ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone else see where DJ was ranked in the transfer portal?

Are they "ragging" on DJ or I see it more on Cal. After all, Cal's big claim to fame is how he gets these kids to the NBA so they can "live their dreams."

How did Cal develop DJ? I saw a kid coming into college with an unstoppable mid-range in the paint jump shot after a quick first step. I clearly remember in the McDonald's game the announcers commenting on that. Very early in the college season DJ showed that skill. Then it stopped and instead it was constant drives to the basket to miss layups or outside shots often appearing to be somewhat forced. Where was the coaching? You have to know based upon Cal's history it was that dribble drive nonsense. Other times several of our players appeared lost on defense and what to do. Is that on the player or the coaching?

I hope DJ goes somewhere else than Arkansas and suddenly shows how good he can be.

I seriously doubt that Pope uses negative recruiting tactics but if a coach wanted to against Cal, it would be pretty easy actually. Pointing this out to potential recruits would just be one of many things you could bring up.
You could, but then he would just point to the success of Dillingham and Sheppard exceeding their rankings this past season. He has so many success stories that it could backfire to recruit against Cal like that.

Bradshaw's transfer ranking also wasn't as lofty as his incoming.

Cal is always going to get highly ranked players, but the gas is running out of the tank for his coaching career. The best thing to do is to continue letting him pump the egos of me-first players and just allow his yearly situation to collapse on itself. You don't need to negative recruit to let him fail internally.

You could, but then he would just point to the success of Dillingham and Sheppard exceeding their rankings this past season. He has so many success stories that it could backfire to recruit against Cal like that.

Cal is always going to get highly ranked players, but the gas is running out of the tank for his coaching career. The best thing to do is to continue letting him pump the egos of me-first players and just allow his yearly situation to collapse on itself. You don't need to negative recruit to let him fail internally.
Solid point!

32nd is a far cry from top 5 ranking out of highschool and burger boy. Wow.

If Cal had given him time, developed him (anyone), and used the bench as a motivator, I think DJ could've maintained his high ranking out of high school. Cal hurt this kid and the team

Reactions: delk4three
I seriously doubt that Pope uses negative recruiting tactics but if a coach wanted to against Cal, it would be pretty easy actually. Pointing this out to potential recruits would just be one of many things you could bring up.
The recruiting rankings are determined by the recruiting networks. Rivals. ESPN. Etc.

I really wish Wagner had stayed at UK. You can see the potential in him and when he was injured was when Kentucky had a bit of a slide. He has good court vision and would only improve under Pope’s coaching.

Would love to have back, but that is just me….

I think DJ will be really good this year. I’m no fan of any traitors of UK. But that kid will ball if he goes to Arkansas. Hope he doesn’t.
I'd argue he's far more likely to ball pretty much anywhere than at ARK. Cals done showed he can't use DJ effectively

Are they "ragging" on DJ or I see it more on Cal. After all, Cal's big claim to fame is how he gets these kids to the NBA so they can "live their dreams."

How did Cal develop DJ? I saw a kid coming into college with an unstoppable mid-range in the paint jump shot after a quick first step. I clearly remember in the McDonald's game the announcers commenting on that. Very early in the college season DJ showed that skill. Then it stopped and instead it was constant drives to the basket to miss layups or outside shots often appearing to be somewhat forced. Where was the coaching? You have to know based upon Cal's history it was that dribble drive nonsense. Other times several of our players appeared lost on defense and what to do. Is that on the player or the coaching?

I hope DJ goes somewhere else than Arkansas and suddenly shows how good he can be.
Do unto others, yes?

If the kids name is brought up and it has to do with his high school ranking vs his transfer portal ranking, I take that as ragging on the kid. I'm not looking for innuendo.

There was plenty of ragging on DJ all year despite the fact that he played hurt all season.

Negative recruiting on Cal, lol. He was incredibly loyal to DJ even though he struggled all season. Cal has coached and you can say either helped develop or at least spots good talent for 40+ NBA stars

Cal sucks at Xs and Os, but no doubt he is a players first coach

I imagine DJ felt a lot of pressure also, I mean at his age it’s not easy being on that stage and also having very talented players breathing down your neck. I don’t dislike him at all and at time this past year he was fantastic. He shot the 3 much better the second half for sure. I mean if you give your all, are a nice kid, and have no issues off the court that’s really all anyone can ask. I imagine having lower rated guys behind you that are outplaying you for the most part would cause you to press so much more. Cal misused so many kids and not just by not playing them enough minutes but also playing some too many.

I'm sure Wagner will turn out to be a nice player. His PER last year was about what you expect from
the average NBA rookie and then for the good ones it rises a bunch the next year. We'd probably
all like DJ if Cal had played him the minutes he deserved.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

I think Sheppard and Dillingham were more naturally talented, had a higher IQ than Cal does at basketball, and because of that, they had the drive to become who they are today. I don't Cal did shit to make them better.

• Haha
Reactions: H.W.L.
Simple. He was ranked with other 18 year olds out of high school. Now he’s ranked among some of the best upperclassmen in the country. Just proves how much better high quality transfers are compared to HS kids. Literally men against boys.

Last edited:
I don’t think you can use that in recruiting . Every coach has had a top 5/10 player that didn’t leave up to expectations. I doubt Pope would use that route . I also doubt a recruit would listen to that Angle considering how many guys that made it.

DJ will tear it up next year where ever he goes.

Not sure he shoots well enough for Pope's system, but I have to believe a full year of high college level strength and conditioning will make him hard to stop.

Would love to have him back, maybe Pope adapts the system so the PG has to 1-1 DJ and DJ wins at the rim. If a big helps, we got shooters

Cal recruits players that are good enough for the NBA, then takes all the credit when they get drafted. For every every player that's been drafted, he's had 4 who flamed out.

DJ seems like a good kid who was in a no win situation. Under other circumstances, he'd have gotten 3-4 years to gear up and work on his game before having to lead a team. He just wasn't ready and Cal did him zero favors last season. It makes it even tougher when he had to measure up against dynamic players like Reed and Rob who were great scorers off the bench. He's not the player his dad was, and he'll have to find his own game and develop a shot to make it next level.

I really wish Wagner had stayed at UK. You can see the potential in him and when he was injured was when Kentucky had a bit of a slide. He has good court vision and would only improve under Pope’s coaching.

Would love to have back, but that is just me….
IMO there is a much greater chance of DJ coming back to KY than Reed by a large margin. I’m not trying to start any rumors, but I believe this is a real possibility. Obviously a lot of competition out there for him, but seems unlikely he goes to AR at this point and once that decision is made we have a decent shot or as good as anyone. For me, knowing his family reads this board, I would want them to see the love and support of BBN and that we want him back and believe he will be a great player next year.

I know it won't happen but I would be fine with him coming back. It would be interesting to see what he can do learning from a BB coach vs. an NBA recruiter.

Agree. Leave the dang kids alone.
No one is doing anything to the dang kids. However, maybe the situation with DJ will change the narrative about Cal being a guaranteed early path to the NBA. Maybe just maybe this experience will save another kid from the Cal First Program.

Wagner and Edwards to me were typical Freshmen. Didn't live up to the hype. But IMO would be really good college players in a couple years.
If things were like they once were and players stayed in school like most should now. By their Junior and Senior years both would be really good players

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT