ADVERTISEMENT

Current CFP Projection

Chum83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2020
I posted this in another thread but I thought I would start a new one. This will change a lot by the end of the season, but I thought it would be interesting to look at what the CFP would currently be if it were being held today (assuming the highest ranked team in each conference actually wins the conference-which won’t happen). This is what I came up with (I believe it’s correct-I think I got the 5 highest ranked teams from different conferences in there but correct me if I’m wrong).

1. Alabama would play the winner of:
9. Penn St @ 8. Oregon

2. Ohio State would play the winner of:
10 Missouri @ 7 Georgia

3. Miami would play the winner of:
11 Michigan @ 6. Tennessee

4 Iowa State would play the winner of
12. Boise State @ 5. Texas

I think in that scenario the semifinals would be:
Alabama VS Texas
and
Ohio State/UGA VS Tennessee

Basically whoever gets that #5 spot will have a cakewalk to the semifinals because they will play the 2 lowest ranked of the 5 conference champs. I mean who would you rather play, Boise AND Iowa State, or only one of Georgia, Oregon, or Tennessee to get to the semis? Give me the #5 seed & the extra game even if I have to play the top seed in the semis. Tennessee at the #6 wouldn’t have too bad of a road either playing Michigan at home & then Miami on a neutral field. They would also avoid the 2 best teams (as currently ranked) until the finals (if they were to make it that far).

What I’m getting at is there’s no incentive to win the SEC championship this year. Rest your starters in the SEC championship & if you are the highest rated team that isn’t a conference champ you are probably good enough to also rest them in the 2nd halves of both of your first 2 playoff games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.