling out and rely on guys that have been ice cold all night to get you that “just one play” that you speak of. That’s just idiocy.

My hunch is that Edwards is not going to be a complete bust like a lot on here are saying because he is capable of shooting well. If he gets that going maybe he'll take advantage and have more success driving to the basket. One can hope!

I'm just really confused about DJ. I do think it's too early to judge, but so far he does little more than bring the ball up the court. He's not a great outside shooter, so it seems logical to me he built his name on driving to the basket. But the part that confuses me is he doesn't show any desire to drive it. Only thing I can think of is he's being coached or taking it upon himself to let the game come to him and be a floor general rather than a scorer.

He hasn’t shown much in any of the exhibition games or regular season. He has disappeared to the point that I forget that he is on the floor.

What skills has he actually DEMONSTRAtED on the court. Poor shooter,,poor rebounder,lacks agression,only average quickness,average handle. Take away the hype and bombast you have heard and pay attention to what you see ,he really looks very average to me.
The athleticism is obvious. It may take him some time to adjust to the step up in competition. Or, maybe the competition is too much for him. I don't think 3 games is a fair enough litmus for Edwards.

The biggest concern in my mind is whether his struggles are "between the ears". Those types of issues are nearly impossible to fix. But, time will tell...and I prefer to let things play out before stamping a player after three games.

Remember he is only a freshman he will step up and show how good he is really is. Only a few games into the season and someone says he is overated.
I agree but you’re wasting your time…just saying. Some people on here are not having it. They want to win and win now. They don’t have time to wait on players to develop and get use to the speed of college ball

My hunch is that Edwards is not going to be a complete bust like a lot on here are saying because he is capable of shooting well. If he gets that going maybe he'll take advantage and have more success driving to the basket. One can hope!

I'm just really confused about DJ. I do think it's too early to judge, but so far he does little more than bring the ball up the court. He's not a great outside shooter, so it seems logical to me he built his name on driving to the basket. But the part that confuses me is he doesn't show any desire to drive it. Only thing I can think of is he's being coached or taking it upon himself to let the game come to him and be a floor general rather than a scorer.
Your last sentence doesn't apply to DJ at all. Did you mean another player?

Your last sentence doesn't apply to DJ at all. Did you mean another player?
I meant DJ. Why doesn't it apply? I thought someone rated as high as him would be a scorer more than a classic PG but it looks to me like he's going for the opposite. Like I said I'm confused. I don't understand what his game is supposed to be, if I'm misperceiving what he's trying to do on the court, both or neither. Help me out here. 🙂

I meant DJ. Why doesn't it apply? I thought someone rated as high as him would be a scorer more than a classic PG but it looks to me like he's going for the opposite. Like I said I'm confused. I don't understand what his game is supposed to be, if I'm misperceiving what he's trying to do on the court, both or neither. Help me out here. 🙂
I'm only saying that the scouting reports weren't lying. I don't care what he wants his role to be.

Remember he is only a freshman he will step up and show how good he is really is. Only a few games into the season and someone says he is overated.
Agreed. College is a big adjustment. I was a thumb-sucking adolescent when I arrived at UK but left a man in full. Give him time.

Edwards has skills. What he does not have at the moment is a killer instinct. His attitude reminds me of Alex Poythress. UK has had guys in the past who were kind of quiet but would tear your throat out on the court. MKG and Tayshaun Prince come to mind. Edwards needs to play with a chip on his shoulder.
Edwards did play tentative and shied away from physical contact at times. Seemed like he was afraid of getting hurt or something. Hopefully, given more time to acclimate to the college game Edwards will realize he can't take his foot off the gas against top competition. Aka...killer instinct like you mentioned.

Yeah. He will step it up against Stonehill.

But in all likelihood will be exposed again by the mid-majors. I mean any coach who actually watches film (pretty much everybody except Cal), is going to tell the dudes guarding him to simply be physical.

His greatest issue is that he is soft and lacks both lower and upper body strength.

Edwards did play tentative and shied away from physical contact at times. Seemed like he was afraid of getting hurt or something. Hopefully, given more time to acclimate to the college game Edwards will realize he can't take his foot off the gas against top competition. Aka...killer instinct like you mentioned.
He isn’t strong, like Thiero. He can’t absorb contact and play through it, like Thiero. He’s not aggressive nor strong with the ball, like Thiero. Someone mentioned that he should be going up against Thiero in practice day in and day out rather than playing alongside him. I agree, but I think there’s a reason Cal is not doing it - Edwards will realize just how soft he is.

Reactions: RunninRichie
He isn’t strong, like Thiero. He can’t absorb contact and play through it, like Thiero. He’s not aggressive nor strong with the ball, like Thiero. Someone mentioned that he should be going up against Thiero in practice day in and day out rather than playing alongside him. I agree, but I think there’s a reason Cal is not doing it - Edwards will realize just how soft he is.
Thiero is a stud

The best we can hope for is a couple of good games here and there. Hopefully one comes in the tourney. He’s not that good and won’t be at the next level either. He’s not very athletic, plays passively, but has a decent looking shot. Maybe he’ll hit a few.

The Poythress comparison seems good. Minus the strength.

Reactions: CROCAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT