ADVERTISEMENT

Dakich leaving ESPN

In the interview, Dakich also joked about KSR’s Matt Jones.

Moron:
He promised that even when he veered into political or social discussions, “it’s gonna be all sports based. It’s gonna be a ton of gambling.”

BSM readers may remember that Tyler McComas profiled Dakich and his attempt to work off the money he lost betting on the NCAA Tournament by delivering food for DoorDash. Dakich told Outkick 360 that he only has one more week of driving before he is at his stopping point. He also revealed that it was losing $4000 on the first round of the tournament that started that journey.

In the interview, Dakich also joked about KSR’s Matt Jones.

Moron:
He promised that even when he veered into political or social discussions, “it’s gonna be all sports based. It’s gonna be a ton of gambling.”

BSM readers may remember that Tyler McComas profiled Dakich and his attempt to work off the money he lost betting on the NCAA Tournament by delivering food for DoorDash. Dakich told Outkick 360 that he only has one more week of driving before he is at his stopping point. He also revealed that it was losing $4000 on the first round of the tournament that started that journey.
Doesn’t sound like the best person to take gambling advice from. Guess I’ll stick to here for all the hot tips and going large!

Reactions: Fox2monk
Not turning this into a Matt Jones thing, but I've been more and more surprised to hear him pop up on sports radio down here in NC on the weekends. I think it's ESPN radio but not sure. I don't think I'll ever get used to hearing him on the radio. Sounds like such a Huckleberry for a well-educated man.

I know he had trolling tendencies, but Dakich was the best at actual basketball analysis. He showed considerably deeper Xs and Os knowledge than the guys ESPN usually trots out. And he was brutally honest, didn’t give a shit who he pissed off.

I don’t know if I liked him as a person, but I did like him as an analyst. I immensely prefer listening to Dakich over the phony ass-kissing schtick of a Bilas or Vitale. It’s a shame that he’ll no longer be doing games.

Last edited:
I always thought Dakich was a decent analyst. The thing that got him in trouble was his ego and his mouth, which worked hand in hand. If he wasn't getting enough attention to satisfy his ego, he'd open his mouth and make some kind of ridiculous statement. I know that's how the sports reporter game often works, but I don't have much use for it. Then when he was called out on his stupid statements, he'd make excuses, re-phrase things, say what he "actually meant" and basically back down. So, I would lose more respect for him because he was so hypocritical and it was clear he didn't actually believe what he was saying- but was just an attention hound.

But when he was just calling games, I thought he did a pretty good job.

He was my favorite. Seems like he didn’t toe the company line of “celebrate and promote Duke basketball “ . He rubbed some people the wrong way but at least he was his own man and stated his own opinions. It will be a GREAT day when Vitale and Bilas are done.
If Bilas or Vitale are calling a game....mute is on for me...Bilas is so pompous that he has become worse than Vitale

I always thought Dakich was a decent analyst. The thing that got him in trouble was his ego and his mouth, which worked hand in hand. If he wasn't getting enough attention to satisfy his ego, he'd open his mouth and make some kind of ridiculous statement. I know that's how the sports reporter game often works, but I don't have much use for it. Then when he was called out on his stupid statements, make excuses, re-phrase things, say what he "actually meant" and basically back down. So, I would lose more respect for him because he was so hypocritical and it was clear he didn't actually believe what he was saying- but was just an attention hound.

But when he was just calling games, I thought he did a pretty good job.

But IL, that’s how all media is driven today. It’s everywhere.

Not turning this into a Matt Jones thing, but I've been more and more surprised to hear him pop up on sports radio down here in NC on the weekends. I think it's ESPN radio but not sure. I don't think I'll ever get used to hearing him on the radio. Sounds like such a Huckleberry for a well-educated man.

He has a face for radio and a voice for silent movies.

Dakich understands the game and is able to give basketball insights better than most. However, he never learned to put personal biases aside and be a professional. That’s why listening to him is always such a mixed bag.

Dakich understands the game and is able to give basketball insights better than most. However, he never learned to put personal biases aside and be a professional. That’s why listening to him about as also such a mixed bag.

Your name is interesting. What’s the back story?

I know he had trolling tendencies, but Dakich was the best ESPN had at actual basketball analysis. He showed considerably deeper Xs and Os knowledge than the guys they usually trot out. And he was brutally honest, didn’t give a shit who he pissed off.

I don’t know if I liked him as a person, but I did like him as an analyst. I immensely prefer listening to Dakich over the phony ass-kissing schtick of a Bilas or Vitale. It’s a shame that he’ll no longer be doing games.
I agree. It’s not the fact that he trolled and riled up BBN, but the fact that he liked to troll and rile. I remember hitting hornets nests with rocks when I was a kid. It was nothing personal against the wasps.

Reactions: UK90
I agree. It’s not the fact that he trolled and riled up BBN, but the fact that he liked to troll and rile. I remember hitting hornets nests with rocks when I was a kid. It was nothing personal against the wasps.
Funny thing is he usually was very complementary of Cal and UK. Said all sorts of good stuff about us. And he often ripped IU.

But, yeah, there were a few occasions where he poked that stick at the BBN seemingly just because he thought it’d be funny to see our reaction.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Dakich is great. I live here in Indy and listen to him fairly regularly. Most of the UK fans that don't like him can't get past the fact he played for IU. He's a straight shooter. Trust me, there isn't much love there for Bobby Knight. As a regular listener, I will certainly miss him.
Straight shooter. He's trashed UK many times and if a UK fan responds he blocks them. Big baby.

Dakich is great. I live here in Indy and listen to him fairly regularly. Most of the UK fans that don't like him can't get past the fact he played for IU. He's a straight shooter. Trust me, there isn't much love there for Bobby Knight. As a regular listener, I will certainly miss him.
Have to agree. He was much better that some of the guys on ESPN. Told it like it was , guess that is what i liked about him.

Straight shooter. He's trashed UK many times and if a UK fan responds he blocks them. Big baby.
Friend, I can guarantee that I've listened to Dakich probably more than 99% of the folks on this board. I've rarely heard him say anything negative about Cal or UK. Now, he may say things BBN nation doesn't want to hear, but I wouldn't say he "trashed UK many times". Certainly not on the regular. And yes, he was a straight shooter. He interacts with fans all the time, but has zero tolerance for ridiculous ones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT