ADVERTISEMENT

David Wohlabaugh is in the transfer portal

He was given every opportunity in the world to take over EITHER Tackle spot. The SEC is UNFORGIVING and the timetable at this level for an O-Lineman is longer than most other positions. But once you're passed up, it's hard to come back to the top of the depth chart.

Good luck to this young man.

I guess I was confused with the transfer portal window because it just closed today, I believe. I thought you had to transfer within that window but I guess you only have to put your name in the portal within that timeframe showing your intent to transfer?

This could be good for UK because I knew we were at like 82 scholarships and was disappointed we didn’t fill the openings, especially at QB and ILB. This gives us time to fill them.

I guess I was confused with the transfer portal window because it just closed today, I believe. I thought you had to transfer within that window but I guess you only have to put your name in the portal within that timeframe showing your intent to transfer?

This could be good for UK because I knew we were at like 82 scholarships and was disappointed we didn’t fill the openings, especially at QB and ILB. This gives us time to fill them.

Some compliance offices are closed today, so they may not get the request until Monday morning. Then it has 48 hours to announce the name officially. So technically some kids name could not be known till Wed.

Exactly, the deadline was to put your name in to be eligible to play in 2023. If a player did get in during the window they could take all the way to August to enroll.

Best of luck to David. Hardly ever heard his name mention during Spring.

He was given every opportunity in the world to take over EITHER Tackle spot.
I agree, but his snaps were as a very young underclassman. Most of our OL contributors haven’t contributed much until yrs 3-5, with most coming in years 4 &5.

His early starts last year made us think he was ahead of schedule. We now know they were grasping at straws. I don’t pretend to know if he would ever progressed into the 2 deep rotation. The OL transfer doesn’t surprise me with the latest incoming transfer. I do question whether any of our young OL will contribute. I hope Rodriguez and Hall contribute. We’ll find out this year if Yenser or Scangarello was the problem. OL was fine when Coen was first here. Granted, Big John’s fingerprints were still on the room.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Most P5 offensive linemen need 3 years to develop their bodies for real playing time, that`s as a redshirt sophomore. By then the coaches will know if they`ll make it or not. If I`m not mistaking, I once heard a coach say, we need to recruit 5 offensive linemen in every recruiting class. Some will have injuries and most won`t make it.
But we need to recruit high school tackles and keep them to see it they could develop by their junior years. This is the second we`ve lost to the portal.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I agree, but his snaps were as a very young underclassman. Most of our OL contributors haven’t contributed much until yrs 3-5, with most coming in years 4 &5.

His early starts last year made us think he was ahead of schedule. We now know they were grasping at straws. I don’t pretend to know if he would ever progressed into the 2 deep rotation. The OL transfer doesn’t surprise me with the latest incoming transfer. I do question whether any of our young OL will contribute. I hope Rodriguez and Hall contribute. We’ll find out this year if Yenser or Scangarello was the problem. OL was fine when Coen was first here. Granted, Big John’s fingerprints were still on the room.
I talked to someone that has coached around him. He said he was all the size and skill but just wasnt mentally tough enough. When UK has had good lines they had a bunch tough nasty dudes. Drake, stenberg, DK. Toth, Fortner, etc. Even less skilled guys like the kid feom Belfry. They wanted to take out whoever was in feont of them. We have a few that just dont have that

It seems like adding Ford was a pretty big indicator that Wohlabaugh wasn't being counted on for significant snaps this year. In view of how little we rotated last year, may e DW saw the writing on the wall.that he wasn't going to develop much this year.

Agree with Rowland in that it's a bad loss. He had all the tools. Was thrust into the fire too soon as rs LT. Maybe he will return
I'd hardly call this a bad loss...

1. Granted he was a RS FR last year.....but he was as bad an Oline (that played) since Stoops first year. He was overmatched vs. MAC DLine.....and he comes into Ole Miss game and gives up game ending strip sack (LEvis should have seen it).
2. He wasn't going to play zip this upcoming year.....Cox, Ford, Flax and Buford are all ahead of him
3. He best shot was to play as as RS Jr in 2024....Ford was going to take one tackle spot. I'd argue UK will hit the portal again in 2024 for a tackle. It just seems you can do it that way vs. recruit and develop (which I hate).

He was a RS Frosh with all the tools and the pedigree. He was supposed to be a big part of last year's o-line but was singled out early and often for mistakes on an extremely mistake prone line. I think it's a positive he's leaving now and not at the end of last season or early in Spring. I think it shows not a lack of mental toughness or that he was miserable here but that with Spring practice complete, other players have progressed beyond him. At least that's my interpretation from the outside.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I'd hardly call this a bad loss...

1. Granted he was a RS FR last year.....but he was as bad an Oline (that played) since Stoops first year. He was overmatched vs. MAC DLine.....and he comes into Ole Miss game and gives up game ending strip sack (LEvis should have seen it).
2. He wasn't going to play zip this upcoming year.....Cox, Ford, Flax and Buford are all ahead of him
3. He best shot was to play as as RS Jr in 2024....Ford was going to take one tackle spot. I'd argue UK will hit the portal again in 2024 for a tackle. It just seems you can do it that way vs. recruit and develop (which I hate).

He was a RS Frosh with all the tools and the pedigree. He was supposed to be a big part of last year's o-line but was singled out early and often for mistakes on an extremely mistake prone line. I think it's a positive he's leaving now and not at the end of last season or early in Spring. I think it shows not a lack of mental toughness or that he was miserable here but that with Spring practice complete, other players have progressed beyond him. At least that's my interpretation from the outside.

This is correct. He had the size, feet, and pedigree to be very good. He just needed time. Last year he wasn't ready and thrown into action early because we lost dare a year early. The entire line botched twists at the first of the year but he took the heat and Jager was continually bailed out.

Yes we can hope to keep filling tackle by portal but we saw last year what happens when we come up empty.

Reactions: gamecockcat
This is correct. He had the size, feet, and pedigree to be very good. He just needed time. Last year he wasn't ready and thrown into action early because we lost dare a year early. The entire line botched twists at the first of the year but he took the heat and Jager was continually bailed out.

Yes we can hope to keep filling tackle by portal but we saw last year what happens when we come up empty.
Wohlbaugh wasn't any closer to playing next year....the RT spot was wide open and he wasn't really close to being good enough as Flax/Buford were ahead of him and UK still grabbed a portal tackle....that aught to tell you plenty. And now we're talking 3rd year in the program.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Agree with Rowland in that it's a bad loss. He had all the tools. Was thrust into the fire too soon as rs LT. Maybe he will return
I would think he has the tools. The staff saw his potential. Someone last year, Yenser or Sang or someone else, pushed him into action too soon. I don’t know what he was doing in practice to win the job, but he seemed lost in the games and once he was removed from the rotation, I don’t think he ever returned. It was a really weird situation. I felt for him then and am sorry he is leaving now. I wish him the best. I assumed with more instruction and getting stronger, he would have returned to the rotation at some time.

This isn’t true. If you like at the guys we have had that got drafted and competed at a high level they played fairly early. Landon young FR, Darian Kinnard Fr, Drake Jackson RS FR, Jon Toth Soph, Logan Stenberg RS FR, Luke Fortner Soph, Kenneth Horsey Soph, Stallings Soph, Jager Burton RS FR. Pretty much we new fairly early when we had a player on the OL

Some of y'all are really short sighted. Judging a redshirt freshman O Tackle on his first month of play? He should have been developing and sitting behind upper classmen. I think wherever he ends up his play as a 4th & 5th year CFB o linemen will make us regret he didn't stick around.

I would think he has the tools. The staff saw his potential. Someone last year, Yenser or Sang or someone else, pushed him into action too soon. I don’t know what he was doing in practice to win the job, but he seemed lost in the games and once he was removed from the rotation, I don’t think he ever returned. It was a really weird situation. I felt for him then and am sorry he is leaving now. I wish him the best. I assumed with more instruction and getting stronger, he would have returned to the rotation at some time.

Some of y'all are really short sighted. Judging a redshirt freshman O Tackle on his first month of play? He should have been developing and sitting behind upper classmen. I think wherever he ends up his play as a 4th & 5th year CFB o linemen will make us regret he didn't stick around.

Yep. He struggled with twists at a time when the entire OL struggled with them. For whatever reason, they all acted like they never saw a stunt before. He was benched for it and Jager kept being praised even though he continued to miss them all season even after everyone else finally got it figured out.

All that said, there is a chance he can return. Iirc this was the last day to go in the portal. So maybe he wanted to preserve his right to look for other opportunities and will just return, but his social media statement didn't sound that way

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
If you like at the guys we have had that got drafted and competed at a high level they played fairly early
I agree with you that our BEST OL have contributed earlier than others. However, I think the solid (not great) ones were contributing in years 3-5. Having said that, I think this would've been his 3rd year and it appears he was buried on the depth chart.

As of today, most of our outgoing transfers are not getting meaningful snaps (not all ...ex - Rogers) and are being replaced with incoming transfers that will contribute this year. That certainly improves the overall roster. However, our OL recruiting/development needs to improve to point where organic players are major contributors and we're filling a hole here and there with incoming transfers. I think Ford was our 3rd incoming OL transfer and 2 of them will be starters. That doesn't speak well about recruiting/development.

Now, I think that room understandably got out of balance with rercruiting with John's tragic situation. HS players knew that room was not stable. This year's class needs to include a few studs!

Wasn't this player moved to OG late in the year?

What needs to happen is these young OL need to be developed and we haven't seen that of late. Bingham, Hall, big Malachi, Ramsey, Rodriquez, the young '24 commits....those guys need to be turned into SEC linemen. Will it happen? It had better.

Reactions: ACT ONE
Now Buford in the portal. Not sure what prompted the take of that OT but it's causing a chain of events that we can hopefully absorb

Doesn't make sense for Flax to stay his last yr, plain as day Ford was brought here to take his starting spot

Surprised he wasn't the first to go, unless he's been told he will be the starter, which bumped these other guys down.

Jmo but will be disappointed if someone couldn't step up and take that spot.

Doesn't make sense for Flax to stay his last yr, plain as day Ford was brought here to take his starting spot
I have no idea what Flax's plans are but he has his degree, could stay to work on his Masters. Makes perfect sense to stay.

I have no idea what Flax's plans are but he has his degree, could stay to work on his Masters. Makes perfect sense to stay.
Yeah - if he is resigning himself to a life post college of going pro in something other than sports

Or if he still has a gleem of a dream to earn a paycheck playing professional tackle football, he probably needs to go elsewhere where he will def start in 2023, to put great film on tape for draft evaluation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT