ADVERTISEMENT

Darius Miller

I love how he just turned and immediately stalked off instead of towering over his opponent. Like he knew he would lose it so he deliberately turned his back. What a G.
If I remember correctly, I believe he turned and yelled something at Cal. I remember something about that when this dunk happened. Maybe the tv commentators said it.

Dude came to U.K. even under BCG. Not a Cal guy at all, pure Kentucky guy.

Nah gonna have to say no. Miller came to UK before Calipari and Calipari in all honestly might not have even recruited him to UK. Before Calipari got to UK Miller was heavily recruited by UT but Memphis never made contact. Miller like Sheppard would have never played anywhere but UK. Most of his playing career was under Calipari but when I think of calling someone a “Cal Guy” that infers a certain quality that suggest loyalty toward the coach first. This is like Cousins, Rose, or like Wagner recently. Miller is loyal to Kentucky not Calipari which is why you’re seeing him at the press conference and coming out recently more than ever, he wants it known the opposite that he’s not a Cal guy he’s a UK guy. And I do believe this distinctions has some significance right now given the situation since Calipari left. You clearly had players defining where their loyalty lied and Miller has been pretty obvious and clear he wants it known his is with Kentucky. Usually I’d say who cares and call it whatever but it seems the distinction matters right now.

time is funny.

Up until his senior year people called him “Disapperious Miller” as I recall.

It’s always nice to think how he proved those people wrong by accepting his role and excelling at it. Shame injuries killed his pro career.

Reactions: will1976
Nah gonna have to say no. Miller came to UK before Calipari and Calipari in all honestly might not have even recruited him to UK. Before Calipari got to UK Miller was heavily recruited by UT but Memphis never made contact. Miller like Sheppard would have never played anywhere but UK. Most of his playing career was under Calipari but when I think of calling someone a “Cal Guy” that infers a certain quality that suggest loyalty toward the coach first. This is like Cousins, Rose, or like Wagner recently. Miller is loyal to Kentucky not Calipari which is why you’re seeing him at the press conference and coming out recently more than ever, he wants it known the opposite that he’s not a Cal guy he’s a UK guy. And I do believe this distinctions has some significance right now given the situation since Calipari left. You clearly had players defining where their loyalty lied and Miller has been pretty obvious and clear he wants it known his is with Kentucky. Usually I’d say who cares and call it whatever but it seems the distinction matters right now.
Stop it. Darius wasn't your typical Kentucky kid. He was a consensus top 50 player and a Parade All-American coming out of high school. Calipari would have recruited him at UK. The love for the "Calipari hates in-state kids" theory never ends.

Stop it. Darius wasn't your typical Kentucky kid. He was a consensus top 50 player and a Parade All-American coming out of high school. Calipari would have recruited him at UK. The love for the "Calipari hates in-state kids" theory never ends.
Yeah, I never bought into that. There was a lot to piss and moan about, about Cal, but that truly wasn't one of them.

I mean, he played Willis quite a bit.

Reactions: Zissou87

Calipari didn’t like dealing with the state kids in ways because he only likes using a certain number of scholarships and he wants to recruit what he wants to recruit. There were state kids who he’d get of course, I don’t believe they were anything much more than to keep people happy. One of the things Barnhart and the brass were wanting him to do was retain more in state kids there’s a reason it was ever an issue in the first place.

Darius Miller really doesn’t fit the mold of what Calipari wants. He’s not overly athletic, he’s not a 5 star player, he wasn’t viewed as a future pro at that time. At least not a quick path track one. There’s a chance he might have recruited him but if I had to put money on it, I’d definitely without hesitation say he would have gone all in on Scotty Hopson who was seen as a future pro, who was very athletic and higher rated, to check the “I’ve got a Kentucky kid” box. It’s not as simple as “well he recruited Hawkins so he definitely would have recruited Miller”. These are different situations and I’d bet he never truly wanted a kid like Hawkins anyway. Hood was almost assuredly to appease the fans of the blue blood early on. He eased into changing our culture to an extent.

Some of you are going to have to accept Calipari is what he is and a lot of that is going to be negative from the perceptions of Kentucky fans. Yes he might have recruited Darius but I definitely would not put money on it if I had the chance. Also notice he was at Memphis, not too far from Darius, and never picked the phone up. You have zero evidence what so ever that Calipari would have recruited Miller. The guy never started him either.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I feel like this run as the SEC Tournament MVP in 2011 was the turning point for Miller in his UK career. Never looked back from that point on.

Yep. And this is proof you can be a Top 50 guy and still need time to develop into a great player.

Now it's throw and go, and kids think if they don't make it after year one they are not going to make it.

Calipari didn’t like dealing with the state kids in ways because he only likes using a certain number of scholarships and he wants to recruit what he wants to recruit. There were state kids who he’d get of course, I don’t believe they were anything much more than to keep people happy. One of the things Barnhart and the brass were wanting him to do was retain more in state kids there’s a reason it was ever an issue in the first place.

Darius Miller really doesn’t fit the mold of what Calipari wants. He’s not overly athletic, he’s not a 5 star player, he wasn’t viewed as a future pro at that time. At least not a quick path track one. There’s a chance he might have recruited him but if I had to put money on it, I’d definitely without hesitation say he would have gone all in on Scotty Hopson who was seen as a future pro, who was very athletic and higher rated, to check the “I’ve got a Kentucky kid” box. It’s not as simple as “well he recruited Hawkins so he definitely would have recruited Miller”. These are different situations and I’d bet he never truly wanted a kid like Hawkins anyway. Hood was almost assuredly to appease the fans of the blue blood early on. He eased into changing our culture to an extent.

Some of you are going to have to accept Calipari is what he is and a lot of that is going to be negative from the perceptions of Kentucky fans. Yes he might have recruited Darius but I definitely would not put money on it if I had the chance. Also notice he was at Memphis, not too far from Darius, and never picked the phone up. You have zero evidence what so ever that Calipari would have recruited Miller. The guy never started him either.
Where did you get that Darius never started?

Where did you get that Darius never started?

I mean he was never considered a starter outside of situations that I can recall. His senior year he came off the bench. I don’t remember Darius having a starters role on the team. I’d have to look but that’s how I remember it. Trying to recall 2011. I think I remember him starting that season when I think about the tournament. I know there were some times he started but it was never a defined role that I can recall. As in Darius is the starter on the team throughout the season. He always made attempts to recruit others too.

But no there’s no indication either way that Calipari would recruit Darius Miller he would have likely taken Hopson who fits his style and passed. Just think of Calipari’s style of recruit, it doesn’t fit Darius. And of Hopson was on the team you’ve got the Kentucky kid box checked. Cal doesn’t make it a habbit of throwing around 13 scholarships.

Many people have talked about this very thing for years and always found it humorous that without a kid he didn’t and likely wouldn’t have recruited he has zero titles for a career. It still amazes me when I think about it. Again, Calipari never made
a single phone call to Miller at Memphis so theres that too, but tennessee recruited him heavily. Cal passed.

Last edited:
Reactions: will1976
I mean he was never considered a starter outside of situations that I can recall. His senior year he came off the bench. I don’t remember Darius having a starters role on the team. I’d have to look but that’s how I remember it. Trying to recall 2011. I think I remember him starting that season when I think about the tournament. I know there were some times he started but it was never a defined role that I can recall. As in Darius is the starter on the team throughout the season. He always made attempts to recruit others too.

But no there’s no indication either way that Calipari would recruit Darius Miller he would have likely taken Hopson who fits his style and passed. Just think of Calipari’s style of recruit, it doesn’t fit Darius. And of Hopson was on the team you’ve got the Kentucky kid box checked. Cal doesn’t make it a habbit of throwing around 13 scholarships.

Many people have talked about this very thing for years and always found it humorous that without a kid he didn’t and likely wouldn’t have recruited he has zero titles for a career. It still amazes me when I think about it. Again, Calipari never made
a single phone call to Miller at Memphis so theres that too, but tennessee recruited him heavily. Cal passed.
He started his sophomore and junior years

He started his sophomore and junior years

All season? I’ll admit I don’t remember that but it’s been what 15 years. I’d think I’d remember it but I guess not. I’ll take your word for it I’m way too lazy to look. But I still don’t think it changes the fact that Calipari would have recruited both Miller and Hopson to UK instead just Hopson and I also don’t believe Calipari was a huge fan of Kentucky players in general because they took a lot of spotlight away from his recruits and himself, and also I’ll admit many of them didn’t have the style he preferred. But I will never believe he would have recruited Miller to UK so there’s no need in stopping anything lol. And all the evidence, although situational, suggest he wouldn’t have. All the factual evidence we can look to is the type of player he recruited and the fact that he didn’t recruit him to Memphis at all. I’d have to go back and look maybe you can recall, but I’d almost bet he at least tried to recruit over him as well.

**edit I think I’m just thinking so much about his senior season after time I’ve just settled at 6th man for career. I’m remembering he took the role because of MKG and was okay with it. Darius was just an all around beast of a guy and player. We don’t see those anymore (Reed maybe).

That brings up another point about this 6th man thing. I never had any issues with Darius starting as 6th man. Never. It was situational and totally called for. This season neither player he kept on the bench to start was called for and it killed our momentum and situational best lineup during the games. But Miller is a great example of a true 6th man in that situation. Reed and Dilly absolutely not and I think it’s what destroyed Calipari in the end.

Last edited:
All season? I’ll admit I don’t remember that but it’s been what 15 years. I’d think I’d remember it but I guess not. I’ll take your word for it I’m way too lazy to look. But I still don’t think it changes the fact that Calipari would have recruited both Miller and Hopson to UK instead just Hopson and I also don’t believe Calipari was a huge fan of Kentucky players in general because they took a lot of spotlight away from his recruits and himself, and also I’ll admit many of them didn’t have the style he preferred. But I will never believe he would have recruited Miller to UK so there’s no need in stopping anything lol. And all the evidence, although situational, suggest he wouldn’t have. All the factual evidence we can look to is the type of player he recruited and the fact that he didn’t recruit him to Memphis at all. I’d have to go back and look maybe you can recall, but I’d almost bet he at least tried to recruit over him as well.

**edit I think I’m just thinking so much about his senior season after time I’ve just settled at 6th man for career. I’m remembering he took the role because of MKG and was okay with it. Darius was just an all around beast of a guy and player. We don’t see those anymore (Reed maybe).

That brings up another point about this 6th man thing. I never had any issues with Darius starting as 6th man. Never. It was situational and totally called for. This season neither player he kept on the bench to start was called for and it killed our momentum and situational best lineup during the games. But Miller is a great example of a true 6th man in that situation. Reed and Dilly absolutely not and I think it’s what destroyed Calipari in the end.
My issue is the theory that "Cal didn't like recruiting Kentucky kids". The reason he didn’t recruit them is because for the most part, the talent wasn't there. He couldn't win with less talent.

I always go to these two questions for the "Cal doesn't like Kentucky kids" conspiracy:

1.) How many players did Cal recruit out-of-state, that were also outside of the top 50 in their class?

2.) Also, how many in-state kids that were ranked in the top 50 did Cal not recruit?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT