ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Day one thoughts from Atlanta EYBL

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
Orlando Antigua and Bruiser Flint were on hand. Let's start with a couple of player notes. Boogie Fland is much bigger in person than I expected. He's a good 6-3 to 6-4 with a nice basketball frame, and long arms. He will be one of those bigger point guards in college like Coach Cal appreciates. Tre Johnson is a complete player worthy of his very high ranking. He's a good 6-6, physically developed, and extremely athletic. He already looks like a college player. We interviewed him after the game. He didn't have anything interesting to say about recruitment. He has been through this song and dance over and over, and he is guarded but still talkative to a degree. He did say that NIL was not an issue to him because the NBA is where the money is going to be.

Billy Richmond has a ways to go on the offensive side of the ball, but he an energetic defender who likes to put his hand in the dirt. He told us that is what Cal is all about, and that is what he is all about as well. It is obvious he is not used to the interview game. He is not guarded and is very transparent. He likes John Calipari. His family likes John Calipari (especially his mom), and Wagner and Bradshaw are recruiting him. I'll watch more of the other players tomorrow.

I'm not so sure the coaching staff thinks the roster is taking shape. It sounds as if they understand the uncertainty, are bracing for anything that happens, and then will make moves once it finalizes. There are some excellent 2025's that the staff is watching. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bypass some of the current juniors who haven't been offered yet, and look toward some 2025 reclasses. Koa Peat could be an example. He got an offer tonight at the Adidas event in Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News