ADVERTISEMENT

Damage Done?

jlkirk

Sophomore
Dec 4, 2005
Has the damage been done? That is, given all that has gone down, could Coach Coen come back and succeed?

It’s wild how some of you folks act like Stoops is the first coach to ever entertain a better job opening. A&M is a step up from UK. I don’t like saying that but it’s true, and their resources for football are far greater than ours. I don’t blame him for being interested in that job. I’m glad he’s back.

There’s a lot to be upset about Stoops over, but coming ack to UK after A&M having interest in him, no matter how it went down (and we probably won’t know the whole story for a long time, if ever), is a positive for us. And I’d be willing to bet Stoops was going to try and take Coen with him, not just leave him hanging with no place to go.

Coaches have conversations with other teams all the time. Granted, UK is not used to coordinators having offers from NFL and top football programs. Head coaches also have conversations about possibly taking other jobs.

UK is not Michigan regarding football, but Harbaugh has flirted with NFL each of the last several years. Has it hurt his team or his recruiting?

I hope Coen returns to UK. I think he can help UK get to the next level. However, I'm convinced he wants to eventually get back to NFL and I suspect he'll do that very soon. Yes, we'll lose Saunders, other recruits and existing players. As we look around, that's the new norm in college football. Players leave by the dozens and teams bring in the same amount of portal players from other programs. I like stability, and UK has been more stable than many SEC programs over the last 5 years. We'll lose a top coordinator soon and several players will bolt. The bigger question is whether we can replace those departing players with similar talent.

People have short memories, they seem to forget Calipari's constant, yearly flirtations with the NBA and even with the likes of UCLA/Texas in recent years. It's not a bad thing others may be interested in your coaches.

I don't see what people are so upset about other schools being interested in UK coaches. How many times did Joker get interviews from other programs for head coach? I don't know for sure, but I would say it's less than 1. You either have good coaches that other programs want and other programs are always there with offers, or you have coaches no one wants and are on staff until retirement or getting fired. Which do you want?

With the portal being what it is, I don't think it matters this year.

However..... even if he stays we have to start looking for a replacement ASAP. Coen shows yet again he is willing to entertain any decent offer despite the words he says. The rams job unexpectedly coming open was one thing but chasing this bears job is quite another.

If we put all our eggs in his basket, when he leaves next year (assuming he doesn't this year) we will be decimated by outgoing portal guys if we don't have a successor in place before it happens. When we had woody we could've buffered for one season but now he's gone.

So imo we need to do whatever it takes to keep him this year but get the replacement lined up for next year one way or the other.

It’s wild how some of you folks act like Stoops is the first coach to ever entertain a better job opening. A&M is a step up from UK. I don’t like saying that but it’s true, and their resources for football are far greater than ours. I don’t blame him for being interested in that job. I’m glad he’s back.

There’s a lot to be upset about Stoops over, but coming ack to UK after A&M having interest in him, no matter how it went down (and we probably won’t know the whole story for a long time, if ever), is a positive for us. And I’d be willing to bet Stoops was going to try and take Coen with him, not just leave him hanging with no place to go.
Agree, we are trying to take the next step, we may get it done with Stoops and Coen but we may not. A bowl victory over Clemson would have been a bit of a springboard but that didn't happen. Just about everyone in the SEC(other than Vandy) has more football resources than UK. We are doing pretty well with what we have to work with but that still leaves us on the short end of the stick 70 or 80 percent of the time.

I hope Coen stays another year at least. I think we can get a little more out of him being here. If he wants out with the best deal possible put up a great/good year here. Same goes for Stoops have a take notice year at UK then get out if that is your goal.

Reactions: catben and sefus12
Has the damage been done? That is, given all that has gone down, could Coach Coen come back and succeed?
Of course not. This is not the good ole days where coaches and players don't move around.

There is no doubt that Stoops has probably diminished some of the goodwill he had around here, but if he comes back this year and wins games and beats Florida, Louisville, and Tennessee, then people will want to build a statue.

Same with Coen. These coordinators move around constantly. Score points, develop the QB and WR, and people will love it.

If Coen stays, this could help with recruiting. They can show how, in demand, he is for NFL coaches/teams.

There is no "damage" other than the already broken brains of a few miscreants on this message board

-no current player hit the portal
-no inbound portal additions changed their minds
-our star 2025 QB recruit didn't decommit...actually is visiting this weekend

So again...define the ***damage*** already done?

I wanna' believe that he was encouraged to "interview" while knowingly understanding that he wasn't going anywhere...

To improve his "cache" for UK's recruiting

Hope springs eternal...

I think Coen will be back, but these top offensive coordinators are always gonna be tempted. Coen obviously has something because too many people are looking at him.

I wanna' believe that he was encouraged to "interview" while knowingly understanding that he wasn't going anywhere...

To improve his "cache" for UK's recruiting

Hope springs eternal...
Might be some truth to him being encouraged...but it came from his agent, not UK. And ovb not to help recruiting, but to keep his name among "hot up and commers" for the future job searches.

There is no "damage" other than the already broken brains of a few miscreants on this message board

-no current player hit the portal
-no inbound portal additions changed their minds
-our star 2025 QB recruit didn't decommit...actually is visiting this weekend

So again...define the ***damage*** already done?
Fair point....but rewind this 25 days and Coen is in all these job openings...you think UK is getting Brock Vandegriff? Maclin?

And look forward to next recruiting cycle.....I'd have my eye on negative recruiting and how the upcoming kids will feel getting on board with UK now that it's the second go round on Coen's desire to move around this much.

If Coen stays, this could help with recruiting. They can show how, in demand, he is for NFL coaches/teams.
It's a fact, and if it weren't for the OSU angle, I'd consider it possible the situation is just a publicity stunt. It might be anyway. Perhaps the OSU interest is just serendipitous, and it's fun to play games?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT