ADVERTISEMENT

Did Tubby ever

TNCatfanforever

All-American
Apr 3, 2003
Mount Juliet Tn
Miss the NCAA or have a losing season? Tubby got more out of less. Cal got less out of more.
I wasn’t a Tubby fan and was a advocate of the Legion of Doom and it was a time for change. Cal should have been fire 2 years ago and never given a life time contract.

He did win a title and I think was a couple of last second shots from other final fours. Did he ever have #1 recruiting classes year after year and flop? Did he ever say draft day was greatest day in UK basketball history? Did he have the worst season in UK history? I was not a Tubby fan and was so happy he left for Minnesota. Cal did some good things 5 out of 14 years he was here but was overrated overpaid, overhyped, and over blown. He had the most talented teams ever assembled 2-3 years and was a bust. He was an absolute horrible bench and game coach. When teams can run the same play 8-10 times a game and get layups and you can’t adjust it is humiliating.

Tubby also left Billy with crap to work with. The recruiting was so bad for the end of the Tubby run and pretty much all of Billy's run minus Miller/Patterson.

No, but he made 1 ff in 10 years.
And three Elite Eights, five SEC Championships, five SEC Tournament Championships, and multiple #1 seeds. Came up a bit short a couple of times (2003 & 2005), but up until the final two years was always competitive.

He was not allowed to have a down period, which most coaches will have.

I never bought into the TLT thing because that was mostly due to general season expansion- his winning pct was almost identical to Joe B’s and against schedules almost always ranked in the top 10 per Sagarin.

I think part of his problem was coming directly after a legend. Anyone was going to have a tough time following Pitino, who quit at the height of one of UK’s best run of seasons.

Man, he’s gone. I was wondering how losing your archnemesis would affect you and now I see that you just can’t let it go. Whatever will you post about without him? When will you change your avatar? So many questions.

You say that as if it’s bad. Calipari made it to 1 Final Four in his last 12 years. Plus 1 losing season, 1 NIT first round loss, and 2 NCAA first round losses.

And three Elite Eights, five SEC Championships, five SEC Tournament Championships, and multiple #1 seeds. Came up a bit short a couple of times (2003 & 2005), but up until the final two years was always competitive.

I never bought into the TLT thing because that was mostly due to general season expansion- his winning pct was almost identical to Joe B’s and against schedules almost always ranked in the top 10 per Sagarin.

I think part of his problem was coming directly after a legend. Anyone was going to have a tough time following Pitino, who quit at the height of one of UK’s best run of seasons.
I wasn't criticizing Tubby. I was just explaining why the fans were wanting him gone.

Miss the NCAA or have a losing season? Tubby got more out of less. Cal got less out of more.
I wasn’t a Tubby fan and was a advocate of the Legion of Doom and it was a time for change. Cal should have been fire 2 years ago and never given a life time contract.
Tubby made the NCAA's every year, unlike Cal he actually won some SEC tourney's as well. Was 23-9 in the NCAA. And he never blamed anyone else for his failures or dumped on any of his players like Cal.

Reactions: katwest
Tubby made the NCAA's every year, unlike Cal he actually won some SEC tourney's as well. Was 23-9 in the NCAA. And he never blamed anyone else for his failures or dumped on any of his players like Cal.
Call won more SEC tourneys than Tubby did. And more tournament games than Tubby did. I get that the last 4 years haven't been good, and agree that the change was probably needed, but there is no sense in revisionist history. Tubby was ran out just like Cal was, but Cal was incredibly more successful here than Tubby was.

Reactions: Bbfan1415
Cal should have been fire 2 years ago and never given a life time contract.
At this point I hope you know he didn't actually have a lifetime contract.

But there's not a single school in the country that would have fired Cal two years ago. Anyone wanting him fired at that point was irrational. None of Duke, Kansas, UNC, or any other school was hiring a coach who won a national title a decade ago and had recently been in the Elite 8 for losing in the first round as a 2 seed.

Everything you say about Tubby is true will Cal. Cal had a down period, but overall won more SEC titles, tournaments and NCAA tournament games than Tubby, but everyone hates Cal. Again, I think it was time, but the revisionist history is crazy here.

I know it might be nuts to say it but overall I think I enjoyed the Tubby era more. Maybe it was because I was at UK at the time. I dunno.

Reactions: mattrudd
Everything you say about Tubby is true will Cal.
Except the part where Tubby had to follow a very popular (at the time) Pitino and Cal got to follow BCG.

Not trying to downplay Cal’s early success here, just pointing out what might be a contributing factor to Tubby being heavily criticized so quickly. Of course 2002 Team Turmoil didn’t help. But in his 6th, 7th and 8th years, just two before the end, he had two E8s, two #1 seeds, SEC championships and a #1 recruiting class in the country. But he couldn’t survive ‘07 and ‘08. Or at least choose not to, he wasn’t fired and I don’t think he was in real danger of it. Of course Cal wasn’t fired either.

It’s a tough position. As has been pointed out previously, about the only coach in the last 80 years to leave while still popular was RP.

Cal had higher highs and lower lows.

Tubby was steadily good but only great in 98 and 2003. If Tubby could’ve made one more final four his tenure would be remembered more fondly.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Tubby started phoning in his recruiting, was the main thing. Letting assistants supposedly do it who didn't even seem to be really trying. Also he didn't adjust his ball line defensive strategy to adapt when players creating their own shots on the perimeter kind of exploded. Otherwise the Tubster was solid start to finish.

Not sure another man ever walked Planet Earth though, who was better at drawing up a play out of a timeout.

To compare Tubby’s last 4 years and Cal’s last 4 years is not even a close comparison. Tubby was 99-36, Cal was 80-46. Tubby was 8-3 in SEC tournament, Cal was 1-4. Tubby was 6-4 in the NCAA, Cal was 1-3 (didn’t make any tournament one year). So overall Tubby’s tournament record was 14-7, Cal’s was 2-7 over their last 4 years.

I thought it was time for Tubby to go when he left. I will let you guess what I think about Cal leaving.

Reactions: sdryan2
You say that as if it’s bad. Calipari made it to 1 Final Four in his last 12 years. Plus 1 losing season, 1 NIT first round loss, and 2 NCAA first round losses.
Calipari made it to 1 Final Four in his last 10 seasons (one of which the tournament was canceled). We didn’t even make it into the NIT in 2021.

Tubby also left Billy with crap to work with. The recruiting was so bad for the end of the Tubby run and pretty much all of Billy's run minus Miller/Patterson.
Not really.
He left seniors Crawford and Bradley.
A Soph Meeks and frosh Patterson.
Drew is left way worse.

To compare Tubby’s last 4 years and Cal’s last 4 years is not even a close comparison. Tubby was 99-36, Cal was 80-46. Tubby was 8-3 in SEC tournament, Cal was 1-4. Tubby was 6-4 in the NCAA, Cal was 1-3 (didn’t make any tournament one year). So overall Tubby’s tournament record was 14-7, Cal’s was 2-7 over their last 4 years.

I thought it was time for Tubby to go when he left. I will let you guess what I think about Cal leaving.
I’ve said, “Forgive me, Tubby!” numerous times the last couple years. That drought of Final Fours was something the fan base couldn’t handle after Pitino’s 3 in 5 seasons. And we couldn’t handle the 9 (8) season drought under Cal after he set the bar so high with 4 Final Fours in 5 years.

Reactions: sdryan2
Not really.
He left seniors Crawford and Bradley.
A Soph Meeks and frosh Patterson.
Drew is left way worse.
Yeah Drew will be left with nothing. That roster Billy got lost like 14 games and had probably some of the worst losses in history.

Call won more SEC tourneys than Tubby did. And more tournament games than Tubby did. I get that the last 4 years haven't been good, and agree that the change was probably needed, but there is no sense in revisionist history. Tubby was ran out just like Cal was, but Cal was incredibly more successful here than Tubby was.
Well I would hope so, you realize he coached UK 5 more years than Tubby. And you are full of it nobody ran Cal off, he had Mitch's backing for next season but ran to Arkansas then hoped to force UK into matching. I say good riddance to roll the ball out Cal.

Interesting that both Tubby and Cal were both looking for other jobs during the season while still HC at Kentucky.

Yeah Drew will be left with nothing. That roster Billy got lost like 14 games and had probably some of the worst losses in history.
Meeks was hurt most all of BCG's first year.
If he was 100% heathy it would have been a good team.
Billy did absolutely nothing to help himself.
Didn't bring any recruits other than the complete dud Legion.
He had an off-season to replace guys like Coury and Porter but didn't bring in anyone better.

His recruiting went down because he didn't adjust with the changing game: getting in with the AAU scene. Cal didn't adapt to using a zone. The thing that really hurt Tubby was playing his son Saul. 5 star guards wouldn't come to Kentucky because they believed that Tubby would play Saul over them. Saul wasn't "starting point guard at Kentucky material" , he would have been a good back up but never a starter. That was the beginning of Tubby's downfall. If not for that I believe he could have finished his career at Kentucky and if he'd adapted to the AAU scene possibly won another championship.

Reactions: HeismaNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT