ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Backs 2019 Campaign

southindycat

All-SEC
Jun 20, 2013
So, here are the raw materials

Returning Players...:

Safety: Jordan Griffin 6-0 195 SR ****, Davonte Robinson 6-2 205 JR ***, Tyrell Aijan 6-0 190 SO ****, Yusuf Corker 6-0 190 SO ***

Corner: Domonique Williams 5-10 185 SR-JC ***, Cedric Dort 5-11 180 JR ***, Jamari Brown 6-1 190 R-FR ***, Stanley Garner 6-1 175 R-FR ****

JUCO Transfers...

Quandre Moseley 6-2 180 JR-JC **** (unranked; estimate based on offers and JC honors), Brandin Echols 6-0 180 JR-JC ***

True Frosh...

Taj Dodson 6-2 190 FR ***, Moses Douglass 6-2 200 FR ****, Jalen Geiger 6-1 190 FR ***

That's 12 scholarship kids for 4 slots. Not a bad group waiting behind Msrs. Edwards, West, Baity, and Westry. They were young once too, and thrown to the wolves much younger, as I recall.

Barring surprise, I think:

(A) We try to redshirt Douglass and Dodson as future safeties, playing them out of Level 3 of the depth chart only if forced to do so.

(B) We cannot assume Moseley and Echols will win starting Corner jobs. We had gotten thin at Corner, and, no pun intended, Garner remains thin as well (I think). We really only had 2-3 returning scholly CBs who could be counted upon against a physical running game. It will be interesting to see what the strength program does for Garner this off season. He's a predicted monster, but he has to put on some good weight. If he does, I think any of the returning CBs might grab a starting job over the JUCOs, and particularly him (Garner).

(C) Jordan Griffin is your primary Nickel.

I'm optimistic about this group, particularly with the resources we are devoting to coaching up our DBs.

Thoughts? Am I missing a matter of common knowledge?

Could the staff try and move Aijan or Corker to CB?

I feel like Moses Douglas is physically ready to play at Safety this season.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
(A) We try to redshirt Douglass and Dodson as future safeties, playing them out of Level 3 of the depth chart only if forced to do so.

This is why I love the new RS rule where these guys are allowed to play in up to four games without losing their redshirt year. They will be available without penalty in case the injury bug bites at their position.

This is why I love the new RS rule where these guys are allowed to play in up to four games without losing their redshirt year. They will be available without penalty in case the injury bug bites at their position.
They should let em play up to 12 without losing their Rs.

Returning Players...:

Safety: Jordan Griffin 6-0 195 SR ****, Davonte Robinson 6-2 205 JR ***, Tyrell Aijan 6-0 190 SO ****, Yusuf Corker 6-0 190 SO ***

Corner: Domonique Williams 5-10 185 SR-JC ***, Cedric Dort 5-11 180 JR ***, Jamari Brown 6-1 190 R-FR ***, Stanley Garner 6-1 175 R-FR ****

JUCO Transfers...

Quandre Moseley 6-2 180 JR-JC **** (unranked; estimate based on offers and JC honors), Brandin Echols 6-0 180 JR-JC ***

True Frosh...

Taj Dodson 6-2 190 FR ***, Moses Douglass 6-2 200 FR ****, Jalen Geiger 6-1 190 FR ***

That's 12 scholarship kids for 4 slots. Not a bad group waiting behind Msrs. Edwards, West, Baity, and Westry. They were young once too, and thrown to the wolves much younger, as I recall.

(B) We cannot assume Moseley and Echols will win starting Corner jobs. We had gotten thin at Corner, and, no pun intended, Garner remains thin as well (I think). We really only had 2-3 returning scholly CBs who could be counted upon against a physical running game. It will be interesting to see what the strength program does for Garner this off season. He's a predicted monster, but he has to put on some good weight. If he does, I think any of the returning CBs might grab a starting job over the JUCOs, and particularly him (Garner).

I'm optimistic about this group, particularly with the resources we are devoting to coaching up our DBs.

The 4 returning players I have total confidence in. All 4 did good things and it looks like Robinson and possibly Aijan are candidates for star status. Griffin is more of a solid contributor but has the advantage of playing basically everyone of the DB spots at one time or another. I believe he might return to corner in the spring.

Of the new comers not much is known yet but I believe it's a foregone conclusion that Douglas and Mosley play in some capacity. We still need at least 2 more to really step up.

Oh, same here. I guess I really meant to say we try to hold them to 4 participations.

The 4 returning players I have total confidence in. All 4 did good things and it looks like Robinson and possibly Aijan are candidates for star status. Griffin is more of a solid contributor but has the advantage of playing basically everyone of the DB spots at one time or another. I believe he might return to corner in the spring.

Of the new comers not much is known yet but I believe it's a foregone conclusion that Douglas and Mosley play in some capacity. We still need at least 2 more to really step up.
I have much confidence in the safety group as well. But, unlike you (I think?) it seems to me their experience and development will limit Douglass and Dodson, though I suppose either or both might see Sp Teams snaps weekly regardless.

Raw and inexperienced as a group, but solid talent wise. I heard Robinson's name called a lot in the Bowl game, I think he's going to make a big move next season.

Agreed. The talent is there, the experience is a drop off.

That being said, JRow recently did a piece talking about the DB corps. Robinson was singled out as playing a lot last yr and graded out rather high on most occasions. He'll have some experience coupled with his uber-talent. He could be big......very big.....

Returning Players...:

JUCO Transfers...

True Frosh...

Be totally surprised if Moses doesn't play from day one.

Hard to match play of Edwards and West, even if corners play well. Robinson can spell Edwards, about 2 degrees lower, but West's replacement?
Both were great at attacking the hole and sure tacklers.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
If you recall JRow's notes on Thomas when he camped at UK Clevan was really very good at DB in those camps as well. JRow said he was very tenacious and competitive at DB. He certainly looks like he could knock your ass straight out.

If you recall JRow's notes on Thomas when he camped at UK Clevan was really very good at DB in those camps as well. JRow said he was very tenacious and competitive at DB. He certainly looks like he could knock your ass straight out.
I agree. Thought he looked like a defender the first time I saw a photo of him... too stout to waste it at slot. He should be knocking the snot out of slots, not playing slot. I feel I could do more with "snot" and "slot", but should avoid making some sort of dad joke. Funny I forgot to include him. I was pretty excited to learn he was running with the DBs in bowl practice.

I remember Stoops raving about Garner last summer so we should be excited about him. I think he’ll get some major PT. He’ll need to put on some weight, however, unless he wants to end up like Westry, who couldn’t tackle my 6 year old nephew in the open field...

I remember Stoops raving about Garner last summer so we should be excited about him. I think he’ll get some major PT. He’ll need to put on some weight, however, unless he wants to end up like Westry, who couldn’t tackle my 6 year old nephew in the open field...
While I agree that Westry was a disappointment he could tackle in the open field. Remember when he body slammed the big TE from USCe who tried to hurdle him?

He's going to be a star for sure, but I think they would like to save his redshirt if possible and we seem to be OK right now at safety.

He is on campus now. The best safeties will play. I don’t think this staff saves RSs when the frosh is as good or better than the upper classman.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
While I agree that Westry was a disappointment he could tackle in the open field. Remember when he body slammed the big TE from USCe who tried to hurdle him?

That's literally the only good tackle he had in four years. Luckily for him, the te tried to hurdle him.

Westry was maybe the worst tackling defender in D1

I really look forward to seeing Clevan as a DB. I like the that he has experience as a receiver and a DB, and the size and speed to be a really good DB. GO CATS!!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
That's literally the only good tackle he had in four years. Luckily for him, the te tried to hurdle him.

Westry was maybe the worst tackling defender in D1
Say what you want about him but I would love to have him back another year.

This is major hyperbole. Westry is a fringe NFL prospect and played very well most the time.

Was good in coverage. Awful tackler. Constantly just tried slinging or wrestling people down. Bizarre for someone that size. He usually got them down, but it was ugly

So would I.

This is major hyperbole. Westry is a fringe NFL prospect and played very well most the time.

Was good in coverage. Awful tackler. Constantly just tried slinging or wrestling people down. Bizarre for someone that size. He usually got them down, but it was ugly

So would I.

The biggest issue I thought he had this year was containing the outside run. I cannot remember how many big runs occurred b/c Westry got beat to the sideline.

I don't know if he took bad angles b/c he read the play wrong or just overestimated his own speed, but regardless of the cause, I HATED to see a run to his side if he was isolated out there...even if there was no blocker.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
The biggest issue I thought he had this year was containing the outside run. I cannot remember how many big runs occurred b/c Westry got beat to the sideline.

I don't know if he took bad angles b/c he read the play wrong or just overestimated his own speed, but regardless of the cause, I HATED to see a run to his side if he was isolated out there...even if there was no blocker.

Yep. Uga and ut off top of my head. Took really flat angles giving up huge plays in the run game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT