ADVERTISEMENT

Duke and UNC hire from within.

They were assistants for the previous coach. Pope hasn't had anything to do with UK in 30 years. It's not the same type of transition.

Both of their new head coaches were on the championship teams as assistants. Pope has not been on any successful staff.

They were assistants for the previous coach. Pope hasn't had anything to do with UK in 30 years. It's not the same type of transition.

Both of their new head coaches were on the championship teams as assistants. Pope has not been on any successful staff.
If you can coach, you can coach. The rest will work itself out.

Reactions: dl51344
They are hailed when they do it. Scheyer and Hubert Davis have less coaching experience than Pope.
The hired guys who were mentored by hofers as coaches. The time UNC hired Matt Doherty is more in line with what we just did. Unproven coach not a program hand off

Exactly right….there were “continuity” hires to keep the already established program structure and culture running in place. Starting from scratch and building something entirely new is wayyyyyyyy harder.

Apples and oranges. They both had strategic successions and hired within. They don’t lose a recruit in the process. Peaceful handoff

Pope hasn’t been here since the 90s. We have no roster.

They’re not even close to the same thing and it’s laughable that so many are reaching for this in defense of the hire.

But what’s done is done, and now it’s time to start building the roster.

Reactions: Kantucke
I think we all agreed the Cal was going to be a messy divorce
I really wanted to see how he performed this upcoming year. He was going to be coaching for his job and he knew it. I didn’t not want him crawling away like a thief in the night. It got ugly

Scheyer and Davis both inherited talented rosters and are currently riding the wave.

This is almost a complete tear down and rebuild.

Reactions: Kantucke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT