ADVERTISEMENT

Dwayne Casey Vindicated After All These Years

What that package did was expose more of what was going on 'allegedly' around the program:
- the pawn shop / Shawn Kemp
- Eric Manual who totally lost any chance at redemption.

Too much has been written about this and never did it make sense to me someone would mail cash like that to a recruit family member.
Reputation tarnished for a while, but Casey has come out on the better side. President Roselle IMO had nothing and wanted to completely dismantle the basketball program. Sutton adamantly said he wasn't going to resign and then does a 180. What did he get to walk away unscathed? We know, at that time, if you were part of a coaching staff, the entire staff took the fall. Sutton didn't.
Not really Eddie went to rehab and had emotional scars the rest of his life

Dwayne Casey UK Asst Coach who was made the scapegoat for the Emery Envelope Scandal by Ex UK President Donald Roselle
On September 7 2021 Casey will be inducted into Kentucky Athletics Hall of Fame (not UK)
This is a statewide organization
Casey has had a stellar NBA career but he always felt the Emery issue marred his career
Casey sure Emery for slander and won a settlement of $7,000,000 without a trial A great person and fine Coach I am so happy
For for Dwayne and his family
Congratulations ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™
As I have said many times before, I seriously doubt Casey was ever guilty of committing any violations. UCLA wanted the player Casey was recruiting (MacLean), and eventually succeeded in getting him out of Simi Valley. Freight packages containing only a letter and a video tape do not break open on their own. Someone intentionally broke that package. It happened at an Emery facility in California. Anyone (especially a UCLA booster) could have busted open the freight package and stuck money into it. Following the NCAA allegations, Casey took and passed a lie detector test. MacLean signed with UCLA and had a great career. Casey was set up and scapegoated. Probably so weak, straightlaced UK Prez David Rozelle would have an excuse to fire Cliff Hagan and Eddie Sutton. And out of all former UK basketball players not named Joe Hall, Casey has become the most successful coach.

Congrats to Dwane Casey!

113954-2056782136Fr.jpg

It was Emery, but I know what you mean. No way it "popped" open in the hands of an Emery employee who happened to be a huge UCLA fan/booster. Nobody is naive enough to think payments weren't happening in basketball, but they weren't happening like that.
It was before my time, but I always thought that it was an obvious setup and am a little shocked anyone fell for it.

As I have said many times before, I seriously doubt Casey was ever guilty of committing any violations. UCLA wanted the player Casey was recruiting (MacLean), and eventually succeeded in getting him out of Simi Valley. Freight packages containing only a letter and a video tape do not break open on their own. Someone intentionally broke that package. It happened at an Emery facility in California. Anyone (especially a UCLA booster) could have busted open the freight package and stuck money into it. Following the NCAA allegations, Casey took and passed a lie detector test. MacLean signed with UCLA and had a great career. Casey was set up and scapegoated. Probably so weak, straightlaced UK Prez David Rozelle would have an excuse to fire Cliff Hagan and Eddie Sutton. And out of all former UK basketball players not named Joe Hall, Casey has become the most successful coach.
Nailed it

Jim Harrick was UCLA's coach at the time this happened and UK was successful in recruiting Chris Mills & almost got Don MacLean to come to UK, Harrick & UCLA boosters weren't happy about UK recruiting players in their back yard & set UK up, I'll believe that till I die, Even if UK was paying Chris Mills they wouldn't put money in a package addressed to his father with UK's address all over the package they would have used a booster to have given him the money & not mailed it, Harrick was a dirty piece of shit.

It's ashamed Eric Manuel was banned from NCAA Basketball for life all because his answers on his SAT test were the same or similar to Sean Sutton's. while dUKe's Corey Maggette received cash from Myron Piggie but played in the 1999 final four without being ruled ineligible or duke having to forfeit the runner up spot. It would have been great to have seen the team Sutton was building get to play it would have been awesome, Rex Chapman, Eric Manuel, Chris Mills, Shawn Kemp, LeRon Ellis, Derrick Miller, Reggie Hanson, Feldhaus, Farmer, Pelphrey, Woods. but, we wouldn't have the unforgetables if Sutton's career didn't implode here during the 89' season. Those were 3 exciting seasons 90,91 & 92, never saw a harder working group of guys.

Jim Harrick was UCLA's coach at the time this happened and UK was successful in recruiting Chris Mills & almost got Don MacLean to come to UK, Harrick & UCLA boosters weren't happy about UK recruiting players in their back yard & set UK up, I'll believe that till I die, Even if UK was paying Chris Mills they wouldn't put money in a package addressed to his father with UK's address all over the package they would have used a booster to have given him the money & not mailed it, Harrick was a dirty piece of shit.

Just for the record, UCLA was technically between coaches at the time of the package being found. The package was found in the Emery facility March 31, 1988. The day before, Walt Hazzard had been fired from UCLA after a 16-14 season. UCLA didn't hire Jim Harrick until 12 days later.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Iโ€™d like to clear some confusion up on this matter. The package was to include a VHS cassette of Mills playing in a series of games. Thatโ€™s all that was intended to be in the package until it passed thru the hands of one of our boosters who just happened to be visiting Coach Sutton

. He took it upon himself to slip the $1000 cash into the envelope before it got sealed and sent for delivery. I know the guy. Heโ€™s not associated with the program anymore and hasnโ€™t been since this incident. Heโ€™s an older gentleman now, in his 80โ€™s. Close friend of my mom & was very close personal friends with Sutton up til his passing. Nowโ€ฆ. How it fell open once it arrived in LA is still a mystery. You guys are right, itโ€™s sealed shut and could only have been opened by breaking the seal and pulling the little plastic string.

The lawsuit and subsequent settlement actually put the company out of business. David Roselle was a coward in how he handled the whole situation. He wanted no part of it and despised sports in general. Does everybody remember the package โ€œfallingโ€ open and the cash spilling out? Sure. Do they remember the lawsuit and itโ€™s findings which exonerated Casey? No. Didnโ€™t fit their narrative.

Roselle let Casey and Eric Manuel take the fall for things completely out of their control. Casey was able to sue and get his vindication. Eric Manuel, IMO owes a big middle finger ๐Ÿ–• to UK and itโ€™s administration for what they did to him.

Iโ€™d like to clear some confusion up on this matter. The package was to include a VHS cassette of Mills playing in a series of games. Thatโ€™s all that was intended to be in the package until it passed thru the hands of one of our boosters who just happened to be visiting Coach Sutton

. He took it upon himself to slip the $1000 cash into the envelope before it got sealed and sent for delivery. I know the guy. Heโ€™s not associated with the program anymore and hasnโ€™t been since this incident. Heโ€™s an older gentleman now, in his 80โ€™s. Close friend of my mom & was very close personal friends with Sutton up til his passing. Nowโ€ฆ. How it fell open once it arrived in LA is still a mystery. You guys are right, itโ€™s sealed shut and could only have been opened by breaking the seal and pulling the little plastic string.

The lawsuit and subsequent settlement actually put the company out of business. David Roselle was a coward in how he handled the whole situation. He wanted no part of it and despised sports in general. Does everybody remember the package โ€œfallingโ€ open and the cash spilling out? Sure. Do they remember the lawsuit and itโ€™s findings which exonerated Casey? No. Didnโ€™t fit their narrative.

Roselle let Casey and Eric Manuel take the fall for things completely out of their control. Casey was able to sue and get his vindication. Eric Manuel, IMO owes a big middle finger ๐Ÿ–• to UK and itโ€™s administration for what they did to him.
Interesting story. Know no one. My theory all along was that someone at UK knew there was money in the pkg and tipped someone off. All to get rid of Sutton and his drinking

Last edited:
i thought Casey was vindicated when he won that big law suit, and sent Emery company into bankruptcy. How that resulted in Kentucky being put on probation for that considering how everything went down I will never understand even if I live to be 100. That should have resulted in the first law suit against the ncaa. They should have brought ucla and sam gilbert facts into court with them. The facts about gilbert and ucla were well known at this time. There is no way Kentucky could have lost this suit, and the ncaa would have had to explain why nothing was done to wooden and they wanted to ruin Eddie Sutton. If nothing else it could have shown clear discrimination. It would have been a no win situation for the ncaa.

i thought Casey was vindicated when he won that big law suit, and sent Emery company into bankruptcy. How that resulted in Kentucky being put on probation for that considering how everything went down I will never understand even if I live to be 100. That should have resulted in the first law suit against the ncaa. They should have brought ucla and sam gilbert facts into court with them. The facts about gilbert and ucla were well known at this time. There is no way Kentucky could have lost this suit, and the ncaa would have had to explain why nothing was done to wooden and they wanted to ruin Eddie Sutton. If nothing else it could have shown clear discrimination. It would have been a no win situation for the ncaa.
All valid points except UK had a wimp for a President & he pretty much bent over and let the Nc2a abuse every orifice in his body. Bittersweet though, the teams from 1990-2000 were the best of my lifetime and the most exciting time in Kentucky basketball. Nobody f.cked with us.

Weโ€™re thinking of the same person. Word is he threatened to sue the Herald Leader if they named him.

Reactions: calismyhero
Weโ€™re thinking of the same person. Word is he threatened to sue the Herald Leader if they named him.
Really? I hadnโ€™t heard that. He and Eddie shared a few tendencyโ€™sโ€ฆโ€ฆ.that must not have come up in the coaching searchโ€ฆ

The envelope was in the hands of basketball
Intern Laurenetta McDowell before Emery picked it up it was common knowledge that the Webb Brothers Don and Dudley great friends with Sutton frequenters of the basketball office may have put the cash in the envelope

The envelope was in the hands of basketball
Intern Laurenetta McDowell before Emery picked it up it was common knowledge that the Webb Brothers Don and Dudley great friends with Sutton frequenters of the basketball office may have put the cash in the envelope
None of those names are the culprit. It was private sector

Itโ€™s not clear to me that Casey got 7 million dollars from Emery. Thatโ€™s what he sued for and they settled out of court, typically in that situation you get less than you asked for.

I hope he did get every dime of it. Not that he needed it apparently with his successful coaching career.

Reactions: LASTUKMGR69

I had never heard that before until today when reading this, and I've gone back to the book written on this incident, "Raw Recruits". The discussion on how this blew up probably would have never happened had Claud MIlls (Chris Mill's dad) not made it a major issue. He phoned Emery to let them know it wasn't his money and he didn't want it and Emery had that policy of not shipping cash in their packages so they couldn't help to return it.
It was stated that 'sometimes' the glue doesn't stick and the package was found open. But there was a hole in the package, not a unsealed tab.

Once word got around the Emery facility, and a brother in law of one of the package handlers worked for the LA Daily Times. That's all it took for this to make national news.
Chris Mills ended up signing for the package when it was being delivered for a 2nd time and Casey first denied he sent any package. That only raised the questions as the LADT went right to UK to get a response.

Well, we all know who took the fall for this, and there were no friends of the program going to help UK out of this one.

Did this case take down Emery as we knew it? I know they paid a heavy price for this.

Reactions: LASTUKMGR69
I had never heard that before until today when reading this, and I've gone back to the book written on this incident, "Raw Recruits". The discussion on how this blew up probably would have never happened had Claud MIlls (Chris Mill's dad) not made it a major issue. He phoned Emery to let them know it wasn't his money and he didn't want it and Emery had that policy of not shipping cash in their packages so they couldn't help to return it.
It was stated that 'sometimes' the glue doesn't stick and the package was found open. But there was a hole in the package, not a unsealed tab.

Once word got around the Emery facility, and a brother in law of one of the package handlers worked for the LA Daily Times. That's all it took for this to make national news.
Chris Mills ended up signing for the package when it was being delivered for a 2nd time and Casey first denied he sent any package. That only raised the questions as the LADT went right to UK to get a response.

Well, we all know who took the fall for this, and there were no friends of the program going to help UK out of this one.

Did this case take down Emery as we knew it? I know they paid a heavy price for this.
Emery Air took bankruptcy about 6 months later

Reactions: KMKAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT