ADVERTISEMENT

Did Mitch make the right call?

Jan 2, 2003
Just heard on the radio on a certain show that after Drew turned us down Mitch was not allowed by people higher up at UK to talk with Bruce Pearl, Miller or Chris Beard regarding the UK Job. That left the list of candidates to Shaka Smart, waiting for Donovan, one other guy they mentioned and Mark Pope. I think he made the right call with Pope. What do you think about our administration hamstringing him with who he could talk to. My personal pick after Drew would have been Pearl even though like Calipari I despised him when he wasn't our coach. I think Pearl would have done well here.

Just heard on the radio on a certain show that after Drew turned us down Mitch was not allowed by people higher up at UK to talk with Bruce Pearl, Miller or Chris Beard regarding the UK Job. That left the list of candidates to Shaka Smart, waiting for Donovan, one other guy they mentioned and Mark Pope. I think he made the right call with Pope. What do you think about our administration hamstringing him with who he could talk to. My personal pick after Drew would have been Pearl even though like Calipari I despised him when he wasn't our coach. I think Pearl would have done well here.
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Why are we still talking about this, makes me wonder were all these trolls came from all of a sudden.

Pope will be fine. He is our coach no more what ifs. Lloyd was the other one BTW
I said in the post given the circumstances Pope was the right call. I guess I was more interested in opinions of the higher ups giving Mitch a no contact list of coaches. Maybe that happens with every coaching search I don't know never been an AD before.

Why are we still talking about this, makes me wonder were all these trolls came from all of a sudden.
Not a freaking troll and I have been on this message board from the day it started before it was rivals. So you know where you can stuff your troll comments.

Yes he made the right call.

Pearl has too much baggage. MB would have jumped off a bridge before hiring Pearl.

I feel mitch wouldn't contact those guys himself. Except Lloyd. Idk why higher ups wouldn't consider Lloyd but who knows.

Why are you just now asking this question? It’s the offseason. Let him put a roster together. Who cares if it takes 1-2 months

Pearl is 65 with 1 final four run in 2019. He’s not the coach some people want him to be. He’s had the resources to accomplish more, so that can’t be an excuse.

One thing we have found from Coach Pope, the man will work as hard as it takes to put a good product on the floor. I am impressed with his work ethic, dad always told me. The harder you work the luckier you will get. Hasn't failed me throughout my working career. It won't fail Pope, I am very happy the hire worked out in his favor.

It will be a while before this question can be answered. But I can say this for sure. Hiring pope was risky as hell. They sold us on nostalgia and pride. But this was a risky move. I’ll need to see a couple years worth of rosters before I can answer whether it was worth it.

I would have preferred to wait on Donovan but there is a big chance he would reject us again.

When it came down to choices beyond tier 1 then Pope was as good as any of those.

Reactions: KT34
If that certain radio show has the letters K,S, and R in it, then I would say they don't know what happened with the coaching search. They have been wrong on everything. I cannot stress that part enough. Whatever pipeline Matt had into UK basketball dried up long ago.

But to answer your question, nobody knows because it is too early. It was a gamble by Mitch. If it doesn't work out, he's out of a job.

Did you make the right call posting this BS since we have had a coach over a week now?
I dont know considering yesterday was the first time in about 6 months I have read anything on this board and the hire is such old news a whole week old . why would anyone want to discuss it? Thank you for reminding me why i stopped reading this board in the first place. The place seems to be full of snarky idiots with nothing much to add

Reactions: kyhankypanky
At this point, it's a mute point. Pope will do great here. Please try not to post for at least 30 days

Why are you just now asking this question? It’s the offseason. Let him put a roster together. Who cares if it takes 1-2 months
I guess I didn't phrase my question very well. Not asking if Pope will be successful in the future but more interested in opinions on the higher ups giving Mitch a no contact list and limiting his options on who to hire

At this point, it's a mute point. Pope will do great here. Please try not to post for at least 30 days
Please learn to speak English correctly. Points are not mute the correct term for your future reference is MOOT.

moot
/mo͞ot/
https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...2ahUKEwiwt4zAquCFAxWSFFkFHZToBKIQ3eEDegQIPhAM
adjective

1. 1.
    subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty.
    "whether they had been successful or not was a moot point"

2. 2.
    having little or no practical relevance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.
    "the whole matter is becoming increasingly moot"

It will be a while before this question can be answered. But I can say this for sure. Hiring pope was risky as hell. They sold us on nostalgia and pride. But this was a risky move. I’ll need to see a couple years worth of rosters before I can answer whether it was worth it.

His main qualification was he played here. If he played anywhere else he wouldn't be a candidate.

UK elevates coaches though and the above doesn't mean he won't succeed or do well.

I don't understand why we're still talking about this.

None of those names even feel right when mentioned for the job. I wouldn't have wanted Dan either. Would have been a waste of huge money for someone who has no ties to the program, community, or traditions. I really feel like Pope is a diamond in the rough. If I am wrong then I'll gladly admit it.....in a couple years when we've had enough time to do anything at all!!

At the end of the day it feels good to have someone who cares about UK. Especially in the wild west times we are in with the NCAA. It used to be coaches left, now its the players. Loyalty is a rare commodity these days. Drew had loyalty to Baylor and Pope is trying to show his loyalty to UK. Only to be met with "Are you even good enough though?" by people on an internet forum.

Los Angeles Dodgers Baseball GIF by MLB

• Haha
Reactions: lazycat75
I don't understand why we're still talking about this.

None of those names even feel right when mentioned for the job. I wouldn't have wanted Dan either. Would have been a waste of huge money for someone who has no ties to the program, community, or traditions. I really feel like Pope is a diamond in the rough. If I am wrong then I'll gladly admit it.....in a couple years when we've had enough time to do anything at all!!

At the end of the day it feels good to have someone who cares about UK. Especially in the wild west times we are in with the NCAA. It used to be coaches left, now its the players. Loyalty is a rare commodity these days. Drew had loyalty to Baylor and Pope is trying to show his loyalty to UK. Only to be met with "Are you even good enough though?" by people on an internet forum.
Not really the question I was asking but probably my fault for not phrasing it better. Was interested in peoples opinion of the news mitch was given basically a no contact list by the higher ups.

Please learn to speak English correctly. Points are not mute the correct term for your future reference is MOOT.

moot
/mo͞ot/
https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...2ahUKEwiwt4zAquCFAxWSFFkFHZToBKIQ3eEDegQIPhAM
adjective

1. 1.
    subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty.
    "whether they had been successful or not was a moot point"

2. 2.
    having little or no practical relevance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.
    "the whole matter is becoming increasingly moot"
🤣🤣🤣 Don't you just love auto correct dumbass. So are you a damn English major? Buzz off.

OP, I'll chime in to the question that you had in your post. I think the president 100% has the right to tell an AD that he can't hire certain people for specific reasons. The 3 names you list have obvious reasons why a president would say no to all of them.

The president at the University of Maryland said it best, “As President, I sit over a number of dormant volcanoes. One of them is an athletic scandal. It blows up, it blows up the University, its reputation. It blows up the President.”

I've got no problem with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT