ADVERTISEMENT

Dillingham handles are INSANE !

I'll get blasted for this but don't care. Personally, he reminds me of Brandon Knight coming out of high school. Similar build, very shifty, can stop or go on a dime. Knight had that step on your throat dog in him, from what I've seen Dillingham has some dog in him as well.

Ryan Harrow was a disaster between the ears.

Curious to see how Dillingham's skills translate to the major D1 level. So many guys get away with stuff in HS because of the competition .... case in point, 4 lazy, one-handed perimeter passes stolen and taken the other way for layups/dunks by Kansas State in this year's NCAAT.

I'll get blasted for this but don't care. Personally, he reminds me of Brandon Knight coming out of high school. Similar build, very shifty, can stop or go on a dime. Knight had that step on your throat dog in him, from what I've seen Dillingham has some dog in him as well.

What? Dillingham is 6'1 and 165lbs soaking wet. Brandon Knight was a chiseled 185 and 6'3 with broad shoulders. He was one of those super shredded guys whereas Dilly is a string bean.

Personally I think Dillingham is a lot more like Brandon Jennings, minus the hops.

What? Dillingham is 6'1 and 165lbs soaking wet. Brandon Knight was a chiseled 185 and 6'3 with broad shoulders. He was one of those super shredded guys whereas Dilly is a string bean.

Personally I think Dillingham is a lot more like Brandon Jennings, minus the hops.
Yeah his style of play reminds me of Brandon Jennings also .

I saw some people saying Darius Garland

Let’s hope it translates. I have a feeling there will be a few SEC guards feasting on some sloppy turnovers, too much dribbling, and attempted no looks. At least until he realizes he won’t get away with some of that at the next level. As long as he focuses on being strong with the ball, solid and quick passes, and finding the open man as soon as possible - he can be great. Don’t get cute.

When he starts playing with the ball like in the video Cal will have a stroke.

How do those handles translate to putting the ball into the hoop?

Our last couple of slashing, assist first PG's, Hagans and Wheeler, spent many possessions missing layups and passing it to the other team. Is he a threat to score on his own?

Reactions: delk4three
4 lazy, one-handed perimeter passes stolen and taken the other way for layups/dunks by Kansas State in this year's NCAAT.
Between those and the bounce-pass post feeds that always seemed too low for Oscar to handle or so slow that defenders could easily step in and pick them off, I shouted at the TV a lot this past season.

Be interesting to see if Cal boxes him in or let’s him he himself. His entire game is predicated on quickness, shiftiness and change of speed to create. If you reel it in too much then he’s just an undersized guard with average to below average shooting

He’s a “make you dance and exploit the weakness when you get out of position” guy. You force him into structure and he will struggle

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
I am fully aboard the Dillingham hype train. Super excited to see what this dude can do next year. If nothing else the guy is fun to watch play basketball.

My favorite Dillingham Highlight Video is when he was with Donda and played the Boozer Twins and had the crowd going nuts as he went for their neck. I've seen Rob play once against MN Prep at Target Center. He was with JJ Taylor who was the primary reason I went to watch (at time he was talked of as UK target and Rob wasn't) and Dillingham was a killer. Crowd (which was minimal due to playing at Target Center but would've been sold out if in a normal HS gym) was all over him but he won them over and every local for being tough and hitting big shots/making big time plays. He has a lot of "F YOU" to him which this program has lacked for some time.

In that Gold Medal game for the 16U team against Argentina a few years ago he took over the game and just lit them up when Team USA was struggling. He doesn't fear anything-which can be also be an issue for him at times--but the one thing I'd be very surprised with the incoming class is if they are rattled. Some of the Vets UK has brought in the past 3 years have pissed themselves in tough spots/hostile environments. I want killers again. That "F YOU" needs to return and in competitive moments those are the type of guys who usually rise up. Cats were in a battle with season on line and at no point did I think Wallace/Livingston/Oscar were rattled---rest of team...not so much. Sometimes rankings do matter.

Can't wait, I've been waiting for a legit pg that never misses a shot and never turns it over. Now I'm stoked af.

Straight butta!

No offense OP, but I swear I heard similar opinions on Ryan Harrow before he got here.
Bringing back bad memories and a frankly still confounding player, BB. Harrow had crazy handles. He had success in college already. He should have been very good. The psych stuff (which I don't pretend to understand or know much about) just shut him down. Does show that there are no guarantees how these players will respond at UK - even ones with college experience.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Be interesting to see if Cal boxes him in or let’s him he himself. His entire game is predicated on quickness, shiftiness and change of speed to create. If you reel it in too much then he’s just an undersized guard with average to below average shooting

He’s a “make you dance and exploit the weakness when you get out of position” guy. You force him into structure and he will struggle

He reminds me a lot of how Monk was coming out of high school. Cal doesn't mind flash as long as it's effective. If it's over dribbling just to over dribble or over complicate a pass to make it look cool, that's when he goes bananas, and rightfully so. With Monk, he didn't box him in. More like he compacted it and aimed and fired it with more precision. I think he'd get the same treatment here and look a lot more like Monk.

My favorite Dillingham Highlight Video is when he was with Donda and played the Boozer Twins and had the crowd going nuts as he went for their neck. I've seen Rob play once against MN Prep at Target Center. He was with JJ Taylor who was the primary reason I went to watch (at time he was talked of as UK target and Rob wasn't) and Dillingham was a killer. Crowd (which was minimal due to playing at Target Center but would've been sold out if in a normal HS gym) was all over him but he won them over and every local for being tough and hitting big shots/making big time plays. He has a lot of "F YOU" to him which this program has lacked for some time.

In that Gold Medal game for the 16U team against Argentina a few years ago he took over the game and just lit them up when Team USA was struggling. He doesn't fear anything-which can be also be an issue for him at times--but the one thing I'd be very surprised with the incoming class is if they are rattled. Some of the Vets UK has brought in the past 3 years have pissed themselves in tough spots/hostile environments. I want killers again. That "F YOU" needs to return and in competitive moments those are the type of guys who usually rise up. Cats were in a battle with season on line and at no point did I think Wallace/Livingston/Oscar were rattled---rest of team...not so much. Sometimes rankings do matter.

Wagner, Bradshaw, and Edwards have that in them too. Philly basketball - especially in the public school leagues - is not for the faint of heart and those three dominated it this year. I can’t wait to see them all in Blue this summer and fall!

I’m not really down with calling a kid on our team a dildo but you do you.
I wouldn't really do that, but some jerk somewhere is bound to do that, and you have to learn to find humor from within. People take themselves way too seriously.

I wouldn't really do that, but some jerk somewhere is bound to do that, and you have to learn to find humor from within. People take themselves way too seriously.

You need to find humor from within. You’re the one telling dumb jokes.

How do those handles translate to putting the ball into the hoop?

Our last couple of slashing, assist first PG's, Hagans and Wheeler, spent many possessions missing layups and passing it to the other team. Is he a threat to score on his own?
Yea. He’s a playmaker, a finisher, and a lay-up maker. Meaning he finishes in a variety of ways around the rim.

He’s not one thing like Hagans or Wheeler. He can shoot the ball too.

He won't do that at UK but it is nice that he has the skills to control the ball like he does. He may do that when the shot-clock is running down but you don't do that in college...

Yea. He’s a playmaker, a finisher, and a lay-up maker. Meaning he finishes in a variety of ways around the rim.

He’s not one thing like Hagans or Wheeler. He can shoot the ball too.
Alright cool.

He shot less than 35% from the field last year for Overtime Elite. From the line, however, he shot well over 80% which suggests he could be a better shooter than his numbers indicate. The team/system/league he played in is a contributor to shooting %. I was hoping it was more a product of that rather than his innate ability.

He was stating that their games were similar, not their height and body-build. They can have some of the same attributes and mindset and not be the exact same height and weight. C'mon maaaannnnn!

He was stating that their games were similar, not their height and body-build. They can have some of the same attributes and mindset and not be the exact same height and weight. C'mon maaaannnnn!

I still don't see it. One was a big strong guard and one is a little quick twitch highlight real. Knight wasn't a flashy over-dribbler. He had floaters and mid range and everything. To each their own though.

Alright cool.

He shot less than 35% from the field last year for Overtime Elite. From the line, however, he shot well over 80% which suggests he could be a better shooter than his numbers indicate. The team/system/league he played in is a contributor to shooting %. I was hoping it was more a product of that rather than his innate ability.
Looked like he was playing off the ball and maybe needed time getting used to that.

He’s a good shooter. I’m sure of that. 35% isn’t good though.

The college game wants the opponent's PG to dribble around a lot. Getting the ball to the right spots at the right time is what the PG should be concerned with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT