ADVERTISEMENT

Deer Attack

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018
So my wife was due to deliver our 4th this past Sunday. Flash forward to Monday afternoon...she decides to run out and get us a mid afternoon coffee. A deer hit our van on US27....yes the dear hit our van, not the other way around.

She was driving northbound on 27 (4 total lanes) in a commercial area. Deer came sprinting across southbound lanes and tried to jump the van, hit driver side door and flipped over hood landing on windshield and then road. Wife never saw it, a couple of people stopped and had to tell her what happened.

Thank God my wife is 100% ok, airbag didn't deploy assuming due to side impact. Van in bad shape though. Will need a new door, mirror, fender, windshield and maybe hood. 2-3 weeks is best case scenario assuming they can get parts. Damage ended up being $9K.

Deer, not so lucky. Don't mess with a pregnant soccer mom in a minivan.

Any of you all hit a Deer or had one hit you?

This is our second incident of being attacked by a Deer...happened to me less than a 1/4 of a mile from where it happened to my wife.

Lastly, healthy baby girl delivered Wednesday afternoon.

Lots of experience with deer in WV. One of my friends moms was killed hitting a buck as antlers went through windshield. My most recent was in December a deer literally jumped in the road and I clipped him with my right bumper. It was cold and rainy so kept driving. I was literally headed to carmax to turn in my car to sell it 😂. I was freaking out the whole time that it would blow the deal but they never mentioned anything (I had blood but no dent) so guess all good. Deer are f*cking morons.

Last edited:
DW's friend was getting groceries out of the trunk and a buck stuck his head inside trunk alongside her. She swatted him away.

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
Mom was driving in a toyota yarris think like this in about 2013/2014 at night coming home from work
aXMtcHIuanBn

and a deer hit her head on. Car was totaled and she walked away with a ruffled shirt and bruises. Congrats on the baby girl btw.

Happened in TN to my grandma they weren’t paying attention and a deer was in the road - car was totaled and they had to get a rental car for the rest of the way home.

• Sad
Been hit twice. Both times deer was running and slammed into my side drivers door. Once on a country road, once on a highway. Both times ended badly for the deer.

My theory: Deer aren't evolutionarily equipped to handle cars. When faced with danger, their instincts tell them to do one of two things: either freeze, and hope they aren't seen; or run, and hope to outrun the danger.

With the prey that has chased them for thousands of years, those strategies worked somewhat well.

With cars, those instincts are completely wrong. They get caught in headlights, and their instinct is to freeze - right in the middle of the road in front of an oncoming car. Or they're moving, and their instinct tells them to try to outrun the danger. But they're not gonna outrun a car.

Living here in the mountains of WNC, driving is like playing the old video game " Frogger " Deer are constantly everywhere. I have counted 17 in my front yard before. I was working on my riding mower last fall in my garage and a 7 point buck come up and stuck his head in my garage, looked around, and just strolled away

Had a near miss on an off ramp on my way to Florida this past Saturday night. I stopped to get something to eat on the trip but got down the road a ways before drinking my drink that turned out to be unsweetened tea (asked for Coke). So down past Etown I stopped to get a Coke at a gas station and that off ramp a deer ran right out in front of me. Was able to miss it since I was starting to slow down. Maybe I could have sued McDonalds if I hit it. It was their fault I had to stop. 😆

In order to get to the farm I grew up on, you had to drive about 2 miles down the 2 lane paved road to get there with peach and apple tress on both sides of the road. That drive was always a game of dodge deer, especially at dusk and at night ….deer everywhere feasting on the fruit from those orchards.

So my wife was due to deliver our 4th this past Sunday. Flash forward to Monday afternoon...she decides to run out and get us a mid afternoon coffee. A deer hit our van on US27....yes the dear hit our van, not the other way around.

She was driving northbound on 27 (4 total lanes) in a commercial area. Deer came sprinting across southbound lanes and tried to jump the van, hit driver side door and flipped over hood landing on windshield and then road. Wife never saw it, a couple of people stopped and had to tell her what happened.

Thank God my wife is 100% ok, airbag didn't deploy assuming due to side impact. Van in bad shape though. Will need a new door, mirror, fender, windshield and maybe hood. 2-3 weeks is best case scenario assuming they can get parts. Damage ended up being $9K.

This is our second incident of being attacked by a Deer...happened to me less than a 1/4 of a mile from where it happened to my wife.

A friend of mine, who is in his 70's, lives about a mile from his job and usually rides his vespa to work if it's not raining or cold. Anyway he had started to work one morning before daylight and as he was going down the road he caught the glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye beside him. Just as he realized it was a doe running along beside him she turned to run across the road and instead leaped right into his lap. He was trying to get stopped and she was kicking and flopping trying to get off the Vespa. Luckily he didn't wreck but she did break the mirror and speedometer off of his vespa before she got away. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

A friend of mine, who is in his 70's, lives about a mile from his job and usually rides his vespa to work if it's not raining or cold. Anyway he had started to work one morning before daylight and as he was going down the road he caught the glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye beside him. Just as he realized it was a doe running along beside him she turned to run across the road and instead leaped right into his lap. He was trying to get stopped and she was kicking and flopping trying to get off the Vespa. Luckily he didn't wreck but she did break the mirror and speedometer off of his vespa before she got away. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That is insane! Lucky to be alive!

Congrats on the girl. I have two and I am wrapped around their fingers (when they are behaving.)

Luckily there were not many deers.......if you know you know.

I have never hit a deer but like your wife I’ve had 2 hit me one on a country road it hit me in my back door it knocked it down and it got up and staggered between my car and another car behind me another time like your wife I was on a us route it came across two lanes thru a medium and lol hit me in the back quarter panel

From last month. Deer just walked in the road like he owned it. Amazing flipped the deer into the windshield and that was the only damage. Deer hit up and ran off.

• Wow
Reactions: Burgcatfan
Lots of deer here in Indiana, big corn fed-four-legged IEDs. A buddy of mine hit one in an old Ford pickup, on the driver's front fender. The deer's hind quarters spun around and through the open window proceeded to defecate all over him and the inside of the truck. Covered him in blood and fecal matter. I shat ye not.

• Haha
Reactions: GumboCats
Used to go to upper Michigan bow hunting. Run into a bunch of guys that rig their p/u truck front bumper with a long hydraulic steel rod which they used to hit deer on the side of the road. That’s how they got meat. They only killed doe’s with no fawns and no bucks. The roads up their are flat with no ditches so they would drive down the road, see a doe that just left the tree line standing on the side getting ready to cross, they would hit this switch that would extend the rod 3-4 feet and kaboom. Not very sporting but no one cares. Probably 100 times more dear than people.

ADVERTISEMENT