ADVERTISEMENT

Dickie V has vocal cord cancer.

crawfords corner

All-American
Jul 9, 2004
He's fought melanoma and lymphoma recently as well. Sending out all the positive vibes I can muster to Dickie V in his battle with this cancer as well as anyone else who is currently fighting various forms of it.

God Bless him! The man has so much passion for the game and can't catch a break. Don't care what anyone says, he's been apart of College Basketball as long as I've been watching it and will hate when he is no longer associated with the game. He does so much raising awareness and money for cancer. Can't hate the guy, even if you don't agree with him. I'm a fan and hope he pulls through yet again!

God Bless him! The man has so much passion for the game and can't catch a break. Don't care what anyone says, he's been apart of College Basketball as long as I've been watching it and will hate when he is no longer associated with the game. He does so much raising awareness and money for cancer. Can't hate the guy, even if you don't agree with him. I'm a fan and hope he pulls through yet again!

Fantastic ambassador of the game and an overall great human being. This world could definitely use a lot more Richard John Vitales.

Had no idea you could get vocal cord cancer. Terrible disease. Hope he beats it like the others.

Love DV. I was at UK Bookstore in 95 (I think it was late 95 or early 96, before we won the Championship, but definitely that season) when he had a book signing for Holding Court. He signed my book, and told me the “Cats are awesome baby, with a capital A!” (I asked him what he thought of our team)!

He stood up about 1 minute after he signed my book and just did a random 30 minute speech about competing, working hard, never giving up, etc. it was seriously amazing. I’m sure he had done a variation of that many times, but he made it seem so personal to our crowd, like it was just honest and spur of the moment. I could tell he was seriously passionate about life in general. It was inspiring.

Never forget that.

Had no idea you could get vocal cord cancer. Terrible disease. Hope he beats it like the others.
Im not sure about vocal cord cancer..I have voice box cancer. 35 radiation treatments as well as 6 chemo treatments have both made me lose my voice for a time as well as destroy my saliva glands. Having gone through all of this,no one would wish that on their worst ememies and Vital was never the enemy that Rafters made him out to be. I think that it is great that he seems to be appreciated in this thread.

Im not sure about vocal cord cancer..I have voice box cancer. 35 radiation treatments as well as 6 chemo treatments have both made me lose my voice for a time as well as destroy my saliva glands. Having gone through all of this,no one would wish that on their worst ememies and Vital was never the enemy that Rafters made him out to be. I think that it is great that he seems to be appreciated in this thread.
Prayers fellow BBN fan! Lost both of my parents to cancer.

Reactions: dl51344
Love DV. I was at UK Bookstore in 95 (I think it was late 95 or early 96, before we won the Championship, but definitely that season) when he had a book signing for Holding Court. He signed my book, and told me the “Cats are awesome baby, with a capital A!” (I asked him what he thought of our team)!

He stood up about 1 minute after he signed my book and just did a random 30 minute speech about competing, working hard, never giving up, etc. it was seriously amazing. I’m sure he had done a variation of that many times, but he made it seem so personal to our crowd, like it was just honest and spur of the moment. I could tell he was seriously passionate about life in general. It was inspiring.

Never forget that.
I was there too. It was a cool moment!

But he seems to love doing what he has and loves to be around college basketball and the fans. Not crazy about his Duke rants but hope he beats this again and comes back for one last hurrah.
Hope he beats it, but hope he retires, his commentary is stale and he sucks as a commentator.

He's 84. What else does he have to prove? Spend the rest of your days staring at the ocean.
He loves what he does man. If he couldn't be at games or participating somehow, he'd rather be in the ground.

Sometimes people truly love what they do for a living and never want to quit.

Hope he beats it, but hope he retires, his commentary is stale and he sucks as a commentator.
He has made watching games unbearable. It’s been all about him and his shtick has been a nuisance since the 1990s.

You gotta feel for the guy! Of all types for him to get, this would have to be as tough on him as any other, since he has used his voice to make his living. May God be gracious to him.

Reactions: TeoJ and TexKat
I'm probably in the minority here, but I've always liked Dickie V. The schtick can get old sometimes, but his passion for the game is genuine. He's beat it before and I hope he beats it again. Cancer sucks, but his very positive attitude has taken him far. As someone in a fight against this disease myself, he's an inspiration. Him and Jimmy V were great friends too. Don't give up, don't ever give up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT