ADVERTISEMENT

Don't Give up so easily....

Jul 7, 2016
I'm sure this won't be a popular post but here goes. Many posters on this message board give up way to easily. How many late comebacks have we had this season? And last season? We are never out of a game. I'm an old dude and fairly new to the message board world but I'm starting to realize it's sometimes a place to spread negativity. These are great kids that are representing UK and they are always doing the best that they can. They're not trying to walk batters, or trying to strike out. They want to win much more than us fans do. We've been ranked no lower than 16th the entire year. How many other teams would like to have our problems? Just my two cents worth. Go Cats!

Well all i ask from Mingione like all other sports...play the best players...give yourself best chance to win...we dont always do that

When has he not? :popcorn:
His one booboo had to be Haake vs Florida. Haake didn't see another appearance in the series, was perfect thru 2 and had a pitch count of 28. Other than that, most everything he has done has a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Yea, I think at times we all have to take deep breaths during the game. Still, I'm also glad that more and more people care and have high expectations of this team and want them to succeed. That's a long way from a decade or so ago.

That is for damn sure. Last few weeks, we are averaging right at 4000 per home game. I can remember when that was a really well attended three game series. A lot of games drew < 1000 when I first started attending.

That is for damn sure. Last few weeks, we are averaging right at 4000 per home game. I can remember when that was a really well attended three game series. A lot of games drew < 1000 when I first started attending.
Would love to see more students there.....unless they are all out on the cliff? Didn't see many at all Saturday or yesterday though could be studying for Finals?

His one booboo had to be Haake vs Florida. Haake didn't see another appearance in the series, was perfect thru 2 and had a pitch count of 28. Other than that, most everything he has done has a perfectly reasonable explanation.

That was certainly a mistake and there have been plenty of those, but I wouldn't classify that as not playing the best players.

I HATE sacrificing in the first two innings especially when it's Squires when Pop gets on. Seems like we have seen that on several occasions this season.

I HATE sacrificing in the first two innings especially when it's Squires when Pop gets on. Seems like we have seen that on several occasions this season.
That's sometimes a feel play for a coach though...go for big inning or scratch an early run across.

Thought Ala(?) was biggest booboo with Haake.

Yep. Ming has made plenty of mistakes. He's certainly not perfect. The aggressiveness is probably too frequent and there have been some weird pitching decisions. Still, those aren't anything like choosing not to play the best players.

I don't mind the early bunt, but with our pitching and hitting it shouldn't be a major part of our offense. Still, to show it from time to time can be helpful.

On one hand Haake really hasn't put in more than 2 good innings all year, and Belanger knew that, and planned to take him out after 2. On the other hand, the guys he put in his place were no better than Haake was at his worst. But based on past performance, Haake probably wouldn't have had a good 3rd inning.

On one hand Haake really hasn't put in more than 2 good innings all year, and Belanger knew that, and planned to take him out after 2. On the other hand, the guys he put in his place were no better than Haake was at his worst. But based on past performance, Haake probably wouldn't have had a good 3rd inning.

Well, to be fair to Haake he did go 7 scoreless while giving up just 1 hit against Alabama before the coaches left him in the the 8th and he gave up a grand slam. While in that game he gave up a lot of walks, he still limited the damage until the 8th.

Yep. Ming has made plenty of mistakes. He's certainly not perfect. The aggressiveness is probably too frequent and there have been some weird pitching decisions. Still, those aren't anything like choosing not to play the best players.

I don't mind the early bunt, but with our pitching and hitting it shouldn't be a major part of our offense. Still, to show it from time to time can be helpful.
Funny haha... was watching the game on Friday and was rasing a little cane when Pop got on and of course Squires was sacrificed to get Pop to second and he didn't advance any further . The lady in front of me was laughing at me. I said im sorry , but that makes me mad when they take the bat out of Troy's hands like because he is too good of a hitter to do that early in the game. She looked at me and smiled and said thank you, we are Troy's parents.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
Well, to be fair to Haake he did go 7 scoreless while giving up just 1 hit against Alabama before the coaches left him in the the 8th and he gave up a grand slam. While in that game he gave up a lot of walks, he still limited the damage until the 8th.
He had 7 very good innings against Ala. I think it was.

I'm sure this won't be a popular post but here goes. Many posters on this message board give up way to easily. How many late comebacks have we had this season? And last season? We are never out of a game. I'm an old dude and fairly new to the message board world but I'm starting to realize it's sometimes a place to spread negativity. These are great kids that are representing UK and they are always doing the best that they can. They're not trying to walk batters, or trying to strike out. They want to win much more than us fans do. We've been ranked no lower than 16th the entire year. How many other teams would like to have our problems? Just my two cents worth. Go Cats!
I see what you are saying, and you are right. But when Minge was asked after the USC series about fans grumbling on radio shows and message boards, he said he was glad that the fans care enough to grumble, that he didn't want to coach where the fans do not care !

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Iv'e also been around awhile. And agree with your post. Now if we can just get a third steady starter! Only gripe I have with coach is his handling of Haake in Alabama.
I'm thinking about driving to Knoxville for this weekend series. Lot depends on son or grandson coming along.
Go Cats!

Funny haha... was watching the game on Friday and was rasing a little cane when Pop got on and of course Squires was sacrificed to get Pop to second and he didn't advance any further . The lady in front of me was laughing at me. I said im sorry , but that makes me mad when they take the bat out of Troy's hands like because he is too good of a hitter to do that early in the game. She looked at me and smiled and said thank you, we are Troy's parents.
What gets lost in modern day baseball is the bunt is still a good percentage play. As good as 16 is, he still gets out 7/10 times. So, I'm never upset with it.

What gets lost in modern day baseball is the bunt is still a good percentage play. As good as 16 is, he still gets out 7/10 times. So, I'm never upset with it.
Don't mind it in mid/late innings just not 1st/2nd . To me it just isn't necessary in early innings and a sacrifice is an out 100℅. Now with one of the guys with a low ba or somebody like that it wouldn't bother me so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: cats1068
I don't think it would be as bad if we knew that 1 run was going to put a lot of pressure on opposing hitters. However, with our pitching one run is basically nothing, and in some ways I understand frustration of wasting outs when we have to score a lot to win many of our games.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I don't think it would be as bad if we knew that 1 run was going to put a lot of pressure on opposing hitters. However, with our pitching one run is basically nothing, and in some ways I understand frustration of wasting outs when we have to score a lot to win many of our games.
Exactly...love Ming, but I don't think this is good strategy at all

With success comes expectations. Even though some games have been frustrating, I have never been this excited about UK baseball as during the last two years. In fact, I have watched more UK games in the last two years than I had my whole life.
My buddy and I went to every game(not just UK)At the regional last year and it was as much fun as any UK fb/bb event I've been to...the storm delayed game that we won the crowd all stayed and we had a blast...the crowd rocked Sweet Caroline. If we host again this year will definitely be back!

It's not his one booboo. He completely blew game 2 against alabama by allowing Haake to stay in after three walks to load the bases and having pitched 115 pitches. we had that game and Ming literally gave it away.

It's not his one booboo. He completely blew game 2 against alabama by allowing Haake to stay in after three walks to load the bases and having pitched 115 pitches. we had that game and Ming literally gave it away.
I was responding to the "play his best players" comment. I think Haake was still available and the best option vs UF inning 3 and possibly beyond. I am not sure who was/was not available from the pen in the Bama game. If MacHamer was available you probably have a point as well.

The A Rod experiment has to be over....no way he can be DH hitting 200
The Kessler kids avg is not good either, but I like the way he battles and I think the hits will come for him. Moving Heyer back to 3rd and Shinn to right looks like it might be a good one. Hopefully with the week off Thompson can get a little more time against the filthy orange. Anybody seen any word on Collett?

The Kessler kids avg is not good either, but I like the way he battles and I think the hits will come for him. Moving Heyer back to 3rd and Shinn to right looks like it might be a good one. Hopefully with the week off Thompson can get a little more time against the filthy orange. Anybody seen any word on Collett?
I agree about Kessler, Slug. He seems to have a good eye for the strike zone and doesn't swing at bad pitches. Also, everything I have seen him hit, he hit it hard. Seems to have good size and power. If he keeps getting at bats, it is just a matter of time before he pops one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT