Who should be next HC?

• Curt Cignetti

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Jon Sumrall

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Why would that guy leave Indiana for a much tougher job where he won't win anything?

Sumrall is obvious choice. Another home grown barnie keep it n the UK family type hire. Everyone will give a lot of honeymoon period graces, just like they will with Pope.

Win win for barnie because even if they don't win right away fans will give them a pass IMO.

I don’t know enough about Cignetti yet to make that call, but I feel like the fans consensus at the moment is for John Sumrall. Almost to the point he’s the assumed replacement. And I feel like Mitch would pull another Mark Pope type decision and pretty much make him say no first.

I don’t know enough about Cignetti yet to make that call, but I feel like the fans consensus at the moment is for John Sumrall. Almost to the point he’s the assumed replacement. And I feel like Mitch would pull another Mark Pope type decision and pretty much make him say no first.

Pope wasn't the first choice for basketball. We made two national title winning coaches say no first.

I think Sumrall will be the first and only offer for football.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Cignetti wouldnt leave an easier place to win in the top 2 leagues for UK. IU can also match any offer UK could come up with. Unfortunately unless Stoops retires or a team takes him like UC did Satterfield he’s here for at least 1 more year.

Reactions: catben
Why would that guy leave Indiana for a much tougher job where he won't win anything?

Sumrall is obvious choice. Another home grown barnie keep it n the UK family type hire. Everyone will give a lot of honeymoon period graces, just like they will with Pope.

Win win for barnie because even if they don't win right away fans will give them a pass IMO.
I agree he won’t go outside sumrall or, as some have reported, that he likes Brad white. It would be just like him to pick white over sumrall because of some personality preference or whatever instead of valuing that sumrall now has a head coaching record to show everyone.

MB is loyal to a fault. Brad White will be rewarded with the first opportunity as HC if MB is making the next hire.

• Sad
Reactions: seccats04
Would Vince work for White?
I'm not sure, but I doubt it.
If you look at Vince, he does not appear to be in very good shape physically and appears to be nearing the end of his career as a recruiter.
All of that travel takes a toll on an old man's body.

Reactions: JrandoUK
Most fans just want to win and don't even know who john sumrall is. He is the choice of the ride or die Barny/stoops supporters that have finally given up realizing the current situation is untenable. I am not against sumrall but you go for the best available that have proven it at the highest level first not someone just because there are an alumni or played here.

I would say as lazy as Mitch is he will promote White. White will do all he can to keep Vince. He will try to keep some of the defense coaches but will have some offense turnover. Mitch will not work hard to find the most qualified.

Most fans just want to win and don't even know who john sumrall is. He is the choice of the ride or die Barny/stoops supporters that have finally given up realizing the current situation is untenable. I am not against sumrall but you go for the best available that have proven it at the highest level first not someone just because there are an alumni or played here.

Which is what we did n basketball too.

I would say as lazy as Mitch is he will promote White. White will do all he can to keep Vince. He will try to keep some of the defense coaches but will have some offense turnover. Mitch will not work hard to find the most qualified.
White's defense was not impressive last night.

Which is what we did n basketball too.
Had the same thoughts.... Barney had someone he was dead set on and never truly... only in a token fashion... pursued anyone else. IMO... if and when the Stoops tenure ends, they won't even truly go after anyone but Sumrall, maybe that will be good but I think it should be a full business decision, not based on emotion of hiring one of our boys.

Jon Sumrall, spell his name right.

Had the same thoughts.... Barney had someone he was dead set on and never truly... only in a token fashion... pursued anyone else. IMO... if and when the Stoops tenure ends, they won't even truly go after anyone but Sumrall, maybe that will be good but I think it should be a full business decision, not based on emotion of hiring one of our boys.

He took a couple of supposed big swings at Drew and Hurley but then he didn't try anyone else.

I have no issue with Pope since he was hired as he has said and did everything right but if he played on the 97 Arizona title team or 95 ucla title team I doubt our fans would have given him the love they have based purely on head ccoaching resume.

Kliff Kingsbury. Head Coaching experience on two levels and now OC for high powered offense. Offer him 6-8 million
I’ll never get the fascination by some with Kingsbury. He was the worst coach TTU had since the mid 80’s. He was 35-40/19-35 at TTU. He never even finished .500 in conference any of the years he was there. He’s only had a winning record in 3 of his 10 seasons as a HC.

There is a difference in hiring someone just because they are are an alumni and played here and someone who is one of the top G4 coaches in college football. Dude is 28-6/20-2 as a HC. He will be on a lot of P4 radars, not just UK.

Reactions: entropy13
If you can get Cignetti he is the correct answer. But my guess is he will land a top tier job if this season pans out like it seems it may. He will also be 64 at start of next season...have to wonder how long he will want to coach.

Lol...do you all just think flavors or the month or ppl having success would be interested in UK.

Cignetti move from IU to UK is barely a step up. There's 2 conferences that matter, he's in one, and if he succeeds there his next move would be a school like florida, for example

This will be heresy to many…..Vince is the most crucial staff member because of the recruiting pipeline to Ohio. So whatever decision would be made in that scenario he would absolutely be priority 1 to retain. But if Barnhart makes ANY head coach decision with keeping Vince influencing it, then he’s lost. Yes, he’s absolutely a priority but there are more important things. We were getting 6-8 wins off of a roster of mostly 2-star guys after Brooks climbed out of probation and that was with junior and senior classes recruited under limits of 16 and 18 scholarships per class. Yeah we need to recruit and do it well but get a real coach before thinking Vince is some deciding factor on who it is.

Pope wasn't the first choice for basketball. We made two national title winning coaches say no first.

I think Sumrall will be the first and only offer for football.
This. Pope was the best choice after we were told no by Drew and Hurley, assuming it’s true that the UK Pres blacklisted Pearl, Oats, Wade, Samson, anyone with an NCAA blemish (even if it’s legal in todays climate) or big personality. The only other option was waiting for Billy D to finish the NBA season and hope he didn’t leave you hanging a 3rd time and then we are stuck hiring a legit nobody.

Lol...do you all just think flavors or the month or ppl having success would be interested in UK.

Cignetti move from IU to UK is barely a step up. There's 2 conferences that matter, he's in one, and if he succeeds there his next move would be a school like florida, for example
As mentioned above, Cignetti's 64...he's going nowhere. He'll retire at IU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT