ADVERTISEMENT

Dontaie Allen CUSA player of the week

Allen is exactly where he should of been. He's like half the player Willis was when he was here.

But he has never been the only one with that problem. Just the one that received the most punishment for it
That's just how it works with role players. Your leash is shorter because there's more people who can replace you. It's not an indictment on a player, that's literally how it works everywhere.

It's one of the reasons the Bryce Hopkins article recently was a bit ridiculous. He's the best player on Providence, of course he's going to get the luxury of playing through mistakes. Who has a longer leash, Oscar or Ware? The better you are the longer your leash.

Reactions: Zissou87
Tonight, Cal didn't have enough good sense to try to run plays for Reeves his best scorer. Why not run some double screens for Reeves and why not give Adou some minutes in place of CJ? CJ did absolutely nothing tonight and yet Cal kept sending him out there. The one player on the court who could possibly be a difficult matchup for them was Toppin, but Cal decided tonight was the night to get into Toppin's head. IT IS SIMPLY TIME FOR CAL TO GO. It is amazing that we are this late into the season and a third year player in Oscar still can't defend a simple screen and roll.

Last edited:
Toppin is by far the most athletic player on the court when Collins isn't there and yet you would never know it. If Toppin played for Arkansas, he would have been indefensible. I feel the same way about Collins. It is simply incredible to see Cal do so little with so much talent.

Last edited:
Topping is by far the most athletic player on the court when Collins isn't there and yet you would never know it. If Toppin played for Arkansas, he would have been indefensible. I feel the same way about Collins. If is simply incredible to see Cal do so little with so much talent.
i question the talent. I dont think we have top 25 caliber athletes. AND Cal has to have superior talent.

Recruiting that kind of talent has us where we are now.
DAs problems were Calipari, just like many others who have transferred out and excelled under different coaches. Allen is a pure shooter and was always a great shooter but once Cal works his poison, they're finished. "That kind of talent" is exactly what UK lacks now and being from Kentucky, DA had Blue in his blood. You don't want worthy Kentucky kids playing against you with other teams. Chris Lofton is a perfect example and there are many others. UK's problem remains the same ... it's Calipari and he is poison for this Program and these players.

• Love
Reactions: westerncat
I always thought Allen's issues were primarily mental. He's a streaky shooter because of that. When he's on, he can beat you. When he's off, he can get you beat. If he could shake off early misses, he would likely warm up in every game.
yeah but everyone has some mental hurdles until they get confidence and as a result - comfortable. Until then you never know what you really have. All before that is point is not the real story. Some folks just never get the right conditions to build that confidence and reach that comfort level. Sometimes that the coaching, team make up etc, sometimes its on the player themselves to overcome that. I think in Dontaie's case he needed a new setting.

Last edited:
DAs problems were Calipari, just like many others who have transferred out and excelled under different coaches. Allen is a pure shooter and was always a great shooter but once Cal works his poison, they're finished. "That kind of talent" is exactly what UK lacks now and being from Kentucky, DA had Blue in his blood. You don't want worthy Kentucky kids playing against you with other teams. Chris Lofton is a perfect example and there are many others. UK's problem remains the same ... it's Calipari and he is poison for this Program and these players.
not an SEC athlete.

• Haha
Well … I was hopeful that would work out but obviously it didn’t so I’m just glad he’s doing well. If you follow my posts you know that I double despise Triple C.
I know you do and we agree on Cal. I just think if Allen had a different coach here we would have likely seen a different player. But ... we'll never know unfortunately. Under the circumstances, I hope he excels at Western, especially because he's a Kentucky kid that wanted to play at UK, but because we have a Carpetbagging Clown Coach (another appropriate acronym), DA didn't really have a chance to work through the difficulties, while giving Cal every opportunity to destroy his confidence.

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
not an SEC athlete.
... were all of Cals transfers from second and third tier conferences "SEC athletes". DA was never expected to be the alpha dog to lead UK to titles. He is a shooter and as such could be the perfect substitute to spell the starters while still providing a scoring punch. I recall Cameron Mills on the 98 team. Using your definition of SEC athlete, Mills wasn't that caliber of athlete either ... even less than DA, but he had a lethal shooting touch. In fact, in the crunch, during that Utah game NCAA Final it was Mills (not the SEC athlete) that provided crucial and critical timely buckets that broke Utah's back in that game. I was actually watching that game with a room full of Utah fans and after several key buckets from Mills, the Utah fans were screaming wanting to know, "Who TF is that kid that's killing us". He was a Kentucky kid with a shooting touch that had the confidence to enter a high-level game and deliver and yes ... Mills was not an "SEC athlete", using your definition. He was playing meaningful minutes because Tubby is simply a better coach than a SAT Calipari. Your characterization of DA was short and simple but just doesn't mean much b/c in my mind ... just wrong b/c being an athlete isn't necessarily what will win games but a specific skill set will win those games. I wouldn't consider Larry Bird anything other than "average" regarding athleticism but is still and probably will forever be the GOAT.

I always thought Allen's issues were primarily mental. He's a streaky shooter because of that. When he's on, he can beat you. When he's off, he can get you beat. If he could shake off early misses, he would likely warm up in every game.
Had his best game ever “after” Cal was tossed.

... were all of Cals transfers from second and third tier conferences "SEC athletes". DA was never expected to be the alpha dog to lead UK to titles. He is a shooter and as such could be the perfect substitute to spell the starters while still providing a scoring punch. I recall Cameron Mills on the 98 team. Using your definition of SEC athlete, Mills wasn't that caliber of athlete either ... even less than DA, but he had a lethal shooting touch. In fact, in the crunch, during that Utah game NCAA Final it was Mills (not the SEC athlete) that provided crucial and critical timely buckets that broke Utah's back in that game. I was actually watching that game with a room full of Utah fans and after several key buckets from Mills, the Utah fans were screaming wanting to know, "Who TF is that kid that's killing us". He was a Kentucky kid with a shooting touch that had the confidence to enter a high-level game and deliver and yes ... Mills was not an "SEC athlete", using your definition. He was playing meaningful minutes because Tubby is simply a better coach than a SAT Calipari. Your characterization of DA was short and simple but just doesn't mean much b/c in my mind ... just wrong b/c being an athlete isn't necessarily what will win games but a specific skill set will win those games. I wouldn't consider Larry Bird anything other than "average" regarding athleticism but is still and probably will forever be the GOAT.
Larry Bird? Really ? Might have picked. 6 billion other people on this planet before I entered his name in a discussion of Allen.

I hope Allen continues to do well at Western. Away from Calipari makes a world of difference. Calipari has his players playing so tight that they cannot enjoy the game.

Reactions: Girthang
Every year there is a great celebration about our great recruiting class just before they are trashed after not being coached well enough to meet expectations. The only constant to each outstanding class and under performance are the head coach and the fans. Since the fans have nothing to do with how the team plays, it has to be the fault of the coach.

His problem never was scoring, like Wheeler, he’s atrocious on defense.
Some teams play a zone defense to help those players who don't have the foot speed to play great man defense. Not Cal! The threes we give up in man defense bother him, but the threes we give up in a zone must count 6 points the way he acts!

Some teams play a zone defense to help those players who don't have the foot speed to play great man defense. Not Cal! The threes we give up in man defense bother him, but the threes we give up in a zone must count 6 points the way he acts!

I agree with you, Cal is trash! Lol

Let me get this straight, every player that ever got acknowledged in the history of college basketball that didn’t play for KY is Cal’s fault.

That’s probably a fireable offense if you can find it in his contract. Otherwise it is a completely asinine subject.
Again you bring such unbelievable insight as to our problems and a potential fix.

how can you breathe being on Cal’s nutsack for so long. Clown you bring nothing of substance other than a keyboard tough guy and yeah I said keyboard tough now back to your basement

yeah but everyone has some mental hurdles until they get confidence and as a result - comfortable. Until then you never know what you really have. All before that is point is not the real story. Some folks just never get the right conditions to build that confidence and reach that comfort level. Sometimes that the coaching, team make up etc, sometimes its on the player themselves to overcome that. I think in Dontaie's case he needed a new setting.
you play for Cal and your a shooter you play tight simple, you know it brother

Wow, apparently if you let a player stay in the game for over 180 seconds, his confidence grows and he becomes productive. Somebody tell Cal.
If anyone ever played high school or college ball, you know the feeling of being afraid to make a mistake due to your coach being quick to yank but allows others to play like morons and get burnt multiple times and commit turnovers without ever seeing the bench.

Reactions: Bluesbrother
If anyone ever played high school or college ball, you know the feeling of being afraid to make a mistake due to your coach being quick to yank but allows others to play like morons and get burnt multiple times and commit turnovers without ever seeing the bench.
I noticed Scott Padgett in your avatar ... another Kentucky kid that I would not consider to be an "SEC athlete" but was a part of the 98 Title team because he could, first and foremost, shoot with consistency and play within the team structure. Padgett could not have succeeded under Calipari, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT