ADVERTISEMENT

Did Mitch make the right call?

One thing we have found from Coach Pope, the man will work as hard as it takes to put a good product on the floor. I am impressed with his work ethic, dad always told me. The harder you work the luckier you will get. Hasn't failed me throughout my working career. It won't fail Pope, I am very happy the hire worked out in his favor.
Yep I’m in the same boat you are 💯….

Even though we very likely have an extensive program rebuild ahead of us (as in years), I'm really thinking about going to a game because we have a coach who cares about UK, and who wants to win titles.....not sit in a green room.
rebuild yes but I don't think it will take years with the current transfer portal and nil money in todays game

Reactions: NociHTTP
Yes, Mitch made the correct hire. People need to be patient. It's not just about recruiting and signing guys, for UK. It's about changing the culture. He needs to implement his offense and defense, and that's going to take time. Expect a painful year, but next year that experience will be there. Too many people are disguising their dislike for the hire behind "I'm hoping it works out".

Reactions: K86 and TOMCATS1990
OP, I'll chime in to the question that you had in your post. I think the president 100% has the right to tell an AD that he can't hire certain people for specific reasons. The 3 names you list have obvious reasons why a president would say no to all of them.

The president at the University of Maryland said it best, “As President, I sit over a number of dormant volcanoes. One of them is an athletic scandal. It blows up, it blows up the University, its reputation. It blows up the President.”

I've got no problem with it.
Yeah, I agree with this. All the guys mentioned have baggage. And UK has some baggage as well. I can definitely see why the UK administration would want to avoid even the appearance of impropriety.

Although, with the NCAA now being an impotent organization and players getting paid to play, it's hard to imagine anyone getting in any real trouble at this point.

I’m confident in Mark Pope, but I said it before he was even mentioned, Mitch should have waited on Donovan. One week wouldn’t have made a difference. And the upside of getting Donovan would have been well worth it.

I think the administration did their job by not allowing Mitch to go after certain candidates and the hiring of Mark Pope will turn out to be a great thing!

GO BIG BLUE!!!
I don't think the administration should have much input in a coach unless the AD wants to hire someone that might of molested a child. Pope was a good hire, but putting prospective hires off limits is not in the best interest of the program. Adminstrators probably don't have much experience hiring coaches. Yes, they should know what's going on in the job search, but for them to actually put people that have not committed some horrendous act off limits is not good. Let the AD interview and come to them with each candidate that they think is the best available.

I don't think the administration should have much input in a coach unless the AD wants to hire someone that might of molested a child. Pope was a good hire, but putting prospective hires off limits is not in the best interest of the program. Adminstrators probably don't have much experience hiring coaches. Yes, they should know what's going on in the job search, but for them to actually put people that have not committed some horrendous act off limits is not good. Let the AD interview and come to them with each candidate that they think is the best available.
So we disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

It’s no secret I think it was the wrong choice and a bad hire. Unlike 90% of BBN, I didn’t wake up the day after the hire doing a complete 180 on how I felt about it.

Hearing the admin blocked Pearl and Beard specifically pisses me off. They need to mind their own business and stay the hell out of athletics. Mitch should have grown a pair and told them he was looking at those coaching and if they didn’t like it then fire him. Shit like this is why we are in the position we are. No other SEC school outside of maybe Vandy would have an admin tell their AD they couldn’t hire Pearl, Beard or Miller.

Even still, Tommy Lloyd would have been a much better hire than Pope. Who knows if he’d actually came but he still should have been offered before Pope. I can’t stand Shaka but even he’s done more than Pope. Although between the two I guess I’d rather have Pope. I don’t see either succeeding at UK but atleast with Pope I could like the coach.

Bottom line, even if what all has transpired roster wise isn’t enough to convince you this was probably a bad hire, the fact that Barnhart made the hire is enough to show that it’s a bad one. His success rate in the 2 big sports is 50% and that’s even if you give him the benefit of hiring Kal although he was basically forced to. No doubt he would have hired someone like Thad Matta in 2008 if he had it his way.

No I have Bachelors from UK in Biology but even us biology majors know points are not mute.
Wouldn’t that be we biology majors know…?

Seriously, I do find it kind of interesting that Mitch was given a no contact list. I also think that he made a positive hire
Whether or not it’s a good hire remains to be seen

Who would be preventing Mitch? Only a few people could - the board of trustees, the president of the university and a huge donor (Craft) could. All three are huge Mitch guys. Mitch is also a human mayonnaise sandwich, he’s not taking a risk on people with baggage. Any decision to not contact those coaches was assuredly a mutual understand between everyone, except maybe the president because he’s busy securing contracts for new dorms and student centers, and leaves the athletics to Mitch.
I think you’re right here. There may have been a do not contact list but none of the names are people MB was going to approach anyway. If anything, it’s cover for Mitch.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
I’m confident in Mark Pope, but I said it before he was even mentioned, Mitch should have waited on Donovan. One week wouldn’t have made a difference. And the upside of getting Donovan would have been well worth it.
This was my initial feeling about Donovan. I think his commitment to his players in Chicago shows a lot of character and he’s a proven winning high level college coach. However, I also feel: he’s been receptive to Kentucky before only to turn us down more than once and he hasn’t coached college ball in 9 years, none in the NIL era

Reactions: susan2361 and wfc7
His main qualification was he played here. If he played anywhere else he wouldn't be a candidate.

UK elevates coaches though and the above doesn't mean he won't succeed or do well.
I agree Pope wouldn’t have been on the radar if he didn’t play here, but I think there’s a rough analogy to the hiring of Joe B Hall after Rupp. Hall’s credentials were: Rupp’s top assistant after Harry Lancaster transitioned to AD, played one year of varsity ball at UK, an unimpressive head coaching record at a couple of Division 2 schools (Regis and Central Missouri). Gale Catlett went on to have a long career as head coach at Cincinnati and WVU but he didn’t have the Kentucky ties or head coaching experience.

Of course one of Hall’s best moves came two years into his tenure when he hired Leonard Hamilton as an assistant.

Probably not. He offered Pope knowing he’d take the job. And hoped that he’d be able to field a decide team before the portal closed.
That’s not happening. Outside of Williams, who is the 58th ranked dude by CBS, Pope has failed in the portal. Beaten like a drum by the big boys.

With all that said, I’d rather have Pope than the used car salesman scumbag.

Pope hasn't been on the job a month which makes the question ridiculous. We watched Cal over the past 8 years nearly destroy the program via a thousand paper cuts. Surely, we can give Pope a couple of seasons to fully get his system in place before judging him. It is going to take a minute to get the word out that UK is no longer a layover spot for players traveling to the NBA. The new Kentucky will be a place of give and take, not just simply a place for players to take without giving their absolute best in return for what they get. GBB!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: *CatinIL*
At the end of the day Pope is going to be judged on the same standards Cal Tubby Pitino all UK coaches are judged on. Do you make final fours and can you win titles.

I’m excited to see how this all turns out. Time will tell if the correct decision was made.

This.

And given UK elevates coaches I expect him to win a title and make a few final fours in his tenure.

OP,

I heard that comment too, and it brought me here. That seems strange that Barnhart can't make his own decisions. I wonder who blocked him? Certainly not Eli Capiluto. I'm thinking it was some of the boosters, and it makes me question who is really running things in the athletic department. Like many things at the University, it all comes down to money.

This was my initial feeling about Donovan. I think his commitment to his players in Chicago shows a lot of character and he’s a proven winning high level college coach. However, I also feel: he’s been receptive to Kentucky before only to turn us down more than once and he hasn’t coached college ball in 9 years, none in the NIL era
I agree. I'm happy with Pope. Yes, he is unproven, but I'm willing to give him a chance before I want to crucify him.🤣 I am glad that Donovan wasn't offered especially if we had to wait a couple of weeks. We didn't have that luxury of time to wait. And like I've said before, even if we offered and he accepted, there's no guarantee he would have showed up, based on his history with us. One of the two times before, he changed his mind and said no. I do NOT like being rejected 2 times and give him a chance to do it again. Just my opinion, though.

Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
Do you guys like what Pope salary is and how the contract is structured ?
He’s ridiculous overpaid! How is he worth 5.5mil/year when he was making 2 at BYU?

Why not give him a base salary of 3mil and structure in incentives up to 5.5. He also gets an additional year if we reach the sweet 16. That’s a low threshold for UK to be considered a successful season. If the Pope experiment doesn’t work and he just makes a bunch of sweet 16’s. It will make for a very expensive buyout. Clearly Mitch didn’t learn his lesson with Cal.

Reactions: KYExtemper
It’s no secret I think it was the wrong choice and a bad hire. Unlike 90% of BBN, I didn’t wake up the day after the hire doing a complete 180 on how I felt about it.

Hearing the admin blocked Pearl and Beard specifically pisses me off. They need to mind their own business and stay the hell out of athletics. Mitch should have grown a pair and told them he was looking at those coaching and if they didn’t like it then fire him. Shit like this is why we are in the position we are. No other SEC school outside of maybe Vandy would have an admin tell their AD they couldn’t hire Pearl, Beard or Miller.

Even still, Tommy Lloyd would have been a much better hire than Pope. Who knows if he’d actually came but he still should have been offered before Pope. I can’t stand Shaka but even he’s done more than Pope. Although between the two I guess I’d rather have Pope. I don’t see either succeeding at UK but atleast with Pope I could like the coach.

Bottom line, even if what all has transpired roster wise isn’t enough to convince you this was probably a bad hire, the fact that Barnhart made the hire is enough to show that it’s a bad one. His success rate in the 2 big sports is 50% and that’s even if you give him the benefit of hiring Kal although he was basically forced to. No doubt he would have hired someone like Thad Matta in 2008 if he had it his way.
The internet rumor crap that some of our posters run with is incredible. I recommend you step away from your computer and reset

Complaining that the administration blocked certain coaches from being hired, and then bitching that Mitch made the wrong hire. Stay astray!

Complaining that the administration blocked certain coaches from being hired, and then bitching that Mitch made the wrong hire. Stay astray!
Can you not read? I literally said even with the admin blocking people that Mitch should have tried to get Lloyd.

Anyone who believes Mitch Barnhart wanted to hire Chris Beard or Bruce Pearl is just dumber than a bag of hammers. Hopeless. Hasn't paid a bit of attention on how the man operates for 22 yrs.

Pope should have been around 10th on the list not 3rd. Mitch is such a bad AD he already knew he would get turned down 9 times so he skipped to 10. Donavon should have been asked after Nate Oates. Oates has been successful at every job he has had.

Probably not. He offered Pope knowing he’d take the job. And hoped that he’d be able to field a decide team before the portal closed.
That’s not happening. Outside of Williams, who is the 58th ranked dude by CBS, Pope has failed in the portal. Beaten like a drum by the big boys.

With all that said, I’d rather have Pope than the used car salesman scumbag.
The problem is it shouldn't be a decision between Pope or Cal. Cal let Mitch off the hook and instead of making a Blue Blood top of the food chain hire we got Pope. I blame Mitch 100%. If this ends poorly like most of it secretly thinks it will but hopes it won't remember its Mitch that needs to go first.

Reactions: NuttinButtLove
Anyone who believes Mitch Barnhart wanted to hire Chris Beard or Bruce Pearl is just dumber than a bag of hammers. Hopeless. Hasn't paid a bit of attention on how the man operates for 22 yrs.
Frankly, I doubt Mitch really even wanted Dan Hurley. The boosters did but I doubt Mitch really did. Hurley is a great coach but he is a strange bird. If MB had a personality conflict with John Calipari I doubt he’d have had any better relationship with Hurley.

Frankly, I doubt Mitch really even wanted Dan Hurley. The boosters did but I doubt Mitch really did. Hurley is a great coach but he is a strange bird. If MB had a personality conflict with John Calipari I doubt he’d have had any better relationship with Hurley.
Hurley definitely is on top of his game, but he strikes me as a savant type who is consistently overbearing.

Reactions: gojvc and jrm693
Agree. IMO he wanted to hire Drew. After that just to satisfy boosters he made an offer to Hurley knowing it would be turned down. Then he hired Pope.
Both of those dudes were assistants at their respective universities. One was explicitly prepped to take over, the other implicitly.
They were former players at those schools with zero games as head coaches. We are getting a former player experienced as a head coach.

What "blue blood" was going to hire Hubert? None, ever. Same for Duke dude. But they hired them with the expectation their comfort and cultural knowledge of the institutions will make them great coaches. Same logic with UK and Pope.

Reactions: gojvc and Fox2monk
I’m still in the “ecstatic that the con artist we had in the head coaching spot is gone” stage. Just so glad that narcissistic, egotistical, conman is gone. At least we have “one of our own” who cares about the name KENTUCKY.
Give him a chance, see if he can win N SEC tournament game
Exactly, he may fail. But lots of coaches we could have gotten may not have done well. I love giving him a shot. Not like his contract is huge compared to what we have had here. He will give it his all, he loves the school. If he does succeed though watch out because he won’t leave for any other job IMO. I hope He’s Joe B Hall made over. Maybe with 2 titles though!

Reactions: KFuqua and ck-2
Agree. IMO he wanted to hire Drew. After that just to satisfy boosters he made an offer to Hurley knowing it would be turned down. Then he hired Pope.

They were former players at those schools with zero games as head coaches. We are getting a former player experienced as a head coach.

What "blue blood" was going to hire Hubert? None, ever. Same for Duke dude. But they hired them with the expectation their comfort and cultural knowledge of the institutions will make them great coaches. Same logic with UK and Pope.
Exactly how I felt. Those guys didn’t have head coaching gigs anywhere and they are doing just fine. We all laughed at Hubert Davis thinking he would fail. Guess what? He’s built some really good teams, he’s got a monster one for next year and he’s already made a championship game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT