ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Depth

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
For most of my life UK has had a few good defensive players, but some obvious weaknesses in the lineup. Additionally, we’ve historically had zero depth. Injury or fatigue allowed many close games early to get out of reach in the 4th quarter.

Depth and versatility were obvious last Saturday. UK can now give Rypka more snaps against run heavy teams and situations while giving Oxendine more snaps against a team like Ole Miss. Both of these players are now rotational players instead of being relied on to take 70-75% of defensive snaps. It provides depth and versatility for specific need/game situations. (The same depth exists for several positions along the defensive line and secondary.)

Stoops and White have developed the kind of defensive depth the last few years that top SEC defenses have where they can rotate players without much drop off in talent and production.

We need the same development on our OL, but it’s going to take a few recruiting classes (and hopefully continuity) to develop a similar depth on the OL.

I found it somewhat refreshing to see numbers and names I did not recognize but the players were laying the wood and actually looked jacked and confident, especially in our secondary!

think the fact one of our rotation guys (OX) got named lineman of the week makes your point crystal clear. It’s a testament to recruiting and development.

We’re throwing DBs out there and rotating guys with little experience and they are all playing lights out. Matching up on man’s routes and flying up and drilling guys on tackles. Impressive

Reactions: bballcat4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT