ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone watch Saturday Night Live anymore?

So here's the deal with SNL. It's a bit like music. Or wants to be. They attempt as best they can to be funny to most Americans, but also push the envelope a little, and try to be on the cutting edge of mainstream comedy (which means not the actual cutting edge). It ebbs and flows, but what is popular changes. Andy Samberg is amazing, but his stuff probably wouldn't have worked in 1985 or 1995. Probably wouldn't work in 2025. But from 2005-15, he kills it.

Sometimes they find fire, sometimes they strike out. But they move forward, and I like that. I haven't watched a live episode since I don't know when, but it's in the DVR rotation. Because once every so often (and when you least expect it) they CRUSH something, and it's hilarious. I'm not aware of any movie characters like Wayne's World recently, but I still enjoy the show. Way better this year than 2 years ago.

Reactions: cbpointblank1979
Goddamnit Dennis. I look for you to be one of the more mature voices of the paddock. Why the **** are you up at 3:20 in the morning? And trying to rationally discuss SNL? Who gives a shit? Old guys like old SNL. Young guys like new SNL. Your laser sharp viewpoints are severely wasted here.
#confused

Before it came on I thought they would do a Trump opening. I was right. They're picking low hanging fruit.

Only time I watch it is when Timberlake hosts. He is better than anyone they have on the current cast and it's not close. I think there are a few strong cast members now, but the writers are terrible. I watched the opening last night because I knew they would bring Fey out to do Palin and as usual she absolutely nailed it. You would think she is Palin's twin sister. The black chick who clearly has the Tracy Morgan shtick going is pretty good, but they do not utilize her enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT