ADVERTISEMENT

Dekel Crowdus announcing Sunday...

This has been the hardest position for us to recruit probably because of our style of play. But this kid is legit and will be a great get. Hopefully more difference makers like him will allow us to open it up more.

How does he compare to the kid we lost to Nebraska last year or the year before?
Crowdus is faster straight ahead IMO....probably runs a legit 4.4 forty. And Crowdus is bigger WR.

JuanDale is probably shiftier, ala Bowden, and maybe a stronger runner after catch (and can play RB in spots).

I think for a true WR...Crowdus is better IMO.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
This has been the hardest position for us to recruit probably because of our style of play. But this kid is legit and will be a great get. Hopefully more difference makers like him will allow us to open it up more.

I still think its not accurate to say that last year and and some previous years that this is our style. Injuries at QB and lack of quality depth there, forced the running game on us and we were very successful with it so why change? Now that depth isn't a problem, if we go to a 90% run game this year I will apology for being wrong but I think the receiving corp will be very happy this year if we have a season.

I still think its not accurate to say that last year and and some previous years that this is our style. Injuries at QB and lack of quality depth there, forced the running game on us and we were very successful with it so why change? Now that depth isn't a problem, if we go to a 90% run game this year I will apology for being wrong but I think the receiving corp will be very happy this year if we have a season.
Even Stoops has said he would like to open it up more but we've had more playmakers at RB than QB and WR so we've stuck with running the ball more. We've also recruited better run blocking OT's than pass blocking but Young and Kinnard are good at both. With a healthy TW and having Gatewood and Allen in the wings, may help to open it up even more.

Last edited:
Crowdus is faster straight ahead IMO....probably runs a legit 4.4 forty. And Crowdus is bigger WR.

JuanDale is probably shiftier, ala Bowden, and maybe a stronger runner after catch (and can play RB in spots).

I think for a true WR...Crowdus is better IMO.
Not getting Wright and Moore much bigger than Robinson!

I think we will see some concepts used with Bowden, from now on, but be a 35-40 percent passing team.

Given that all defenses we face are going a tad light to combat the spread, running between the tackles, especially by a QB can make for big yards. Obviously, Georgia and a few others can defend everything, but I think Gran saw potential for more QB runs . . . though no where near the number LBJ ran.

He is fast, the thing we are trying to get more of. We need him. Have to beat a lot of big schools like OH ST, MICH, Texas, etc. We get a few guys like him to have plenty of true speed to go with our success at all other positions our roster will be complete with serious depth in all area's.

I agree. I think we've had a run of 50/50 fault between QBs and WRs as far as reliable passing and reliable hands. Even Lynn had plenty of questionable drops when he was lined up wide before this season.

I love our run game and pound it/physicality that Stoops has instilled. We need a dude who is a surefire hand to get those mid route catches and loosen up the D to keep pounding away at em.

The WRs also deserve a standing O from the fans this season for putting their egos aside and blocking like we needed them to for that offense to work. They definitely deserve some extra tosses their way this season as a thank you.

They definitely deserve some extra tosses their way this season as a thank you.

With very limited opportunities, Ali, Bryce Oliver and Clevan Thomas all had some fine plays in 2019, and about half of them came against Vandy in Nashville. Watch the condensed versions on You Tube, and you would think from that game we threw the ball 35/40 percent of the time.

P
How does he compare to the kid we lost to Nebraska last year or the year before?
Dekel Crowdus is a true receiver with excellent hands and feet. Dekel is very undersized, but has great acceleration. The unknown factor with Dekel is how easily he can add good bulk and strength. I am not suggesting he is a weakling. For his size, he possesses more than enough strength to handle himself in a hs football game in Lexington because he has the added advantage of using his feet to run away from hs defenders. But in the SEC, he will be bumped and pushed around by secondary defenders who are bigger, longer, and almost as fast. Can he take the physical contact, stay on his routes with proper pace, and stay healthy? These answers depend on getting into the gym and working his tail off. That's why a RS season would really help him. I hope quality depth in the slot from Thomas, Hayes, Harris, and Drennen will allow the RS to happen. It should. But it's impossible to project the same kind of physical progress for Harris and Hayes at this point. I like both, but you just don't know yet.

The question we should be asking is how Wandale Robinson compares to Drennen, since their roles are expected to be about the same. If Stoops had signed Robinson, it would have been a lot harder to sign Drennen in our last class. Missing on Robinson left the hybrid role open for Drennen. Of the two, I would rather have Drennen. Not necessarily by a wide margin. But if you know Drennen's history, he is a real warrior with unusual toughness and leadership talent. Drennen is a star scholar student and also a real student of the game. He is bigger than Robinson, although arguably just as dangerous with the football in his hands. Given the whole package, I like Drennen better than Robinson.

Last edited:
Barring a complete last minute change of heart, Crowdus will choose UK. If he makes any other decision, it would be one of the biggest surprises of the recruiting season. With Beau Allen and Joey Gatewood here, UK's offense will be perfect for Crowdus. And we also have one of the best weight training and strength development programs in this part of the country, which he needs. It's fair to say Stoops and Gran have a productive history developing slot receivers. Timmons, Juice, Bowden, Ali.

Last edited:
Barring a complete last minute change of heart, Crowdus will choose UK. If he makes any other decision, it would be one of the biggest surprises of the recruiting season. With Beau Allen and Joey Gatewood here, UK's offense will be perfect for Crowdus. And we also have one of the best weight training and strength development programs in this part of the country, which he needs. It's fair to say Stoops and Gran have a productive history developing slot receivers. Timmons, Juice, Bowden, Ali.
I never really thought about it but pretty much every starting slot has been showcased. We’ve also kept a serviceable backup most years.

I like this.
Some guys are fast on the track but not fast on the football field,” Allen Trieu, a recruiting analyst for 247Sports, told the Herald-Leader. “He’s fast on the football field. He can cut at full speed and create separation. He’s a big-play guy and I think, when you look at what college football and the NFL are moving toward … I think he fits into the mold of next-era receivers.”

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...-football/article242628141.html#storylink=cpy

One of the things that I am curious about is just how fast Crowdus is. The reason being, he has a 'verified' forty time of 4.40. While Henry Ruggs (who ran a 4.28 at the combine), was listed at 4.45 coming out of high school.

I watched his soph tape on KSR...obviously terrific speed, amazing how many times he had to wait on the ball from the QB. He gets by on gas now....maybe he could watch some tape of how Bowden sets up blockers, and jukes people. He could be incredibly special.

Reactions: Smashcat
I watched his soph tape on KSR...obviously terrific speed, amazing how many times he had to wait on the ball from the QB. He gets by on gas now....maybe he could watch some tape of how Bowden sets up blockers, and jukes people. He could be incredibly special.
Agree he will learn proper route running and will have QBs that can deliver him the ball.

Very glad he's a Cat! This guy is the kind of explosive play maker that can completely change an offense...much like a Randall Cobb or Lynn Bowden. And it is always nice to keep the talented local kids at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT