ADVERTISEMENT

Did you play sports in high school or college?

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
I've got some old pictures out and I'm reminiscing.

I played baseball my sophomore year, mostly first base. I sucked -- hated every single practice, every single game. Varsity football my junior and senior years, mainly second-string defensive guard. I sucked but not nearly as bad as I did at baseball, and unlike baseball, being a football player was a lot of fun. =)

Did you play anything in high school and/or college? Did you do anything cool or play with or against anybody notable?

maxresdefault_grande.jpg

I played football freshman year. There was a guy that was a senior that went to Vandy to play football. Then he quit and transferred to Kentucky but didn’t play football there.

And there was a guy that got offered a walk on spot at Nebraska (back when Nebraska was a big deal) but had zero interest in going to college. Just wanted to work on his dad’s farm and then take it over.

Oh and there was a guy a year older than me that walked in at Louisville for Denny Crum. Pitino came in and gave him the boot so he transferred to KWC.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Dee
Played baseball in college , D-1 , starting pitcher. Long time ago, early 1980s.

Best game I ever had was a loss, a 1 hitter against Indiana, took a no hitter into the last innning and lost the win, shutout and no hitter all on the same play, a perfect bunt with a man on first (walk)that our catcher overthrew down the right field line.

Played against several players that had MLB careers.

Pitched into my late 30s in a very good amateur league that had a few former MLB players in it, including Dave Parker who was only a year or two retired. Faced him several times.

Baseball in HS. Was at end of JV bench my FR year. Soph year I made Varsity and by mid-season was in the pitching rotation (went 2-2). I think I peaked there. JR year was the #2 SP, and the #1 SP as a SR, but pitched better my Soph yr than both those years. Had a good fastball and slider. I think I started short-arming my pitches, and I mistakenly tried to turn my slider into a curve for more speed separation (wish instead I had learned a change up, but our coaching was non-existent).
Highs: had a 3 pitch inning, and struck out a real midget on 4 pitches
Lows: my last pitch (district tourny) was a HR, 2nd of the inning to same batter (he had 5 HR in 6 AB off me in 2 games)

Played football my freshman year. Sucked badly. Retired.

Played freshman basketball my freshman year. Scored 14 points in 8 minutes of PT on the season. I was a bench warmer who honestly was just as good as a couple starters, but my parents were just regular people while several other kids’ parents were big shots in the local community. The whole thing was really political. Lost interest and didn’t play my sophomore year.

Played baseball my freshman and sophomore years. JV for freshman year and JV starter/varsity reserve my sophomore year. My career varsity batting average is .333 (1/3)

My junior year, I was given the option of playing baseball and riding the bus to school or getting a part time job so I could buy a car and drive to school. I chose the car, thus, ending my high school athletic career.

Played freshman and sophomore yrs on the basketball team. Bench warmer. Played 2 yrs junior and senior yrs of varsity soccer. 1st yrs our high-school had a soccer team. I was pretty good just because I could run all day. Received a few offers from very small colleges but wasn't interested.

Played all 4 yrs baseball. Last 2 as a varsity starter shortstop. Pitched some in relief but I was no pitcher. Played 2 yrs on a summer travel team in Indiana. From that got offered to play small div II. Barely made it thru freshman yr and bowed out. I was just not big enough, committed enough, and these guys were just better.

I was impressed with myself that was talented enough to play and compete in 3 completely different sports. I was the youngest kid in my grade. Really should have been with my peers a grade under me. I started to fill out physically a couple of yrs after the fact. I just didn't grow until later on. Don't know if that would have made a difference as I was getting really burned out. With sports and school.

Played basketball in high school. I was better at the academic team, lol.

Played baseball in high school. I know I'm Al Bundying it a little here but got a hit of this guy. They were the main rival of the school I went to in NY. I remember seeing him in the 1990 college world series that Georgia won. Funny thing is that velocity isn't everything because there was another kid on their team that threw a lot harder than him.
And the correct pronunciation of Mahopac is not Ma-Ho-Pac. It's Mayo-Pac.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhcat70 and J_Dee
I do enjoy telling tall tales to my niece and nephew as to why I didn’t make it to the NBA

Fact. I’ve been 6’3 since 8th grade. I always played center. I could not adjust to playing guard when everyone got as tall or taller than me. This was a huge detriment to my game.

Also fact. I have no athletic ability whatsoever. Imagine Stanley from the office playing basketball. That’s pretty much what I look like.

Guess which story I tell the youngsters?

Reactions: vhcat70 and J_Dee
Played varsity baseball and varsity soccer all 4 years in HS. Played freshman basketball (was decent), but decided to focus on indoor soccer in the winter instead of basketball. I was a decent athlete and just really enjoy sports to this day. I'm the Director of Campus Recreation at Illinois State University, so still around sports daily in my job and just love being in that environment.

I played against Tim Couch. Although I guess getting in for one play doesn't really constitute "playing against". ;)

I do enjoy telling tall tales to my niece and nephew as to why I didn’t make it to the NBA

Fact. I’ve been 6’3 since 8th grade. I always played center. I could not adjust to playing guard when everyone got as tall or taller than me. This was a huge detriment to my game.

Also fact. I have no athletic ability whatsoever. Imagine Stanley from the office playing basketball. That’s pretty much what I look like.

My best friend in elementary school was a 6'1 sixth grader. We would score 30 points in a game. I would have 2 and he would have 28....lol. When we graduated he was still 6'1

• Haha
Played football my freshman year. Sucked badly. Retired.

Played freshman basketball my freshman year. Scored 14 points in 8 minutes of PT on the season. I was a bench warmer who honestly was just as good as a couple starters, but my parents were just regular people while several other kids’ parents were big shots in the local community. The whole thing was really political. Lost interest and didn’t play my sophomore year.

Played baseball my freshman and sophomore years. JV for freshman year and JV starter/varsity reserve my sophomore year. My career varsity batting average is .333 (1/3)

My junior year, I was given the option of playing baseball and riding the bus to school or getting a part time job so I could buy a car and drive to school. I chose the car, thus, ending my high school athletic career.
I think that happens at every school.

Expectation
Chicago Bulls Basketball GIF by NBA

Reality
Basketball GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

• Haha
Basketball, baseball, and tennis in high school.
Could not hit high school pitching.
Started point guard senior year. Played against Pelphrey, Couch, and Hanson.
First player from my high school to ever make it to tennis single semis in region.
No soccer program at my high school, so played leagues in WV.

My basketball and soccer team in the military where small college comparable. Won everything stateside, and competed and occasionally won against professional/semi professional teams overseas.

Played varsity high school baseball from 7th grade til graduation. Was a catcher for a guy that went pro. Joe Blanton was the only talent we had to go pro.

Never played HS football and it's one of my biggest regrets in life. Played from pee wee all the way up to Catholic middle school but was burned out on it. Hey we won the Toy Bowl though. That was fun.

Played football my freshman year, first game I broke my fibula by landing on the old school steel yard chains on a 5 yard out pattern. Leg got caught between the tackler and the metal first down pole.

Played high school basketball, but couldn't get any playing time because of a tiny pg named Travis Ford. I didn't transfer, but played for a little Christian school in town while still attending MNHHS. Averaged right at 21 per game, but the talent level was not the greatest, we played our games in national guard armories and church gyms. Definitely some eligibility issues, LOL. It was fun at times, no pressure to win district, region, etc. Funny story, one game playing a team on the road at the Owensboro National Guard Armory, I scored 36 points. A reporter (only one I ever seen at our games), asked to do a interview. Can't remember the reason I came up with, but I didn't do it. I just knew my name would come out in the paper and ONE person would read it and know I actually attended MNHHS. I did have three rebounds on one possession. I had a break away and missed three wide open lay ups, obviously I got the rebounds, nobody ran down court. Probably the most rebounds ever for me in a game.

play sports through college. team was sponsored by a big brand, still have a ton of gear. got a lot of c's and nearly lost my scholarship due to sports, but some of my closest friends are still from the team. no regrets.

I had no chance to make HS basketball team even though 6-3. But that happens when Dave Cowens is on your team along with three other college scholarship hoops players & a 6-5 guy that pitched for the Pirates. That doesn't include the 6-10 backup center.

Played football at Trinity in the 80's with a bunch of older guys who ended up starting games at UK and some were later drafted into the pros (Andy Murray, Carwell Gardner. Mike Pfieffer, etc.). Started my junior and senior years but didn't take it further.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Played football at Trinity in the 80's with a bunch of older guys who ended up starting games at UK and some were later drafted into the pros (Andy Murray, Carwell Gardner. Mike Pfieffer, etc.). Started my junior and senior years but didn't take it further.
Murray played FB that I can recall Pfieffer was a monster

I ran cross country in the fall, wrestled in the winter and played tennis in the spring! That was a very diverse trio. Played tennis in college.

Hockey and golf. Hockey was exhausting. Ice time in northern Ontario isn’t easy to come by so practices, power skating, etc etc were at the ass crack of dawn. Eventually it got too expensive for my parents to keep it up.

When I turned 14 I got my first job and bought a set of clubs. The local club in my town was $50 (!!!) a year for a junior membership. Unlimited golf. Me and a few other guys played almost every day. Made the high school team but wasn’t good enough for a scholarship. Still my biggest vice. After groceries, golf is my 2nd biggest expense. It’s beautiful and brutal at the same time.

• Haha
Reactions: BigBlueDave
Love living rent free in big blue Dave’s head. How often to you search for my posts so you can rush over and react?

It’s quite flattering.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT