ADVERTISEMENT

Dakari Johnson - City of Palms 2012

UKPhilly

Junior
Jan 19, 2005
DAKARI JOHNSON - Montverde Academy (FL): 6-10, 250, C, 2013 (re-classified) - I last saw him as a St. Patrick's frosh at 2011 Spalding Hoophall Classic in Springfield, MA. Was tall, but had freshman balance and footwork, playing sparingly against top level talent. Now he has matured and has a man's body. Runs the floor extremely well for a big, has great hands, keeps the ball high after rebounding. No bad fouls during the 4 games. I hate comparisons because they are usually not close to accurate, however, I'll take my stab at comparing him to Nazr, post-treadmill. Plays low post and rarely roams away from the basket to look for a shot. As you would expect from a Kevin Boyle coached team, Dakari plays a team game. His Sophomore season, Dakari had to sit out due to transferring to Montverde. This is his Junior year, however, he is re-classifying making him a Senior. Can't imagine how much better he will be as he gains experience playing every game against seasoned competition! In first game which was against weak host school Bishop Verot (playing without their injured center), Dakari was 11-11 (mostly putbacks and dunks) with 10 rebounds.

The second game was a great matchup against Chicago's Whitney Young and their top-rated Junior center, Jahlil Okafor (6-9, 270). It was a great battle of centers with two different games. Dakari more than held his own and finished with 3-11 FG, 3-7 FT, 9 Pts, 17 Reb, 4 Bks, 2 TO, 2 Stls.

Third game was against Long Beach Poly (CA), facing Missouri bound Jordan Bell, a 6-8 jumping jack. Bell is probably a 3 or 4 and had no choice against the heavier Dakari, who finished with 8-12 shooting, 17 points, 17 rebs, and 7 blocks.

In the Championship game Dakari played what was probably his best game of the tourney, going against Eric Mika, a really fine 6-10, 225, Lone Peak (Highland, UT) BYU commit. In outplaying Mika, Dakari ran the floor, rebounded, blocked shots, played D, and just wore down Mika (tourney slam dunk contest winner).

Dakari is already very good, but I think he will show a lot of growth as he learns the college game and competes against talented college centers every game.
This post was edited on 1/28 6:01 PM by UKPhilly

With Josh Smith of UCLA heading to the G-Town Hoyas, you can take them off Dakari's list of possible schools. Should be down to UK and the Cuse.

Originally posted by YardCat:
With Josh Smith of UCLA heading to the G-Town Hoyas, you can take them off Dakari's list of possible schools. Should be down to UK and the Cuse.
Not true. Hoyas are still recruiting Johnson and are ahead of Syracuse. Smith even when "in shape" will only play ~20 minutes a game.

Originally posted by Hoya1987:

Originally posted by YardCat:
Not true. Hoyas are still recruiting Johnson and are ahead of Syracuse. Smith even when "in shape" will only play ~20 minutes a game.
How did that Dakari Johnson recruitment work out for you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT