ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan is probably begging Mitch after experiencing this tonight

Bulls have play in game next week. If they win it could be 2 or 3 weeks before he's available. Can UK afford to wait that long?

They may win the 9/10 game, but I expect them to lose the next one and be done.

Of course, anything could happen. I actually saw the Bulls beat the 76ers in Philly in December.

Billy should offer to pay UK 3mil a year to get him the F out of Chicago.
5d9e6d428a3045256df4aa0cd965c069.jpg

I may be completely wrong but Donovan is below Drew on my list. He’s been away from college and recruiting for a long time and hasn’t dealt with the portal yet. He caught lightning in a bottle at Fla but that was a long time ago. Drew can at least bring recruits and has portal experience. Who knows, Billy D could come back and fire it all up again. Outside of Hurley, there is no home run hire.

Bulls have play in game next week. If they win it could be 2 or 3 weeks before he's available. Can UK afford to wait that long?
I don’t think it would work that way. UK would be able to get a rather good idea now from contact with Donovan’s people if he would want to come when the Bulls’ season ends. And I think Mitch will have done himself and UK a huge disservice if he doesn’t contact Donovan first and offer him the same money he allegedly offered Hurley. Drew is a Tier 2 candidate compared to Donovan and Hurley.

If true and Mitch ignores it, he should be forced out tonight.
Not saying Donovan couldn’t do well, but the guy couldn’t get here until the end of next week (at earliest), has zero recruits and who knows about a staff to bring with him, and may not have any recruiting ties anymore. He was a great college coach but that doesn’t mean a ton if you are reaching for scraps to fill out a roster. None of the incoming freshmen and basically no one playing college bball can remember watching UF win their natty titles.

There’s a good chance BD wouldn’t be the slam-dunk many think he would be.

Alabama brought in 9 new guys last year, mostly from the portal and went to the final four. If Donovan was the guy he could keep a
Couple from our current team plus 2-3 recruits and he would only have to snag 4 quality portal players. It’s not that big of a stretch.

Reactions: wfc7 and MO_Blue
if you look at Donovan's career in college and the pros, if he came to UK a lot of top ranked recruits and transfers will take notice
not to mention he should bring the NBA style of play here

i think he or Hurly would be home run hires

The longer we go without hearing rumblings of Scott Drew coming the better it is that Billy is coming.

This is my thoughts exactly. I don’t believe it’s Hurley holding this up, sounds to me like it’s Donovan.

As someone totally on board with Drew for reasons I find obvious, and I’m aware of the issues with Billy back in college, if he wants it you just have to give it to him. There’s no way around it. I think Drew could end up the better hire, but it’s Billy. It’s always been meant to be. And if Billy wants to win again on a college floor, we can’t allow a chance for that to happen anywhere else.

If it ever breaks that Barnhart could have had Donovan and chose not to……

Forest Gump running gif….

If true and Mitch ignores it, he should be forced out tonight.
Serious question. Why do you think BD is a can’t miss hire? It’s going on 10 years since he last coached college ball and he left due to not liking the grind of recruiting then which has only gotten 10 times worse now with NIL and the transfer portal. No recruiting connections to speak of to hit the ground running so likely looking at a complete rebuild for a period of minimally 3 years and hope he doesn’t hate it as bad or worse than he did which caused him to leave the college game to begin with.

Serious question. Why do you think BD is a can’t miss hire? It’s going on 10 years since he last coached college ball and he left due to not liking the grind of recruiting then which has only gotten 10 times worse now with NIL and the transfer portal. No recruiting connections to speak of to hit the ground running so likely looking at a complete rebuild for a period of minimally 3 years and hope he doesn’t hate it as bad or worse than he did which caused him to leave the college game to begin with.
It’s different now. Recruiting in college now is done with money. Be likable and offer the most money, you get who you want. Especially if you add the NBA experience angle.

He may not say yes, but if he did he would just rebuild with what's available, and it wouldn't be long before we started to see what was in store for UK fans. His system would be evident his first season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT